Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if asked to delay your trip?

Question What would you do if asked to delay your trip?

I am curious what others would do if the transporter you had arranged and scheduled asked you to postpone your departure, just two days before that date.

Scenario: I had two hunts planned and between them I had a day and half to transition. During the transition I called the transporter to confirm the trip. He asked if I would delay my trip (depart Monday instead of Friday) because he had a call from another group in the field who wanted to come out earlier than scheduled. They were out during the wind storm that blew thru the first week of Sept. I do not know the preparedness or experience of the of the group asking to be pulled form the field early. There was no medical or physical emergency, they did have an elderly gentleman who was uncomfortable. The transporter did say he would honor my schedule if I wanted to. He did offer to take me in on Sunday, still a delay for the start of my hunt.

If you were the guys stuck out in the field with your dad who was uncomfortable, I would think you'd hope another fella would be able to accomodate that. If you don't have flexibility in extendeding your hunt a few days, I would be a little less excited.

Either way it stinks, if it's a moose hunt later is better ;-)
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Thats a tough one, but if the group in the field is not in a emergency situation well then their sh*t outta luck in my opinion. I've called before for an early pickup and been told they didnt have a break in their schedule to alter my scheduled pickup. No big deal, we hung out another night and got picked up when we were supposed to. I think you have a good transporter that is taking the time out of his busy schedule to try to accomodate the folks in the field but if it is going to affect your trip in any way then I'd continue on with your original plans. However, if its no big deal for you guys to change your dates alittle then go for it.

Bring out the others first and go out sunday.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think it is a bad idea to give yourself 1-2 days between hunts. I see this alot and almost always there is a delay.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I'd just defer until the others have been picked up..Sun or Mon.

Guess I'd hate to be stuck out there and not be able to get out if I needed/wanted to... kind of a "Golden Rule" or Karmic sort of situation.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'd say if you have the flexability to give them the time then do so and perhaps the transporter will do you a favor or two if you need it?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default Delay

Would depend on how long your hunt was going to be. If you were only hunting like a week I would say NO.

what day was he planning on getting the other group? your saying he wants to change it from Friday to Monday or possibly Sunday. so he wants to delay it 3 days or possibly only 2? I would've asked him what day he was wanting to fly the others out. if he was supposed to fly me in on Friday but wanted to fly them out on Friday then i would say fine but would make sure he flew me in on Saturday! if he wasn't gonna fly them out until Saturday or later then i would say no and why would you even ask me to delay?

Work with them if you can. The good stuff will come to you in return.

Maybe I'm missing something as I've never been able to do a fly out drop off hunt, but wouldn't it be up to the transporter to make the trip and pick up the group early if needed without inconviencing the new party? Yeah it's an extra trip into the area, but why mess with the new groups plans? Just cuirous.... Not wanting to cause arguement here......
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

What are you going to do for me? is what I'd ask the transporter. Assuming you have a life and job and obligations to get to, he is asking you to cut your hunt short. Is he going to drop you a note asking you to come out two days early so he can accomodate his next client? maybe he'll cut you a break on the rate for the inconvenience, or a discount on next year's cut short hunt.

I'm with CGSwimmer. If the other party has no emergency then they should put another log on the fire and suck it up.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

If it's not an emergency or potential emergency then I'd figure out how much the delay is going to cost you. You could have been working those 2 days and cutting a hunt short might cost you the animal you are after. I'd add it up and if they are "uncomfortable enough" then they would be happy to pay. Either way it puts the decision on them.

Quote Originally Posted by fly_ View Post
    If it's not an emergency or potential emergency then I'd figure out how much the delay is going to cost you. You could have been working those 2 days and cutting a hunt short might cost you the animal you are after. I'd add it up and if they are "uncomfortable enough" then they would be happy to pay. Either way it puts the decision on them.
    The group in the field is already in a "potential" emergency situation. The old guy's well being has to be considered. Just call it an Act of God, which that windstorm was, and deal with it. Sunday won't cost you as much in delay as the hold guy's Sunday might cost him in comfort - - - or even life !

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    maybe he'll cut you a break on the rate for the inconvenience, or a discount on next year's cut short hunt.

I'm with CGSwimmer. If the other party has no emergency then they should put another log on the fire and suck it up.
    This is a good thread, if for nothing else than causing everyone to consider, what it may cost,...someone else,...
    to go out either unprepared for Alaskan survival, or much worse, to just "Decide," you're uncomfortable and want to go home

I'm not apt to lean in the old gentlemans favor in the idea that, "Because he is uncomfortable," he can screw with other guys plans, no matter how tight they are

C'mon folks, you're going hunting in Alaska, it's not wise, much less cool, to go out "needing/expecting, Immediate Extraction,"
    If that is your mentality, then stay down south where you're not risking everyone's safety for your comfort
    If you Can handle it, then be the yielding one, make sure the Transporter knows, "If your schedule is totally clear, we'd appreciate an early ride out, but not if it cost anyone else"

That's how Coast Guard folks get in Real trouble sometimes, and I'll admit, it starts to get my blood heating up, to think someone can "Expect" that for reasons of Discomfort

If the Transporter does decide to cost this guy his hunting time, he should offer up front, some serious compensation, give him a deal, rather than just lean on him for a favor which will benefit his reputation with other hunters, and cost this hunter valuable time

Anything less, asking like that, "Well there's an older gentleman, uncomfortable out there,"....seems like manipulation, and leaves the OP almost no choice but to feel like a jerk, when, unless it is a true emergency, he shouldn't be left holding the ball like that
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

It's your call, but if he's "uncomfortable? then he's hunting in Alaska. This is the land of hunting for 10 days in cold rain/snow/wind/ice/being wet and miserable are the norms. Uncomfy isn't a reason for me to delay my hunt. Shoulda brought more books and a deck of cards.

Why cant he drop you off and catch this guy on a back haul, if this is indeed the situation... Maybe you arent gonna be in the same area or something like that but if ist fairly close he should be able to catch the guy on a trip coming back I would think.... Seems like a long time to wait an extra two or three days, It would be nice to do the right thing but this sounds a little fishy to me... Different if he said can you wait till morning so I could get this group out but to wait three days...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    The group in the field is already in a "potential" emergency situation. The old guy's well being has to be considered. Just call it an Act of God, which that windstorm was, and deal with it. Sunday won't cost you as much in delay as the hold guy's Sunday might cost him in comfort - - - or even life !
    Potential emergency? Every day you have air in your lungs is a potential emergency. Welcome to life on planet earth.

Assuming no exaggeration in the telling, the "older gentleman" is not in any danger, he is merely uncomfortable. Translation: I'm not having fun anymore and I want to go home. NOW!
    If his well being was in jeopardy whoever called the transporter would have stated so. In which case the transporter would not have ASKED, he would have INFORMED Burke of the situation and went and picked the old guy up and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

My guess is the older gentleman is wealthy and the transporter wants a return client whereas Burke is a working stiff (like most of us) who may or may not use a transporter next year.

Play hardball Burke.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

whats really interesting about all this...

is all the transporters i know, drop one off... and pick one up on way back in...

i think there is more to story
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    whats really interesting about all this...

is all the transporters i know, drop one off... and pick one up on way back in...

i think there is more to story
    I agree with Vince, seems like 2 to 3 days for this type of situation seems odd?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast