Thread: Please be careful.

Default Please be careful.

Take a moment to pause and reflect. A sad event. A reminder to not let your guard down. Please do not respond too this thread with any negative comments. Just pause and reflect a moment on your own desicion making in the mountains. I am headed out late next week with my 15 and 17 year old in the PWS hopefully for their first two goats. Jay will be constantly on our minds. http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-goat-h...,3621522.story

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and hunting partner. Please consider doing the same.

Indeed. Twice in the last two weeks my wife and I have passed on pursuing a billy that was in plain sight because we judged the terrain to be simply too risky. It's entirely likely that we could have pulled off a successful hunt, but the price is simply too high to pay if it went wrong. We were in "no fall" terrain where a slip would mean coming off the mountain in a helicopter - possibly in a body bag if the fall were bad enough.

I'm very sorry to hear of yet another death in the mountains.

Goats live where they do as a means of defense against would be pursuers. It's their court and they hold the home team advantage. Be careful out there!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Tragic. Be safe out there guys !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Very sad day for many family and friends for sure.....
    I found myself on a VERY steep snow covered slope in 1989 chasing 2 big bull elk on a Montana moutainside and when I paused for a breather I realized how stupid I had been and the pickle I was in. Bare slopes, about a 2000 foot steep grade and one slip I would be out of control. Took a few minutes to regain composure and literally I was too scared to go back, deciding going on up was safer. As it turned out is was, but a few hours later on my way down I fell dislocating my right shoulder. That trip has never left my mind and I have passed a lot of game since remembering that day...

RIP
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thank you for sharing, we hunters all need to be aware and its instances like this that we need to take to heart.

I knew Jay personally, I worked at the hatchery with him and he is one of my best friends and trapping partner. He was a heck of a guy and it saddens me to see him go so young. The only thing I can take solace in is that he went doing what he loved to do. He is also a member here, #1duck.

Miss you always bro.

Truly a sad day indeed. A reminder to live every day as if its our best day ever. Never take anything for granted and always be the best you can.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Prayers for everyone involved.

Sorry to hear about this accident. Crampons, axe, harness,rope,webbing,anchors, and repelling device are a part of my goat kit. After years of playing on the edge I now carry the extra weight.
    My sincere condolence to all his friends and family.

Sad to hear we lost another hunter. Prayers go out to family and friends.

My condolences to the family and friends...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Sorry to hear it, thanks for the reminder.