Thread: Spring bear hunt

Default Spring bear hunt

Good to see this forum get started, & thanks Snyd for volunteering to mod. Glad you beat me to it

Looking forward to a handgun bear hunt coming up mid May.
    I'm the "invited", & not the instigator. Up in the Caswell area, in country I've never hunted.

There will be a total of 5 folks, 3 Alaskans & two out of staters. The Alaskans will be hunting brownies & blacks, the out of staters blacks only.
    I'll be taking my Encore with two barrels.

#1 15" (including brake) 450 Marlin. Got it shooting nice with the 1st jacketed load I tried (cast were NOT shoting well), 50 gr H322 & 405 Remingtons, but the velocity is a little lower than I hoped (1570) so I'll bump it up a bit (max is 52.5). Accuracy was nice. Looking for 1650fps min.

#2, 17" (including brake) 35 Whelan AI. Still searching for a load there. So far I have 200 gr Speers @ just under 2350fps with Varget, & still a ways from max load. Think I'll maybe try some 225s.
    Anyone have any experience with tha 200 gr SP Hornady's on heavy game leaving the barrel 2400-2500 fps? How about the some weight Hornady RN?
    A 225 gr you would recomend at around 2400fps?

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Homer Alaska

Well no help from me on theses calibers and or bullets .
    Just wanted to say good luck on your upcoming hunt .Be carefull and keep your head on a swivel .
    Are you going to use the out of staters as bait ????

Just kidding .

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!