Thread: Lost rifle 300 wsm mod 70

Default Lost rifle 300 wsm mod 70

Well I really did something stupid last weekend. Thought I could take the chena via canoe off hotspirings road never been so wrong nor wet and cold. My rifle and I went into the water and all I recovered was myself. I tried to wade out to the area I thought my rifle might be but the current is to strong. Pretty sure I know where it is laying within about a 25 yard area but can't get to it without a boat. If anyone has a big magnet/boat or any idea of how to recover this the help would be more than appreciated. The scope on that rifle leupold vx3 is not only expensive but given to me on my fourteenth birthday fifteen years ago and helped me harvest my first deer so Deeply sentimental. Or if you found it please return.

glad you made it out alive..sux on the gun. wish you the best in recovery.

ALASKA!! got to love it,
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

More than a few of us have taken a swim in that stretch, so don't feel too foolish. Sorry to hear about your loss, hopefully it will turn up.

Glad you're O.K. . Hope your recover the gun.

Glad you can swim, sorry your rifle couldn't ! Wishing you a speedy recovery .
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Well, if you have to wait until it freezes then you could auger some holes and try to fish it out with a magnet. The current will be slower and the water lower.

Wish you the best of luck.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Sure hope yah find it, glad you're ok. Many have taken the dip, few ever get their rifles back. A wise old fella once told me a story of such......ever since, I've always got in the habit of tying the rifle into the canoe. Anything.....a bungee, a compression strap, whatever.....lash it to a thwart or seat.

If you've got it down to a 25yd area,
    you might also be able to find someone who has a Diving Drysuit, to lend you for an afternoon
    get right in there close
    when the water is lower, iced over, with some grapple set up or Magnetic deal,...hmmmm??

not sure how deep you're talking, but that's be hard to leave out there knowing those kind of specifics,
    thought I'd toss the idea out there for ya,.....which,

the more I think of it now, sounds pretty crazy,....
    but,....sentimental value, can take a guy a long way,...Hope you get it back
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

A buddy of mine did this exact thing two years ago on the little su. He hired a diver and recovered almost everything to include his rifle. Thats always an option too.

That's a real bummer man. I'm not certain if this shop is still in business, but I'd try contacting them as they would certainly know some local divers that may help you out. It's called "Test the Water's Adventure Sports and Dive Center" and their in Fbks.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/test-the-wat...nter-fairbanks

Good luck.

I might be able to make time. I am a diver. Pm me your#
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

I am not sure, but if you waited until the water freezes and were able to auger holes into the ice, would the rifle still be in shootable condition? I would think that the inside of the bore would be pitted for sure. Again I am asking, I really dont know how long it takes. I understand about the sentimental value, I have one myself.

However on a financial value, you may just find that your Homeowners Insurance will take care of the replacement cost. Just a thought!

I have a super strong magnet that is made for pulling up items like that. If you want, PM me and we can meet up in town so I can give it to you. That's really too bad about the gear, especially the rifle going overboard. If somebody has a Marcum or Vexilar Fish viewing camera, you might be able to drift the area and watch for it as well if the water is clear and the sun is up.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I have a super strong magnet that is made for pulling up items like that. If you want, PM me and we can meet up in town so I can give it to you. That's really too bad about the gear, especially the rifle going overboard. If somebody has a Marcum or Vexilar Fish viewing camera, you might be able to drift the area and watch for it as well if the water is clear and the sun is up.
    Was the lost rifle blued or stainless ? A lot of stainless is non-magnetic and a magnet wouldn't work. Just a thought.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

A blued rifle can spend a long time under cold water and not corrode. Its when it gets into the air and the abrasiveness of the sand in the current that does the real damage.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem