Thread: Airboat Moose Hunting

Default Airboat Moose Hunting

Took A Freind Of Mine Out Over The Weekend With His Daughter And She Got First Moose
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats to the huntress on her first Bull.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Nice pics,....She is The Real Deal for sure,....pass on the Congrats from us

and good job on the, "Intro to Hunting Massive Animals, with Wisdom"
    ( in other words,....you Airboat guys,...look pretty darn smart )

who needs a backpack to hunt Bull Moose anyway,(?) we just pull up to 'em, use rigging to butcher,...
    wipe off hands with papertowels from roll, step back into heated cabin, close door, drive home

you guys appear to be the type who have been here for a while,...maybe 2nd or 3rd generation Alaskan,....?
    Clearly know how to do it right?

Brilliant
    (thanks for the pics)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Congrats to the new hunter! I have to agree with kodiakrain, you sure have moose hunting all figured out Skip. Always enjoy seeing pictures that you post up, learn a little something from each of them.

Skip, opening day running around the swamp I saw about a doz moose before noon. You need to show me where to go to find the legal ones. Nice job, thats the 2nd for your boat this year isn't it. Bud
    Wasilla

I was lucky enough to get to take a ride in Mr Skips old airboat last fall and was sold on the concept. An airboat is on my list for future upgrades,, in other words, my next jetboat will be an airboat. The older I get the more I like to be warm and dry. LOL

Well done
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    my next jetboat will be an airboat. The older I get the more I like to be warm and dry. LOL

Well done
    Sounds like Flor will have to keep working a little longer than planned.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Sounds like Flor will have to keep working a little longer than planned.
    You Guys Must Of Missed My One Cup Coffee Maker In The Picture I Rough It While Hunting. No Bud We Have Got Three So Far Counting The One The Girl Got. Don't Care If They Fall In The Water Our On The Ground There Heading Home. The Gal Was Very Happy And So Was Her Father.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    You Guys Must Of Missed My One Cup Coffee Maker In The Picture I Rough It While Hunting..
    I did see that, was gonna say something, but I couldn't be sure what it was

thought it was an electric Knife Sharpener maybe,....

Didn't want to expose that kind of Extreme Decadence, if I wasn't sure,....but Coffee,...yeah, that's just more "Smart" goin' on

Impressive,...
    So you have an Invertor on there, right?

I can't tell but is the winch/boom, powered by a Hydraulic pump, driven off the engine,
    or Electric winch ?? Kinda looks like 12volt power running to it, right?
    beside the part about, "getting back to town pretty easy," the Rigging for lifting, is probably my favorite part of all that

and when you load down with Moose meat, does it change the dynamics of the power needed to float over dry ground much ?
    Can you overload it, or is there power to spare ??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

It Has All Kinds Of Bell And Whisles , Its My Personal Boat I Built For My Self It Got High Back Racing Seat That Lay Back So You Can Sleep In it The Cab Is Insulated Its Got A Two Fan Red Dot Heater In It Plus It Got A Espar Deisel Cab Heater In It. I Sleep All Night At A Comfortable 70 Degrees. Its Got A 800 Watt Inverter For My One Cup Coffee Maker Our Oat Meal In The Morning. My Moose Picker Don't Have Hydraulics It Foulds Down Out Of The Way While Running And I Have A Stiff Arm To Hold It Up When In Us. The Boat Has A 505-502 Stoked Out to 540 630 Horse 680 Ft Pounds Of Toqure With 2.67 Belt Reduction and Four Super Wide Sensenich Props. Its Heavy But It Will Go Any Where I Want To Go And Care A Moose With No Problem IMAG0668.jpg

hey skip is that blair lake buttes in the back ground? headed to upper swamp on thursday hope it cools down and the wind dies down!

Quote Originally Posted by AK SWAMPER View Post
    hey skip is that blair lake buttes in the back ground? headed to upper swamp on thursday hope it cools down and the wind dies down!

comments like that would be better left to a pm.... Bud
    Wasilla

Havn't Been Out There this Year, There Is No More Moose Out There Since Fish And Game Has Done The Antlerless Hunts In To Feb And Killed Off All The Big bulls Out There On The Antlerless Hunt. Thanks To Fish And Game They Have Raped And pilaged That Area. Thats The problem With The Antlerless Hunts That Go Past Dec The Big Bulls Are The First To Lose There Horn So In A Spike Fork 50 Area Your Killing Off The Big Bulls Plus The Cow.

Nice job on the 3rd moose this year Skip!
    You pretty much ruined the young lady for moose hunting from now on though....
    Congrats to you both!!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by skip olsen View Post
    It Has All Kinds Of Bell And Whisles , Its My Personal Boat I Built For My Self It Got High Back Racing Seat That Lay Back So You Can Sleep In it The Cab Is Insulated Its Got A Two Fan Red Dot Heater In It Plus It Got A Espar Deisel Cab Heater In It. I Sleep All Night At A Comfortable 70 Degrees. Its Got A 800 Watt Inverter For My One Cup Coffee Maker Our Oat Meal In The Morning. My Moose Picker Don't Have Hydraulics It Foulds Down Out Of The Way While Running And I Have A Stiff Arm To Hold It Up When In Us. The Boat Has A 505-502 Stoked Out to 540 630 Horse 680 Ft Pounds Of Toqure With 2.67 Belt Reduction and Four Super Wide Sensenich Props. Its Heavy But It Will Go Any Where I Want To Go And Care A Moose With No Problem IMAG0668.jpg
    Is that the same boat you're selling on craigslist for 33k right now?

No This Is My Personal Airboat The One You Are Talking About Is One Of My Customers And It Does The Same As Mine But Does Not Have The Coffee Maker And Diesel Fired Heater. but It Got The Same Motor And Same Reduction Unit And Props And Will Do The Same As Mine. In Fact The Guy That Owns It Is Waiting On A Guy To Get His Money From The Bank And It Will Be Sold This Week.

Brain Did You Guys Do Any Good

yep i agree with u on the cow hunts, totally screwed that area up! Been hunting over there for 30 plus years and have never seen it so bad.
    Guess I need to go find a new spot, that sucks! O well figuring out a new area is always fun.