Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun retrival help

Default gun retrival help

Anyone have a good method for retrieving a shotgun from 6' of marsh water. Thinking grapnal hook of some sort or magnet.
    Last resort a young guy with a dry suit wanting to make $100

do you know exactly whete it is? do you have it marked?
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

A pole with a hook works. Or strip down to your undies and jump in.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    A pole with a hook works. Or strip down to your undies and jump in.

Do the dunkeroo... with appropriate warm, dry clothes and safety precautions in place of course.
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Anyone have a good method for retrieving a shotgun from 6' of marsh water. Thinking grapnal hook of some sort or magnet.

What marsh? I'll do it for you.

Saw one pulled out of the marsh by Leaf Lake with a rope and a strong magnet. It was about 3" x 5" and weighted a good 3-4 lbs.

Potter, just kidding. Girdwood area its about a half hour walk & half hour kayak. I have a kayak & layout boat already down there. I will try a magnet tomorrow or monday weather depending if doesn't work I will give you a shout.
    I have it marked so I can get back to the same spot.

I would have stripped and dove before I left it underwater I think...especially if it's salty water.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I agree a long pole, maybe metal or alumunim..conduet etc..with a large hook or some kind should grab the sling maybe..or at least when you hit it you will feel the metal to metal.

Good luck
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I would bring some freshwater along, rinse it immediately after retrieving, then dry it and grease it pronto. Like before going anywhere.

Course you gotta get it back first.

sure many others are asking how it ended up in the water to begin with...care to share the story?

About 5 or 6 years ago, l was hunting the knik side with some other friends that were in another boat. High tide, they pulled up along side the steep bank and were transfering their gear to shore, and dropped a new extrema in the water. Due to high tide, water was deep there, they were both new duck hunters and new to the tide flats. Just considered it a lesson learned, never went back at low tide to look for the gun. Would have been easy to find with the tide out. I thought about going back for it later in the day, but I wasn't sure of the spot they dropped it. Sh!!t happens. Bud
    Wasilla

[QUOTE=akblackdawg;1175513]About 5 or 6 years ago, l was hunting the knik side with some other friends that were in another boat. High tide, they pulled up along side the steep bank and were transfering their gear to shore, and dropped a new extrema in the water. Due to high tide, water was deep there, they were both new duck hunters and new to the tide flats. Just considered it a lesson learned, never went back at low tide to look for the gun. Would have been easy to find with the tide out. I thought about going back for it later in the day, but I wasn't sure of the spot they dropped it. Sh!!t happens. Bud[/QUOTE

Though it's no Benelli... An extrema is a nice gun... If it were mine, I would have definately gone back.

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    sure many others are asking how it ended up in the water to begin with...care to share the story?
    Didn't really see it happen, but it was along the lines of this. About noon it has been really slow so the wife takes here kayak & goes exploring a couple slews, about 1:00 I start picking up the decoys just as she is arrriving back. I am in a lay out boat which usually holds all the gear, backpack, decoy bag, my gun & 9' mojo pole etc.. Because it is bigger & heaver it is harder to manuver in the thick lilly pads & which were all around. So she helps pick up decs & put them in her closed cockpit kayak. After they are all picked up I boat over & ask for them thinking it will give here more foot room. So I am on her right side the boats are touching & she is leaning to the left grabbing decs from her boat by her feet. The wind is blowing her into me & as she leans down her boat rolls moderately to the left. I hear a splush & thought she rolled the kayak but as she sits up & straightens the boat I find out it was here gun that went into the drink. I don't know if my boat pushed it off, the mojo poll hit it or a combo of things. I never really noticed where it was, I am guessing the stock was on the side of her seat with the barell pointed out to the front side away. Either way it was deemed my error as i demanded the decs be in my boat & it was my boat that kept hitting hers. We tried for an hour to pull it up with the decoy bag, 550 cord, & the pole but no luck. I am not sure we even touched it but she thinks she could feel it on the bottom when using the kayak paddle fully extended. So I left a decoy & mojo pole there to mark the spot.

That happened to my old hunting partner once when his hair trigger 20 gu. double went off right behind me and launched itself into the lake (leaving a hole in one side of my Grumman. and a bulge in the other side). We used a weighted slip noose to pull it up. And with that accomplished, I spoke with him at length about the future of us hunting together...

I see..always our fault...if you dont get it back...take her and get her another one..(something you want)...lol

Sounds like it was in a pool or pond of some sort and nothing with a current..should be able to get it..good luck

Give her a small piece of 550 cord with a small d-ring on it..when in the boat, make suer it is attached to the boat. Cord could be long enough for her to shoot it as well..never happen again.

When I was guiding and setting out guys in layout boats.. I always did this..didnt matter if it was their gun or mine. If you clip it to the eyelit on the front stock(forearm) it will not get in the way. Take the sling off as it is not needed. Use the same clip that attaches the sling(purchase seperatly) tie the cord to that and clip the other end to something in the boat or to them. Works everytime..It can get slick out there with water and ice.

I learned my lesson years ago as I crossed a slough in NorCal in a float tube. The gun was across my lap as I kicked my way across the 50' wide channel. I'll never forget the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as I looked down and immediately realized where my gun must have gone. The water was deep, nasty, and had a fairly good current. There was no way I was willing to risk my life for an old weather beaten Rem 870 Express. I upgraded to the 870 Wingmaster and always, always tied some kind of leash to my boat after that if in deep water.

To add insult to injury that day, the amount of birds just 100' overhead and above the fog, as well as already on the water in the area I was headed to was amazing..There was no doubt that the duck gods won that day.

I hope you're able to retrieve your gun.

Well an 1.5-2 hrs of dropping a magnet in the area proved to be futile. I will may give it one more go before writing it off. On a positve note tonight we saw a good number of ducks & had flocks & flocks of cranes coming over. A couple hundred landed within 200 yds & then took off flew around & relanded in the same spot. On the way out at sunset more were coming in from the thermals & just dropping down. I don't think they wanted to fight the winds over the pass tonight. Unfortunatley I didn't bring a gun with or I would have been chasing birds the entire time.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Well an 1.5-2 hrs of dropping a magnet in the area proved to be futile. I will may give it one more go before writing it off. On a positve note tonight we saw a good number of ducks & had flocks & flocks of cranes coming over. A couple hundred landed within 200 yds & then took off flew around & relanded in the same spot. On the way out at sunset more were coming in from the thermals & just dropping down. I don't think they wanted to fight the winds over the pass tonight. Unfortunatley I didn't bring a gun with or I would have been chasing birds the entire time.
    I don't think I could just write it off without at least getting in the water at least for a couple minutes. Bring a way to get dry and warm, then get in and get your gun. Gotta try!!

Wear a dry suit, get goggles or a dive mask. Is there current where your gun is? How deep? Water murky? How nice of a gun is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast