Thread: Halibut feeding frenzy

Default Halibut feeding frenzy

Anbody see this video going around ? Cool
    Still do not know how to implant videos on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY7IPXZjqws&sns=em
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Here you go:

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

LOL! That's one f-ing incredible video. While I was watching it I wondered to myself if they knew this was going on down there while they videotaped it. Guess not! Can you imagine if a big ol' mama came up and grabbed the whole camera!?!? I've had close to a dozen or so halibut follow up to the surface one we've had on the line and they don't think twice about grabbing a 1 lb. to 2 lb. ball sinker with their mouth. I don't know how deep a Go-Pro can go, but it might be worth the price of one to get a shot of a big halibut swallowing one from the camera's view. Bet the Go-Pro company would give you a new one if you submitted a video like that to them. Hmmmmmm.......
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks Spoiled one ! If a Go Pro is all you need I have a few ,I think I'll just put some circle hooks on it and drop it down LOL!!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

No wonder they are mushy and chalky, so hungry they will eat cameras,

Default Re: Halibut feeding frenzy

The GoPro's are good to 150-200 ft depending on the housing.. Very cool video.
    I saw it on Facebook and the guys fishing said the butt were jumping on the surface as well.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

That is awesome! I didnt think that halibut would come that far off the bottom, but it looks like there were at least 100-200 at times a good ways up. I think I will have to try this next year when Im out. I gotta admit though, I wish I knew where they were fishing

Anyone know how he attached the camera to his line?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    That is awesome! I didnt think that halibut would come that far off the bottom, but it looks like there were at least 100-200 at times a good ways up. I think I will have to try this next year when Im out. I gotta admit though, I wish I knew where they were fishing
    I have a spot that I fish routinely out about 25 miles from the Homer Spit that is about 170 ft. deep (depending on the tide, of course) and one time I saw a big ol' bait ball on my fishfinder with fish marks around it about 30 to 50 ft. down. I put a troll herring on one of my salmon rods thinking those "fish marks" were salmon and dropped it down and as soon as my herring hit about 40 ft. I had a fish on. When I reeled it in I had a 20 lb. halibut on the line with about 3 or 4 others following it up picking off the scads of needlefish it was puking up. I was leaning over the rail releasing one of those halibut and had one dart up from about 10 ft. down, grabbed a needlefish floating on the surface, jumped about a ft. out of the water and then headed for the depths. It was pretty funny. And this isn't the only time (including this video) that I've seen this sort of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Anyone know how he attached the camera to his line?
    I wondered that myself.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I was wondering if he soaked the camera in secret sauce and/or tied bait to it.

Very very cool video.

Awesome...

If I remember correctly there is a setting in the camera that will rotate the video to allow the camera to be mounted upside down so you could just put a leader thru the normal mounting holes and lower it on down. If there is not a setting it would be easy to do with some basic video editing software.

I was trying to figure out how to mount one to a down rigger ball... thought it would be cool to troll with it when the action was hot and watch the silvers come and take the bait.... or to see how many came and took a look at the bait at least.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I think Muttley has way to mount it on his website

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I was trying to figure out how to mount one to a down rigger ball... thought it would be cool to troll with it when the action was hot and watch the silvers come and take the bait.... or to see how many came and took a look at the bait at least.
    Something like this?

http://trollpro.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    I think Muttley has way to mount it on his website
    Actually I have an actual underwater camera that was made by a guy that used to make them for NOAA, the Navy, etc., so it's not a GoPro camera. But if you want to see how I mounted THAT camera on my downrigger ball you can see it here: http://muttleycrewfishing.com/index....erwater-videos. It's one of the videos down near the bottom of the page.

And, obviously, for anyone that's never seen any of my underwater videos you can scroll through them. There are some pretty cool shots there.