Thread: Possible ASAP Relocation

Default Possible ASAP Relocation

Hello everyone! New to the forum, and I have a question...

I recently applied for a job in Seward and I would need to be there by October 1st. That is very soon and I'm not sure how my husband and our dog would relocate there so soon.
    We can drive no problem and we have everything located in a storage here in Northern Idaho.

Our main issue are the firearms and ammo we have. We know we can't drive these items through Canada and there aren't any Ferry trips leaving Bellingham in that time (the only one leaving would be in Canada, thus defeating the purpose of the ferry).
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can do this?
    -Drive and send thing? What would be the cheapest way (it would obviously have to be by water)
    -Should we wait for a ferry? is there another way to get our vehicle across by water?
    -fly? I have no idea, havent really looked into that option...

Any suggestions (and ballpark prices), and SPECIFIC FREIGHT COMPANIES would be great! Thank you!

You can take firearms through Canada, there are just certain restrictions you have to follow, check on their customs website. Or if you have some family or friends there you trust, they can always send the firearms to you via FFL, though you will need a Alaska DL to pick them up. You can also mail long guns to yourself.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

The ferry leaves Bellingham every friday?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

As mentioned if they are standard long rifles/shotguns you can get them thru Canada. A bit of a pain, but doable. If it is pistols and/or other outlawed weapons hopefully you don't have too many of them.
    One option is for one of you to fly in and check the weapons.
    Another option would be to leave them with a trusted friend or family that will come visit you when your settled. They can bring them when they fly up.
    Worst case your first vacation to the lower 48 would be to get your guns.
    As mentioned FFL is always an option--I'm clueless on costs of that?

Well to clear this up, the weapons CANNOT be driven through. They are not allowed. handguns, caliber, etc, they cant be driven through.

We will be calling the ferry because the website is horrible to navigate! I think the problem is that the ferry doesnt go as far as we would need it to go.

We will look into FFL. Thanks for all the responses, I also think I should have been more specific in my post!

You should be able to get where you are going by changing ferries on time.Call them its alot easier.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

There are freight companies that barge directly to Seward and Anchorage. I know folks who haved shipped their vehicles this way. I will try to find the recent advertisement I saw in the local paper to get you the company names.

The ferry is expensive and doesn't save time in my opinion. You may still be subject to customs on the ferry since it stops at a Canadian port (Prince Rupert) I am not sure of the specifics, but worth asking about before deciding on that route.

Good luck on the job!

Its a Alaska port in Rupert so no customs unless you are getting off there and hitting the road.

Default Relocating Too!

Hey! I'm new to the forum and I have no idea how to make a new post, but I'm kind of in the same situation...I'm moving to Kenai for a Real Estate job and I would kind of like to know what I'm getting myself into!

Any tips for travel?
    Living expenses?
    Surrounding community?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JJRaeRae View Post
    Hey! I'm new to the forum and I have no idea how to make a new post, but I'm kind of in the same situation...I'm moving to Kenai for a Real Estate job and I would kind of like to know what I'm getting myself into!

Any tips for travel?
    Living expenses?
    Surrounding community?

Thanks!
    In the upper left of the forum view there is a button for making new posts. Standard V-bulletin software stuff across thousands of forums.

As for Kenai, there are several highly detailed threads on here that contain everything you are asking about. Look through the pages and read those, them come back asking more detailed into in your own thread.

Seward has a 7% sales tax, which Seward uses to "RAPE" the Anchorage and Tourists visitors. I quit buying anything in that town. Seward is a wonderful place to visit. Stunningly beautiful.

7% is not rape, it is just the high side of the lower 48's average

So did you make it to Seward?

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    Not even high, Calif is 8 3/4 %
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    This is true. In CT we are at 6.35%

Ferry from Bellingham does not stop in any Canadian ports (Prince Rupert or otherwise) so no customs, when you look at barge rates for vehicles, boats and misc. the ferry usually is a good deal. BTW the reason for not stopping in Canada enroute from Bellingham is due to the Jones Act.