Thread: S&W What Do I have????

Default S&W What Do I have????

P1040357.jpg P1040358.jpg

Trying to find out what I have and what it may be worth. S&W J frame?,was told its a Hart barrel,under side of the barrel is stamped "J M" "DAVIS". bought it 10-15 years ago because the price matched the cash in my pocket.

Thanks
    John

P1040361.jpg

---------------------------------

K-frame, rebarreled, with a big sight rib added, either 38 special or 357mag. Done up for PPC competition. Practical Police Competition, which used to be done exclusively with revolvers. Not much anymore. Nice shooter, but hardly any demand.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I'd bet there are more mods that just the barrel and sight change. If set up for PPC, there's probably some chamfering of the chamber mouths (but not the star) to ease speedloading wadcutters, as well as serious action tuning for DA. Davis was popular in that generation and turned out some real tack drivers with glossy smooth double actions. I'd take it out of retirement and use it for small game head shots. It will quickly become your favorite companion.

Very nice piece...hardly anyone turns these out anymore, of course there's little demand. I had a cop buddy years ago who had a similar setup for PPC and Police Olympics.

Scary accurate. The conundrum about customs...the more you do to it the less they're worth-I'd just shoot it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks guys. I'll get some 38s and see what she'll do. action is smooth.

Davis was a well reputed maker of those revolvers, last one we had we got $600 on auction IIRC

I believe folks are missing something here. This is not stamped for Bill Davis of Cake&Davis..J.M. Davis is a reknowned gun collector and if one of his personal guns the value just went up.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...9_CUTLIN155702

With the pinned barrel it would put the gun in his lifetime
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

They've got a 40,000 sq ft. museum of J.M. Davis stuff. Might want to get that checked out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._M._D...torical_Museum
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Davis built PPC guns way back when Wilson and many others were doing likewise. Davis guns were considered best of the best by cops who shot this type of competition.
    Steve

Again we are talking Bill Davis of Cake&Davis PPC guns not the J.M. Davis this one is stamped on the underlug.

I sent the museum the pictures. waiting for a reply. "Amigo Will" thank you. the Davis name had me confused too. Bill and J.M. are to different people. Bill built guns and J.M. collected them

Hope it works out well for you.Both ways the gun is a bit of history but one is alot older.

Amigo Will, wasn't Bill Davis a L.A. cop himself? About the same time, his brother in arms, Houge started making handgun grips?
    Steve

Bill and Cake were both CHP I believe.When Cake retired Bill purchased the business and called it Cake&Davis. Davis invented his adjustable three setting front sight as his first step in PPC history as a builder.It was 7,25 and 50 setting.

Curator of the Museum got back to me. said he has never seen a gun in the collection that was stamped with JMs name. he is going to help me try to figure it out. he has a few connections

Finding the true history of a gun is pure enjoyment. I had a old SXS hammer gun once that had wierd for the gun barrel markings. I traced it to being issue to Englands home guard durning WWII.Now days a old SXS wouldn't seem like much but many at the time were issued Pike Poles I found out.