Thread: Brooks range Sheep/Grizzly

Default Brooks range Sheep/Grizzly

I am heading up to Alaska for the first time and would like some thoughts on gear, gun, sleeping bag for a trip like this. It is 8 hunting days with a few added on each side for travel. What do others use for a backpack trip like this? JJ

Welcome to the forums JerseyJohn. That's a big question and there are tons of post with lot's of info if you spend little time searching and reading. But, the first place to start would be to ask your guide what you need to bring. If you are hunting with a next of kin resident, start there to see what he uses.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Welcome to the forum brother. Like Snyd said there is a ton of info on here but your guide/I law is or should be a great source as well. On here I would start by picking one item on doing a search for it. As for gun what ever you are shooting now is probably adequate.
    I can attest for kuiu rain gear. Absolutely amazing. And I use a marmot helium bag. Love it, although it is down.
    Anyway best of luck in your preparations.

Just got back from my 3rd sheep/grizz hunt. If you being guided your gear needs will be a little different than mine. I use a Big Agnes Zirkel sleeping bag with the insulated aircore mattress, I too use Kuiu clothes and rain gear and just a plain Winny model 70 30-06 rifle. Check out this video from this year and you will see some gear in use and some sheep and bears. Please,, make sure to select and properly break in your chosen foot gear. The only hunt I ever quit on was because of boots that stretched when they got wet and burnt up my feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAC30Bk2tG0
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Please,, make sure to select and properly break in your chosen foot gear. The only hunt I ever quit on was because of boots that stretched when they got wet and burnt up my feet.
    That is probably the most important piece of advice that you'll get regarding sheep hunting. Yes, quality raingear, tents, and the like are important, but nothing will stop a sheep hunt as quickly as feet that can't go another step. As for me, I'm a huge fan of Lowa Tibet GTX boots, but there are plenty of quality boots out there. More than anything, put some real miles and elevation into your boots before you go hunting. If you go with new boots, you run a serious risk of your hunt ending well before you intend it to.

Regarding footwear and break in, I agree with stid and Brian, but if you do not have the time to break in footwear, then opt for plastic shell boots like Koflachs, etc. They really do not need to be broken in to be comfortable on a tough hunt, IMO. For me at least, I wore them for the FIRST time on 4 goat hunts in a row and had no foot problems whatsoever. I was so impressed, that I am a plastic boot fan for life...

Then again some folks just have different feet and the plastics won't work for them so they should still try them out beforehand. Everyone is a bit different so a point should be made to make the time to choose the right boot and break them in. Of course there are some of us that take a new pair of Lowa Hunter GTX's out of the box and head to TMA. Some feet are tougher than others when it comes to new boots. Another thing to keep in mind is foot care in the field. Forgot the gold bond one trip and sure enough came down with athletes foot causing pain with every step. Came out with a sheep but it would have been a bit more enjoyable with good feet.

I bought a new pair of the Lowa Hunter GTX this summer and have been wearing them all summer long while at work or anywhere and feel like they are just starting to get broken in. Love the boots but glad that I have be breaking them in before heading out on my hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Of course there are some of us that take a new pair of Lowa Hunter GTX's out of the box and head to TMA.
    Whats wrong with that? You could head to Kodiak with a brand new pair instead, for a two week bear hunt.

Those are good points mod elan. Always a good idea to try gear before using it for real. But it can take a long time to properly break in leather boots typically.

I do not have super feet, and I definatly have blister issues frequently. For whatever reason, from day one, the plastics have treated my feet great and I have had no problems whatsoever (other than sore shins from the stiffness of the boots until they broke down a little).

To the OP, as far as guns go for sheep/bears, I would say a flat shooting magnum is a good choice. 338 wm or 300wm, but there are lots of other choices.

For packs, I like the external frame barney packs, but they are spendy and hard to find sometimes. When it comes to sleeping bags and other gear, I am not an advocate for the latest and greatest, not that its not good, but more that I cant justify the expense. I think a synthetic fill bag that is rated to 0 degrees F, or to 20 degrees with bivy bag works just fine for most early-mid fall hunts.

I agree with Snyd, there is so much info on this forum that you need to spend some serious time searching and browsing. Just reading the many sheep hunting reports on here will give you an idea of what you are getting into and what works/doesnt work.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Whats wrong with that? You could head to Kodiak with a brand new pair instead, for a two week bear hunt.
    Not a darn thing. How do you break in new boots sitting on your rear looking for bears on Kodiak?

My unit got me a couple pairs of boots to run around the mountains in Afghanistan and wondering what people thought about them for a Sheep hunt. I have 2 pairs of La Sportivas. The Glacier WLF and the Makalu. I also have a couple sets of Asolos. The La Sportivas have the removable tongue support and are in amazing contition even though I put them through alot. They are a bit heavy but the ankle support is tremendous. The Asolos are light and comfy almost like tennis shoes but are not as beefy. Just wondering if the added support is worth the weight of the La Sportiva?..... Thoughts from those who may have used these?

Very well put together video. Enjoyed it very much, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Just got back from my 3rd sheep/grizz hunt. If you being guided your gear needs will be a little different than mine. I use a Big Agnes Zirkel sleeping bag with the insulated aircore mattress, I too use Kuiu clothes and rain gear and just a plain Winny model 70 30-06 rifle. Check out this video from this year and you will see some gear in use and some sheep and bears. Please,, make sure to select and properly break in your chosen foot gear. The only hunt I ever quit on was because of boots that stretched when they got wet and burnt up my feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAC30Bk2tG0

Thanks for all the replys. JJ