Thread: Sad State of Affairs

Default Sad State of Affairs

Piscor Ergo Sum

Prices go up and prices go down. So it is with farmers and their crops. I grew up on a dairy farm and that is the way it is. Milke went up and milk went down. They taxed some of us to buy out dairy herds to try and make the pirce of milk go up. What a joke. If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Those are the risks you take in business.

I don't think many would disagree with you, but I'm not sure the article says anything about not being able to stand the heat. It was by a pretty good writer, who writes about the seafood business...nothing more, or less. I took it to mean, the prices have gone down, and operating costs have gone up.

She did say "feeling the squeeze" in reference to the costs...so in a way I can see what you are saying. Still thought I'd say she's just reporting this as part of her overall reporting on fisheries.

I did a search on this " Fishermen Feeling the Squeeze By LAINE WELCH . 2012 "

and found a paper to the entire article not just the ADN portion. It had stuff on salmon, coral, and all sorts of stuff relating to commercial fishing. I'd link to that paper, but I'm not sure if I can. My point being that once again, she's not saying much beyond the costs are up, and the prices are down. Nothing going on here, move along.

Seems like a good indicator of our tough economy. When people are pinching pennies they are either going to avoid buying fish or go after the cheaper ones like pollock or farmed tilapia.

Default Bad for fishermen, good for the public

SInce there are many more consumers than commercial fishermen in Alaska I'll have to say that lower prices are really good for Alaska as a whole!

Unlike oil prices which increase our state revenue and jobs as prices go up, the small revenue from the comm fish business really doesn't have that much impact on the majority of our citizens. As I've pointed out before- a big chunk of the money goes to the lower 48 anyway. Let Seattle suffer a bit so Alaskan can enjoy our fish at a more affordable cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    I don't think many would disagree with you, but I'm not sure the article says anything about not being able to stand the heat. It was by a pretty good writer, who writes about the seafood business...nothing more, or less. I took it to mean, the prices have gone down, and operating costs have gone up.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I don't believe I made a value comment anywhere as for if any of her article was "good" or "bad". I'd ask you what you are talking about, but you'll likely tell us all regardless.