Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Water Controlled use area on the Denali HWY

Default Clear Water Controlled use area on the Denali HWY

Nice to see AST nailing people up there on the Valdez creek road guess they did not see that shaded pink part marked number 2 in unit 13 game regs, or they have a set of different regs then I got

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispa...2.20120914.txt

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispa...2.20120915.txt

Wow, there was a lot of people busted on the denali hwy not only for CUA but failing to validate harvest tag, failure to leave evidence of sex, sub legal bull, meat salvage, unlicensed drivers, etc...looks like trooper simeon and others were busy that weekend.

There are some mistakes people can make in regards to the hunting regulations in the way they are written but using motorized equipment in a CUA is stupid and I am happy to see people getting busted for it.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Another thing that was amazing on those Trooper citations was the number of people that "mistakenly" shot cow caribou!

I was up there yesterday and there were 10-15 vehicles with 4 wheelers in that area. I also, passed a trooper heading that way I'm sure there will be more tickets to follow.

While up there last week I talked to a couple of guys that had no idea how big the CCUA is, or where. They had asked why there where so few trails on the north side of the road.

I noticed a parking lot and road between the big su and the old susitna lodge was filled with motor homes and atvs. There are not a lot of trails in this area, and I was wondering if they were going in on that mine road to the east of Valdez creek.

At least some of them were, Ray. Some of the ones parked there entered the trail on foot, some were on bicycles, and some WERE in a white F-150 with AK plate XXX-000. It appears the latter got religion, though....

Leo has told me there have been, in the past, hunters even land on his airstrip to start hunting.... anyone looking for a state-auctioned airplane?

By the way, I'm not sure Simeon extends that far west; mostly it's Jimmy. I did, though, notice FOUR troopers working on their airboat at the Su crossing on Tuesday.

I had a question regarding the CUA up Valdez creek. What is the ruling on driving up to that first creek crossing to check the water levels and then heading back to the trailhead to go in by foot/bike?

Word I got is that once you drive in there you better find somewhere else to hunt.

How hard would it be to unload the bike or walk to the creek to check? It's probably less than a quarter mile...

Keep in mind that the CUA regulations strictly apply to hunting activities. I've been WAY back in there on bike, heard motorized vehicles coming, got upset, then noticed they were all wearing Simms waders and packing fly rods. Could be berry pickers, hikers, shed hunters, tourists out for a drive. Since we can't know for sure it's best to continue letting the Troopers do their job.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishhunting View Post
    I had a question regarding the CUA up Valdez creek. What is the ruling on driving up to that first creek crossing to check the water levels and then heading back to the trailhead to go in by foot/bike?
    You should not have to worry about creek levels. Motorhomes drive up that road all the time.

but i guess just dont go up there with guns. most of those ticketed were cited "for the use of a motor vehicle to transport hunters, hunting gear and equipment into a controlled use area." So if a person was going up fishing/berry picking/just checking out the area, and had a firearm with them (bear protection etc) they would get a ticket.

I think you are allowed to carry a gun for protection without being a hunter. However, if you are dressed in camo and have game bags with you and a hunting license, they might ticket you.

Quote Originally Posted by BigOldMooseHunter View Post
    At least some of them were, Ray. Some of the ones parked there entered the trail on foot, some were on bicycles, and some WERE in a white F-150 with AK plate XXX-000. It appears the latter got religion, though....

Leo has told me there have been, in the past, hunters even land on his airstrip to start hunting.... anyone looking for a state-auctioned airplane?

By the way, I'm not sure Simeon extends that far west; mostly it's Jimmy. I did, though, notice FOUR troopers working on their airboat at the Su crossing on Tuesday.
    what is officer jimmyS last name?

Just take a look at the 'trooper dispatch' and you will get an idea of how many were ticketed in the non motorized area. WOW! I is hard to beleive that there are so many people out there that can not read/understand written information. Even this 'old redneck' understands that no motorized vehicles for hunting, means just that.
    I guees that this also goes along with the 'extra' number of caribou permits handed out. Alot of people who have never been in that area.

As discussed with the trooper several weeks ago, he is okay with motorized travel or camping between the Denali Hwy and Windy Creek (the water flowing over Valdez Creek Road). Anything beyond Windy Creek up Valdez Creek road will get you a ticket.

Also, don't go past the gravel pit if hunting the Windy Creek Valley.

Check out the trooper report for 26th of sept.... Looks like even the registered guides can't follow the rules
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    I was up there yesterday and there were 10-15 vehicles with 4 wheelers in that area. I also, passed a trooper heading that way I'm sure there will be more tickets to follow.
    I moose hunted from Valdez Creek this year via bicycle and stopped many individuals who were hunting from a motorized vehicle (car, truck, ATV with gun boots) but there is a caveat in the regulations stating that the road can be utilized using a motorized vehicle as long as you are not hunting moose or caribou and only hunting brown/grizzly bear or small game. Too many people fail to read the regs before accessing.

"Closed to the use of any motorized vehicle for hunting, including the transportation of hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of game, except for brown/grizzly bears, wolves, and small game from March 15 through June 30; however, this provision does not prohibit motorized access, or transportation of game, on the Denali Highway"

They pulled the wool over your eyes unfortunately. Or simply didn't understand either. Above is quoted off the website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast