Thread: Polaris 6x6 going over backward!!

Default Polaris 6x6 going over backward!!

I have a 05 Polaris 6x6 with big tires in front and tracks. When I try to clime out a deep mud hole or go up a steep hill (> 100%) in low and 6-wheel drive my machine tried to roll over backward. The problem appears to be the front end is so light that the tires it will not stay down. Last week I made a rack so I could put a 5 gal gas can in front of the of the front rack to help weight down the front end. This help but not as much as I would have like. Do other people have the same problem?

Never heard of this on a 6x6 and I have never had tracks. Some weight up front always helps in these scenarios, as does less weight in back. Don't I I don't know how steep of a grade you attempted or what you tried to climb over either. Guess anything is possible. I had a 1998 6x6 for 13 years and now have a 2011. They would climb about any trail. Mud was what stopped my machines.

>100%?

I never had mine go over backward...I have climbed steep hills with the front tires off the ground most of the way. When the front lifts up, it will load the rear suspension at some point and settle out. I really doubt it would ever come completely over backward.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

This is the first I have heard of a 6x6 wanting to flip over backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    This is the first I have heard of a 6x6 wanting to flip over backwards.
    Me too. That's been one of the big selling points of the 6x6 for me. I know two men who have broken their backs in a four wheeler roll-over, and that's one of the reasons that my six wheeler gives me a degree of solace - way less likely to go over backwards (and less likely to get stuck).

Default painful

Is there anyone else on here that has actually yourself gotten stomped but-good in a roll-over-backwards accident in a wheeler?

Doing so made me so much more cautious all these years since. This thread is kinda painful to read - reminds me of.... argh.

Anyone here actually been to ATV driving school? On this subject of rolling over backwards, they advise a cool technique I hadn't ever heard of or seen before. Briefly said, it involves perceiving when (ahead, not now) it just too steep to go on. You stop, calmly climb up over the handlebars after putting it in R and gluing your one hand to the brake. Once you're kneeling on the front rack looking backwards you slowly release the brake and drive out/down - backwards. With all of you on the front rack, you're not flipping.

Don't try this for real until you practice first on level ground and then on a play hill. It steers funny (backwards, actually), the weights all wrong, etc... Don't count on getting it right the first time.

FamilyMan, I have never been to any sort of atv or snowmachine riding school but I have sat on the front rack of my 4 wheeler to keep it from flipping over while winching or trying to get it up out of one of those little creek bottoms that are just over a tire wide. It is very challenging to run the controls while sitting up but it does keep the rubber side on the ground.

Yes I have flipped a wheeler over backwards and it was no fun. The first time would have been the winter of 1986 and I was 12 years old riding double on a Honda Big Red going up too steep of a snow hill. Good thing my cousin and I had helmets on! A couple of years later I flipped a two wheel drive 4 wheeler over going over a little hill I had been over multiple times over the years but this time I had a right rear tire that was on the rim. Learned a lot from those two incidents and thankfully have not had any repeats. I will say going from riding snowmachines in the winter to atv's come spring/summer does take a good bit of adjusting to, I get way to comfortable going up steep stuff on sleds and forget wheelers can't do that.

Default flippin'n

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    It is very challenging to run the controls while sitting up but it does keep the rubber side on the ground.
    It is. Practice on some little hills that you really could climb if you wanted to.

I did this one time. At the time I thought I was going to flip if I just leaned back a bit. You have to stay low as you slither onto the front rack (while holding the brake, remember) and its a tense thing.

I've got a couple of long ago bad-ATV stories that learned me good. I totaled one of the first Polaris automatic transmission'd ATV's ever sold (Polaris was first to do this) and rolled it end for end down a mountain better than a half mile, when it was only 3 months old. Before that there was my fully chained up Yammy Kodiak that didn't flip on top of me - no, it dumped me off the back, and then rolled downhill - right over me, laying on the ground - with big nasty ice chains on all 4 of its tires.

Runned over by my own bike.... :-(

Default Polaris 6x6 going over backward!!

First thing I teach my kids as they start riding is that we can fix their bike a heck if a lot cheaper than we can fix their bodies! Step one in a situation where you are doing something on the edge of your capability is to prepare to dismount. If you feel it starting to go throw your weight to counterbalance in such a way that if it goes anyway you can GET OUT OF THE WAY!

Many years ago a friend of my dads was out in the back country and found a deceased man under a 6x6 that had flipped over backwards on a steep climb. I agree 100% that a 6x6 is harder to flip backwards and will climb steeper especially with a load. Only downfall is that if it does go over it will do it much harder than a smaller rig!

Did you let off early thinking it would come over? I've been fully loaded many times going cross country and have the front tires hanging in the air as I pull over an incline. Never had it come over. Anything will flip but the 6 wheeler is about the most stable rig out there.

LuJon has a very good point about being prepared to bail. I know the old man would have the drivers door open, in low range, one foot on the brake and holding the transmission in gear when going up or down monument behind eureka. Wouldn't give it a second thought to jump out if anything happened like jumping out of gear or stalling etc...

Default how to flip it

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Did you let off early thinking it would come over? I've been fully loaded many times going cross country and have the front tires hanging in the air as I pull over an incline. Never had it come over.
    No but I was (obviously) exceeding the limits of the machine.

Hunting in snowy weather, at the last second my 4wheeler-less buddy wants to come along and I foolishly say yes. He was over 250 #, and sat on the back while I drove. Needing to gain some altitude I head up some dangerous routes to do alone. We got to the part where I needed to keep on top of a knife-edge ridge - literally with one front tire on each side of the ridgeline doing a pretty good incline. That's where my passenger decides to hike up his pants - he was probably showing some plumber's crack and it was snowing.

It happened fast. Front tires up.... straight up. I'm lying immediately downhill from my bike which is stopped, sitting on its butt with headlights shining straight up into the sky. My former passenger was a dozen feet behind me on the ground.

I wasn't feeling like I could move too well, but I sure got scared when I thought my bike was going to fall downhill right on top of me but about the time I think to do a quick rollaway - great luck - it fell uphill not down, landing back on its tires. That's when I realized that things with wheels roll downhill.... while it proceeded to roll right over the top of me with all four tires, which had big nasty huge ice-sticker pegs on the chains, on all four tires.

Luckily, 15 feet after running over me my bike ran into the only tree in sight, which prevented it from going off a cliff.

Some of the morals to be learned here is don't take passengers, especially to bad terrain (make'm walk), and the combined human weight on top of an ATV just should never exceed 400 #.

45* is a 100% grade there for (>100%) is greater than 45*. sorry for the confusion.

I have some new information, that might help determine just how high of a wall I could climb before flipping over. I made a wall out of pallets as a test jig. Four pallet high things started getting interesting the front tires were app 20 inch above the ground, and the tracks were flat on the ground. If I added more pallets the tracks would literally drive under the front flipping it over. To test my theory I ....... the doctor just came in I've got to go...................

Did I mention I'm in the emergency room.........

Just kidding

I ran out of pallets and balls to continue. LOL

Here's a picture that might help explain what happening.