Thread: New Black Bear Hunting Regulations in SE for Non-Residents

Default New Black Bear Hunting Regulations in SE for Non-Residents

A reminder that the new SE Alaska black bear hunting regulations went into effect September 1st. All non-guided, non-resident hunters require a drawing permit. I'm starting to hear rumors of a few hunters showing up to hunt and being surprised that they can't. Or worse yet, showing up at an ADFG office to get a bear sealed and not having the proper permit. What a bummer to spend all the time and money to travel to SE from the lower 48 and find out you aren't allowed to hunt, or showing up with your hard earned trophy only to learn you're in big trouble. It's a good idea to read the regs for the area you plan to hunt even if you've done the same hunt year after year.

If you hire a guide or are an Alaska resident it is status quo for this regulatory year.

A lot of us in SE was wondering if this sort of thing was going to happen. It sure pays to stay up on the regs.

I saw the reg change as well. As a resident that commonly likes to hunt with my nonresident dad for blackest in southeast I think the reg sucks. If too many bears are being shot and all nonresidents have to draw that would be fine with me but too allow guided clients the privilege of over the counter tags and make others draw is indefensible in my opinion.

I feel sorry for all those lodges. Aren't they the main revenue source down there?

Consider you need tags before the hunt for everyone showing up with a bear will be the least of their problem.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you