Thread: Reloading bench

Default Reloading bench

So I am curious if you guys have any suggestions for me as I get into reloading as to what size bench? I have a bout a 4 foot section in my garage to use. Would you build shelves under the bench ?

Kevin

I'd only put shelves underneath if you could do so and leave room for your knees while sitting. Might mean short shelves on one side, or some shelves way back against the wall with room for your knees in front.

One thing I'd suggest is that you make the bench deep. Mine is 36" deep, and I wouldn't make it less than 32". A lot of stuff "lives" on the back of my bench while still leaving plenty of room for work at the front.

Height is a consideration. I built mine tall enough for comfortable standing, but I also have a tall stool I use when I feel like sitting.

Yep, shelving is always good, and 4ft section of bench should be about right
    bench it all the way across, shelves beneath, and maybe one up above if you can for powders,
    stuff "Not to be messed with"

for the sides of the main work area, I really liked those little plastic compartment deals (see pic, on left side)
    for clean dust free storage of the little tools, and components

Have Fun

In this second pic, you can barely see that I notched in, and mounted the press almost dead center
    then had to pull it and move it over to the right
    give yourself a fairly large area in the middle to work your trays of stuff, without having to reach around the press
    that's the final stage of most shuffling around, so set it off to the side a bit

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

Note how the press is right over the leg, thatís what you want right there . . . and on the other side if youíre a lefty.

Shelves on top at the back for heavy stuff, you want it strong and heavy so it stays put when reefing on it, lag it to the wall too if you can.. I have Craftsman middle section boxes on top of mine then shelving all the way to the ceiling where they are wedged tight because I canít lag in . . . so when Iím reefing on it the force is going into the floor joists above and concrete basement floor below. Rigid and tough as you can make the thing because it SUCKS to be sizing brass, wiggling the bench and knocking everything over all the time!

Ether shelving under or some kind of roll out storage like the tool box in the pic there. I have a plywood box that rolls out to be my seating bench. Itís full of powders, extra presses and stuff but Iím moving mine and changing that to fit my new space and not sure what IĎll do yet.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks guys that gives me a few ideas!

Oh and no florescent lights close to it, they mess with electronic scales real bad. Iíve not heard of a problem with the little compact ones but I donít risk it because the ballast in my old shop lights drove me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong with my scale.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I do my reloading in my basement and room is not a problem. I set up two benches, one faces the wall and is for reloading with 2 presses mounted on it (thanks to Andy ), the second is a mobil cabinet I picked up somewhere - I think from a kitchen remodel? And, I have it behind me so I can turn my chair and I use it for gun cleaning, scope mounting etc, to keep the solvents away from the powders, etc...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default Reloading bench

Someone on the board has or had a reloading setup down in their crawl space! I never did the limited space deal but would if I ever had to downsize. As it is I love my reloading room and have multiple stations for different things which eliminated the need to convert one area for all things. That said 90% of what I do is in a 4' section of the bench and the other 10% could be done there as well if I had to.

Many, many years ago when I was living in a barracks and while I was in college, I reloaded out of my car trunk using clamps and a 2' square piece of 3/4" plywood. That's where I learned the value of neck sizing!!

I have about 12' of bench space for 3 operations, rifle, pistol and shotgun so I guess I use about 4' for each type of relaoding. I have shelving above the bench and under it for bullets and primers and I keep powder separated in a different room so I reduce the chance of grabbing the wrong powder. I have a lot more stuff because I've been doing this for 40+ years and I tend to not throw things away and I have dies for over 50 calibers and 4 gauges so it takes a little more space to accomodate "stuff" related to their use.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I've used this set up for quite a while. My next bench will be longer, perhaps an "L" shape in a corner with hand gun loading on one section and rifle on the other. The fluorescent light is a turned off when I weighing charges manually but gives good light when doing other work. Most on here know the downfall associated with using florescent lights around electronic scales so I won't go there.

