Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float Hunt Report

Default Float Hunt Report

I must confess, I'm not much for words. I enjoy reading all the reports people give on this forum. I will make this short and sweet. Just got back from a fantastic float hunt. The Lord really blessed me. I harvested a beautiful 57" bull moose, and as a bonus, I ran into a pack of wolves and managed to take a few wolves out of the pack. Here are a couple pics of the hunt.

Nice!!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yep, Pics,... far surpass words, in that post
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Now that looks like a great float hunt and pictures speak volumes!

Nothing finer than Bushwacking some wolves.

Great trip, you will post more info won't you?

Nicely done ! Which GMU now has 3 less wolves in it ?

Very nice! 3 wolves would have consumed how many moose per year? Don't get me wrong, I love to see wolves and bears, but it is good to thin out the pack a bit! Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post

Well, like I said, I'm not the best storyteller, but I'll give you the quick version. I called the bull in from about 1/2-3/4 mile away from the river to about 160 away from me. I looked at him for quite some time to determine he was 50". I finally committed and when I put the tape on him he was 57"! As for the wolves, what can I say. I would like to tell you I am some awesome marksman, and all that, but in reality, I owe it all to the grace of God and my Lord Jesus Christ. He is the provider. But basically, I was still hunting, and to my great fortune, I happened to come across a pack of about 5-6 wolves. I put a stalk on them. They split up and got confused, and I just started letting the lead fly. I missed on, and managed to take down three. It was epic. That's all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Sorry 338, I don't like to kiss and tell. But I will say it was in the Brooks Range.

Quote Originally Posted by efrench View Post
    Very nice! 3 wolves would have consumed how many moose per year? Don't get me wrong, I love to see wolves and bears, but it is good to thin out the pack a bit! Great job!
    My thought exactly. I was thinking the same thing. By rough estimation and calculation, 1 wolf may eat 10 moose or caribou per year. Let's assume the average wolf lives for 10 years (probably more like 15-20). That's 100 moose or caribou in a lifetime. I'm hoping I saved 300-400 moose or caribou in the valley I was hunting.

Thanks for all the compliments you guys!!!

Default Float Hunt Report

Nicely done bushwhack!!! And thanks for the additional story telling. What sort of raft were you floating in???

Nice job on the wolves, we're they males or females???

Love those pics and you're a fine story teller! The Mooses were probably happy to offer up that old Bull to you in exchange for taking those 3 wolves out of their land. I'm sure the Sheep and Caribou are singing songs about you at this moment also LOL Good shootin' and thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by AkDon; 09-16-2012 at 14:26. Reason: spullin'

Man, nicely done! I've got to admit being more than a bit jealous - both on the moose and the wolves. I jumped a pack on their den once, and while my first shot at a wolf was true (he was standing still at about 15 yards), I did a terrible job of shooting thereafter. I was too distracted by all of the animals and failed to focus on just one target at a time. It wasn't intentional, but it was basically like flock-shooting ducks instead of zeroing in on one. To take three at one opportunity, well.... I appreciate that you're giving credit to the Lord, but you, sir, did a fine job.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Nicely done bushwhack!!! And thanks for the additional story telling. What sort of raft were you floating in???

Nice job on the wolves, we're they males or females???
    I was using my 14 ft NRS Otter that I bought used from Larry Bartlett about 5 years years ago. It has been through 5 float hunting seasons and has done a fine job. The black wolf was a female, and the two gray/timber wolves were both males.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, nicely done! I've got to admit being more than a bit jealous - both on the moose and the wolves. I jumped a pack on their den once, and while my first shot at a wolf was true (he was standing still at about 15 yards), I did a terrible job of shooting thereafter. I was too distracted by all of the animals and failed to focus on just one target at a time. It wasn't intentional, but it was basically like flock-shooting ducks instead of zeroing in on one. To take three at one opportunity, well.... I appreciate that you're giving credit to the Lord, but you, sir, did a fine job.
    Thanks for the compliment Brian. We've all missed before, myself included more times than I would like to admit. Anybody who claims otherwise is either a straight up liar, or else they haven't hunted long enough.

Congrats Jack on getting some fine meat and ridding the area of a few predators. Sort of helped the balance of power in that locale!

Wow! I do not think I've ever read of someone taking 3 wolves. Two yes...three no. More pics man. The Brooks are incredible.

Corgrats on a great hunt and thanks for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Wow! I do not think I've ever read of someone taking 3 wolves. Two yes...three no. More pics man. The Brooks are incredible.
    I didn't take too many pics. I did make a cool video, but I am not sure how to take the movie off my video camera and share it on the forum.

Great Job and congrads man... Three wolves and a moose very impressive...

sounds like you had one heck of an adventure!! Congrats on a great hunt.

Beautiful bull! The wolves are a total bonus. I know how much this hunt meant to you. Very glad it worked out!

Pictures are worth a 1000 words, great report and thank for giving credit where it's due: The Lord.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast