Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funniest things you've seen?

Default Funniest things you've seen?

Was reading the same thread on e Great Lakes forum, great laughs, figured there has to be some great stories of crazy things you guys have seen or done on the rivers here. Let's have em.

Saw a guy snag a seagull on the Russian after his rig came loose from the fish he was fighting. Weight flew out of the water and caught a seagull behind him.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Last week watching 6 guys all with jingle bells all running and playing jingle, jingle all the way as that 500 lb blond bear ran them down the Kenai bank back to the Russian.When they ran he walked, when they walked he would get after them. Funny on the other side of river in a raft. Right into the sun or it would have been great video.

was salmon fishing with a good friend at a creek coming off lake ontario and he hooked into a fish and lost the top half of his rod and just slid down the line towards the fish, ended up breaking off and losing it. about 5 minutes later i called fish on and got it into the shore noticed another hook and line in its mouth and the other half of his pole.. coincidence or funny story i thought it was pretty cool that the chances of catching the same fish/his rod were pretty small

an elderly man hunting geese; he raised his shotgun, fired and it looked like the shotgun had some serious recoil but it didn't actually fire because he forgot to load a shell into the chamber..good laugh afterward, even the man thought it was hilarious

Watched a 5 year old kid hook a 30lb king in Ninilchik one day in front of about 500 people... it spooled his spiderman rod and when it was gone he looked at his dad and yelled "I want a real fishing pole"... He dad was an ass and had been yelling at the kid to get out of the way all day... felt bad for the kid, but the crowd was cheering when he yelled at his dad.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The funniest thing that ever happened was one day I was fishing for bows in the canoe with my wife's uncle when I hooked a nice size one. The fish pulled some line then turned and came strait at the canoe. I recovered line as fast as I could but the fish came to fast swam under the canoe then shot out of the water and hit him in the face. He comes up every few years and we still laugh about that.

you should have reported him

When I was dating my wife she wanted to go icefishing for a date. She loves to fish.
    She hooked a black spawning rainbow the biggest fish of the day.
    I was wearing black arctic grade carhartts in the iceshanty. She was a bit upset as I told her sahe had to release it.
    It was hooked pretty good and he was having trouble unhooking it. She squeezed the fish a little too hard and next thing you know that fish had squirted white milt all up and down my black carhartts.
    It was as though she was aiming on purpose even though I knew she wasn't.
    her mom was watching her kid and she sent her mom a text that fishing was good and that she had just fertilized me on the lake. Even though she was in her 30's her mom still got upset thinking we were not just fishing and should not be fooling around.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

A couple years ago I was down at Ship Creek watching peopel fish for the kings. An obvious tourist up stream hooked a good one that turned and went down stream. He was running trying to catch up to it when he tripped and landed face down in the water. The king was pulling him right along with a pretty good wake with his face mostly under the surface. He kept his rod tip up though. He finally lost it.

Cool

I was fishing for silvers at Centennial Park one morning some years back, casting from shore near the boat launch. The fellow standing just downstream from me was obviously a tourist, so, making small talk, I asked where he was from.

"Chicago," he replied.

"You could take pills for that," I quipped back.

He cast me a baleful eye and said, "I do."

I was fishing for Steelhead out of a canoe on the San Lorenzo River in the Santa Cruz Mountains in CA.
    My wife had come along and was sitting in a beach chair in the bow reading a book. We were just above an inflatable dam anchored 250 above the fish ladder. I hooked into a nice fish in the eight pound range. Just as I worked the fish past the bow it jumped and landed right in her lap, she freaked out and threw in back in the river where it promptly broke off. Wish I had that on video!!
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