This is made with three sheets of ply wood ripped down the center resulting in a 2'X8' work area with four shelves. The ripped sheets are the perfect size for the end caps and shelves. The 2"X4"'s in the shelve area are stud size meaning they are 3.5" shorter than a standard 8" 2"X4". The four 2"X4"'s on the ends are full 8' length. This allowed me to screw every thing together at home. The lumber store ripped the plywood down the center for free. I spaced the shelves 14.5" apart so the containers would slide in.

This set up is a little rough compared to the fine wood worker skills I've seen from a few guys over the years but it's very strong,
    easy to , not to expensive and basically pre-cut ready to screw together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5120214.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	63517 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5120213.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	63518

Opps, just went back and read that you only have a four foot section. You can still use the wood pieces I mentioned but rip the ply wood in 2'X4' sections. You can still go 8' tall and anchor the back cross brace under one of the shelves to a stud in your wall for security.

Marshall your pics worry me, if my bench area ever looked that well organized it would probably mean I was dead and the family was getting it ready for an auction!
    Well done!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yea, dang thing is even painted! I never have been able to stay off a bench long enough to paint the thing, always start out planning to paint but by the time itís assembled I need to do some loading and it never gets done.

As for your light, I went with cheap LED bulbs from Wall-Mart and they are fine with my scales. Your bench begs for the LED under counter strip lights Iíve seen at Lowes, tad speedy but perfect for that set up . . . also they put off no heat which is a good thing in down in AZ.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Kinda funny, my bench is a mess right now. I have been looking at a few different light styles but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I have some 30-30 going for a friend down the street, .308Win under way for a flying buddy, 338LM for my cousin that is attending a long range class in a couple of weeks and 300RUM for my Carbon. Some cases in the tumbler, some in the sonic bath, some lined up for sizing and the others ready to charge. In addition I've been cresting and fletching arrows most of the day in between jobs and scrubbing a horribly fouled bore on the 308 mentioned earlier.

I still have tools on the floor from doing a brake job on my truck yesterday and I'm trying to pack our trailer in the driveway for this weekends camping trip, (Thursday, Friday and Saturday). Going to work late Sunday and landing in Anchorage after midnight. I'll try to catch up on my sleep Monday.

Looking forward to the cooler weather. Just got off the phone with my brother in Kasilof, he said it blowing hard up there. My last trip the winds were crazy and the ride into Anchorage was rodeo style. Perhaps they will calm down by Sunday night...

Marshall,

Gotta go with Smokey...haven't you ever heard of the saying that "a cluttered mind is a happy mind"?

Is that a DRZ's nose sticking out there?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Marshall,

Gotta go with Smokey...haven't you ever heard of the saying that "a cluttered mind is a happy mind"?

Is that a DRZ's nose sticking out there?
    I have two dogs, two kids and a wife, plenty of clutter. I try to keep my work space somewhat in order so I can find stuff. In a perfect world my bench and tool box would be off limits to the wife in kids. In reality it works another way.

The bike is a 450 RMZ. I sold it a while back and replaced it with a CRF. Hard to break the MX bike habit, been hooked since 1978. The bench pics are about a year old but representative of my space.

I started on dirt bikes in '71 and still have 4 left. My wife says I'm too old for them anymore but I can still do wheelies and jump higher than I should. I did 400 miles off road in Moab last summer and had a great time. ...a lot more fun than the Harley!! I did climb a sand hill and got to the top and put my foot down and just fell over and layed there for a few minutes laughing...great fun!!!

I always kept horses and dirt bikes in Arizona, both real handy and a lot of fun down there. I drug an RM250 to Alaska with me but sold it off because it just wasnít near as handy here, need more floatation ta get around here. Quads are fun but not the same thrill as being 20 foot off the ground on a dirt bike and landing like a father, dirt bikes are a blast . . . don't matter how old you are, you'll still be a teenager soon as you toss a leg over a dirt dike!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I had a horse when I lived in AZ too...appaloosa..stupidest animal I've ever seen. It didn't kick but it bit me everytime I was close and turned my back on him. I rode him all over the Rim and he hauled a few deer and elk for me so I guess he earned his keep. I was still happy when I sold him...pretty horse but stupid.

I got a kx400 in the desert and other than running thru the choia it was a great way to get around and I didn't need to feed and shovel every day!!