Thread: Spring goose hunt?

Default Spring goose hunt?

So, I was watching Youkon Men on tv last night and they were hunting geese in the spring. I went back and looked at the regs. I'm not seeing any five day season like they talked about on the show. Anyone have any info on this one? Thanks

what im tracking is its for the personel in the villages that are native to alaska.

I believe that is a federal substance hunt.

Check this link

http://alaska.fws.gov/ambcc/Regulations.htm
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I was thinking the same thing, talked to a native guy once out of Kotz that told me about spring goose hunt during march. Sounds like fun, maybe work if you marry a native gal and move to the bush. Might not be worth it, but for some, maybe it would. There is a guy that use to post, maybe still does, on the hunting forum, that lives the subsistance lifestyle in the bush, he may know about it. Some states in the midwest lower 48 do hve a spring goose season. Bud
    Wasilla

Default Spring goose hunt?

Saw that too. Figured it was subsistence...
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

As mentioned it is a federal rural subsistance hunt. The seasons and locations are reviewed and established every August for the next spring migration. The seasons are timed and centered around rural villages and towns. You have to be a resident of the the village. You do not have to marry a native girl/guy to do this. If you ever get invited to come out from town to a village and hunt in the spring keep in mind that if you get caught it is a federal offense.

I would strongly advise seeking advice on this subject from the USFW Service located in Anchorage. Duckdon

I live in Palmer and I'll be hunting geese this spring...?

That roundabout where Trunk Road goes over the overpass on the parks would be a really good spot to set up. The field across the parks would be good too. I see several thousand geese in there every spring, just begging for a guy to be there with a layout blind. I would check that area out D&D! It's only a couple minutes from your house too!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    That roundabout where Trunk Road goes over the overpass on the parks would be a really good spot to set up. The field across the parks would be good too. I see several thousand geese in there every spring, just begging for a guy to be there with a layout blind. I would check that area out D&D! It's only a couple minutes from your house too!

That's plan B. I've got a better hole I'm gonna hit first, though!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny as hell to go out there with ground blinds, calls, 100 decoys and squirt guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomstickalaskan View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny as hell to go out there with ground blinds, calls, 100 decoys and squirt guns?
    I'd do it!

I got checked once in NC about 2 months after the season out there calling in birds just to watch them interact and learn more about them.