About 12 years ago, I was fishing off the Beach off Seward (Now its a big gravel Parking Lot) just on the outside wall of the harbor. Kings were in and everyone was out there casting and snagging. Along comes this boat out of the Harbor, anchors just outside of casting distance and starts casting in towards shore. He got tangled with a few folks and pissing everyone off as he had a boat, and fishing where all the bank fisherman were. Finally this old guy has had enough. He goes to his motorhome and returns with a Surfcasting Rod, puts the biggest snagging hook they sell and on the first cast, puts in right in the middle of the boat. I think the guy on the boat grabbed the snagging hook and threw it out of the boat before the guy could real up the slack and set the hook. Everyone cheers, the boat starts up and leaves. He got lots of offers for buying him a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    About 12 years ago, I was fishing off the Beach off Seward (Now its a big gravel Parking Lot) just on the outside wall of the harbor. Kings were in and everyone was out there casting and snagging. Along comes this boat out of the Harbor, anchors just outside of casting distance and starts casting in towards shore. He got tangled with a few folks and pissing everyone off as he had a boat, and fishing where all the bank fisherman were. Finally this old guy has had enough. He goes to his motorhome and returns with a Surfcasting Rod, puts the biggest snagging hook they sell and on the first cast, puts in right in the middle of the boat. I think the guy on the boat grabbed the snagging hook and threw it out of the boat before the guy could real up the slack and set the hook. Everyone cheers, the boat starts up and leaves. He got lots of offers for buying him a beer.
    Now that would be something to see...

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Some friends of mine did something similiar on the Kasilof a few years back.
    Back when the guides could Anchor up in the peoples hole below crooked creek. A guide boat pulled in and anchored right where they had been casting. They yelled at him and he ignored them.
    They then put some heavier weights on and began to cast right into the side of his drift boat dinging his fancy guide boat paint job.
    He finally got the point and moved out of the way of the shore fishermen.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

JohnSWA turned his 4 piece rod into a 7 peice in july of 2011 so I loaned him my 7wt Sage VT2, with my solitude reel and Rio Indicator line on it. John then hooks a red in the wrong mouth. Red takes off heading down the canyon. Spools the reel to the backing. John grabs the reel and snap. Backing breaks and there goes 100 bucks worth of flyline. I laugh it off as we still have more rods in the boat but start thinking. If we are here long enough. That fish will turn and come back upstream. Well Ill be ****ed about an hour later I look down and see my flyline moving upstream about 4 feet off the shore in about 2 feet of water. I reach down, grab the line and WOOOOOT. Fish on. I managed to get the line back, and the fish still hooked in the *****. I did release the fish. Put the line back on the reel and am still using it till this day. We have a good laugh about that one every year when he comes back up
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Seems like every year I see one guy hookset, lift and walk backward. Right into that one cobble just big enough to trip ya up for a swim...never gets old.

Bubbles...

I was with my son, brother, uncle and cousin trolling for Northern Pike on Grindstone Creek off of Lake Ontario, New York. I was running the motor and not doing much fishing so when the opportunity came that I could make a cast I did. The line went up into the air and the Dare Devil lure stopped about 25 feet from the boat in mid air and dropped. Humm.

Upon retrieval I had hooked a huge green grasshopper right through the body. Strange enough!

But my cousin says a bird hit the water. So we went over to retrieve it.

Sure enough it was an English Sparrow with a nice crease right between the eyes where the lure had hit it taking the feathers off. Upon hitting it, I apparently snagged the grasshopper it was carrying it right out of its mouth.

True story....

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

One of the funniest things I've seen was a guy practicing fly fishing. He was there with a few buddies and commenced to 'practice' his fly fishing technique. Soon the willow bushes behind him were leafless, and he had lost his fly to them. He continued with his whip cracking of the line, as one of his buddies walked up behind him...needless to say this was a bad move, and he was whipped pretty good, lucky the fly was already gone, or it would have been a little more painful! Kinda hard to hook that fish when there's no fly...the guy that lent him the fly rod figured the fly did not need to be replaced ( safer that way ) and so the practice continued for about a half hour more. Those willow bushes got thrashed pretty good!
    "Grin and Bear It"

A couple of Augusts back, I was fishing Willow in the big hole below the mouth of Deception Creek. I was landing a chum, had it in the shallow water, where it was splashing like crazy. I noticed a blur of motion coming from the brush behind me. A weasel runs over my boot toe, stops and runs back (over the toe) into the brush. I guess: a, the fish was too frisky for him (probably outweighed him by a factor of 200, too) or b. it realized that I had first dibs on the fish. Surprised the heck out of me - probably I surprised the heck out of him, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast