Thread: Herterís catalog memories.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Default Herterís catalog memories.

The recent thread about Cabelaís coming to Anchorage made me recall some fond memories of looking at the Cabelaís and Herterís catalogs, when I was a kid, and dreaming of what I could do with all that neat outdoor stuff.

I especially liked the Herterís catalog. My two best friends and I would spend hours together looking at our Herterís catalogs. (Much better than watching TV or video games IMHO). We were all into lure making, fly tying and rod building. We ordered our supplies form Herterís as they were relatively cheap and we could get supplies from Herterís that were not available in our small rural Northern California town. Oh, but the waiting for our orders to arrive at the local post office, it seemed to take forever.

My two friends and I did not have a lot of money in those days so we improvised. One of my friendís next door neighbors had chickens. When the neighbor was not home we would sneak into their chicken yard, catch some of the roosters and cut choice neck and saddle hackle feathers off of them. We would then go to my friendís house and sort the feathers on a table. We would take turns picking the feathers one at a time. It would take hours for us to sort the feathers. The neighbor had some really great roosters especially the grizzly hackle ones. I still have flies from that time that I tied with the loot from our feather escapades.

Once, a few days after one of our chicken raids, we overheard the neighbor with the chickens telling my friendís fatherÖ.ĒI donít know what is happening to my chickens....Öthey seem really nervousÖÖand something is taking chunks of feathers from some of themĒ.

The three of us remembered that we immediately had somewhere else that we needed to be.

I found this on EBay for a few dollars and just had to have it. My boys and I have spent hours looking at it. They like to hear the stories it reminds me of as we look through the pages. Much better than TV and video games. (Things sure were cheaper then).

Forgot all about Herters. I remember that catalog. Just reading up on what happened to Herters. Cabelas owns them since 2002 still making decoys and product under the name.

I started reading (& drooling) over a Herter's Catalog about 56 years ago. A friend of my Dad's turned me onto it. I used to love reading the captions accompanying the photos extolling the virtues of all the different items and how they were the ABSOLUTE BEST item available for the application. The pic is a flytying vise I bought when I was 12-13 years old. That's a long shank #4 hook in it (to give you an idea of vice size). It was rough on teenaged fingers trying to tie #16 & 18 dry flies with this vice. I forget if this was the "good", "better" or "best" vice , but suspect it was the "good" grade, given my income level at the time. The vice was only one of many purchases. Though I still have some duck & goose decoys purchased from Herters, all the fly rods & reels & clothing & boots bought from them have all been long gone.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I have a similar vice from Herter's. (A little newer).