Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new road trip plan

Default Need a new road trip plan

Got back from my second trip on the Kenai P. and had a blast , got into a little bit of everything including salmon ,dollys and bows . But for the future I'd like to see some new country and I understand the roads are few and thats what makes the peninsula such a good road trip with good access . I would like to get into some bigger bows if possible with the flyrod like the pictures you see with 27'' to 30 '' fish , is there any other good areas with good access or am I looking at a short flight into more remote country . We normally do are trips on are own to keep costs down , any ideas ? I had thought of Kodiak but I see the flight is pretty pricey ,wonder if it would be worth it .
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Some of the biggest rainbows in Alaska are caught in the Middle Kenai. Also, check out the Naknek and Kvijack Rivers in SW. Both are famous for pig bows. A fall trip to one of these locations would be my suggestion if chasing big rainbows. George is a forum member and runs a self guided type of deal on the Kvijack, plan on checking it out myself sometime. Season's on the Fly recorded a show with him not long ago.

http://www.blueberryislandlodge.com/Lodge/Home.html

Getting a little pricey for me I'm afraid looks like it would be the ultimate trip though is there any access to the middle kenai or is all float fishing .

The middle is pretty much all float. I think you might enjoy Kodiak if you want to see more of Alaska, but I don't believe that is where you want to go for more bigger rainbow. They have big Kngs,dollys,silvers and halibut. You have pretty much met the best that the road system has to offer for big bows with the Kenai river. You want more bigger bows than you will need to fly and pay the $$$$.

A guy I know recently caught this hog fishing a Parks Hwy stream. 27" and 11lb by the formula. They're certainly not all of this caliber, but just shows there be some monsters lurking.

If you want a real chance at some pig rainbows beyond the Kenai, though, you probably ought to start squirreling away some money into the "fly out" piggy bank.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

HOG! It's pretty hard to find a 27" leopard like that on other parts of the highway system.

Wow, what a football.

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Getting a little pricey for me I'm afraid looks like it would be the ultimate trip though is there any access to the middle kenai or is all float fishing .

Rent a drift boat from Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground (see his website). Max is a great guy and forum mod here as well. Really helped me out a few times. More than I can express here. You could rent his drift boat and float the middle, also using his shuttle service if need be. He runs a campground, cabins, etc.. you could use for lodging as well. Fishing the middle this way is about as economical a route I can think of for big bows. And I assure you that your time with and around Max would be well spent. He could tell you a lot about the Kenai Canoe trails as well, perhaps an idea for a future trip. He has all the gear, canoes, and know how. Been thinking about doing that trip with the wife myself. Trip timing is important and others could give you better advice as I have only fished the middle a half dozen times or so. But me thinks late Sept into early Oct would be a good time for pig bows, flesh flies, dolly llamas, etc.. on the middle.

Got back from my second trip on the Kenai P. and had a blast , got into a little bit of everything including salmon ,dollys and bows . But for the future I'd like to see some new country and I understand the roads are few and thats what makes the peninsula such a good road trip with good access . I would like to get into some bigger bows if possible with the flyrod like the pictures you see with 27'' to 30 '' fish , is there any other good areas with good access or am I looking at a short flight into more remote country . We normally do are trips on are own to keep costs down , any ideas ? I had thought of Kodiak but I see the flight is pretty pricey ,wonder if it would be worth it .
    There aren't really resident rainbows on Kodiak, and "good access" (meaning roads) = lots of people anywhere. "short" flight = a few less people, but don't expect to be alone. Fork out about 2-3 grand, on a do-it-yourselfer, and you might get far enough away to see no people, but I don't know if that means bigger fish. The biggest fish resident rainbow I caught in alaska, at 31.5 inches, was my first rainbow - on my first trip some years ago, at clear creek off the talkeetna just upstream of where the cattleboats drop you off. A monster. Next one was ~dozen years later this summer (~25-26"), and a much bigger one "got away" on the same trip - probably 30"++ - but oh well.

I put my buddy on this fish real close to jims landing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fishfest 2012 102.jpg  
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

That is a hog bow !!! wow , thats a little more like it . The middle Kenai seems a little intimidating for someone that isn't familiar with float boats or the river itself but it would get you into some good water without the cost of a fly in trip . I'm not sure where to go from here I'll have some time as I save up for another trip .I was hoping there was another area other than the peninsula that we could do the RV walk-in fishing thing that seems to work out really good for us . They want almost 400 bucks to drop you into kodiak from Anchorage !! Ouch ! and probably not any bigger fish , I bet the experience would be awesome though . Bristol Bay would cost a fortune I'm sure , could a guy target big steelhead anywhere accessible ?

Big steelies, S.E. Alaska, Ketchikan, POW areas or the Yukatak. For steelies, although not the average size of the SE, Kenai peninsula.

I've been flyfishing all over Alaska since the 1980's. I've done the road system, wilderness floats, super deluxe fly out lodges and every thing in between. IMNSHO, there is no better value in Alaska for big rainbows than the Kenai. In terms of maximum bang for the fewest bucks, nothing else even comes close. Nothing!!!

Thanks for the info guys, I was getting worried I wasn't going to find any big fish unless I did a fly in trip , Its expensive enough just getting up there let alone adding another flight and I really want to get back to Alaska and experience some bigger fish on the fly. Bob are you talking about floating the middle Kenai for bigger bows as Dan mentioned or do you have something else in mind .

Middle Kenai. Ain't no bigger bang for the bucks. You need a boat/raft/pontoon/something that safely floats since walk in access is very limited. Guides are pricey, but you can rent a raft from Alaska Canoe in Sterling for $100 a day. Split with four guys, that's 25 clams a day. Ain't nothing cheaper any where in the world where you have a realistic shot at a 30" bow. Like these.......

PS: I've done the Kvichak, Naknek, Moraine, Funnel, Gibraltar, Talarik, Newhalen, Nushagak, Kulik, Alagnak, Aniak, American, Kanektok, Aniak, Big Ku, and many more for big bows. They are all fantastic rivers to fish, and they are all considerably more expensive to fish than the Kenai!!!

Big hog bows !! Now you got my attention !! nice fish Bob , looks like I'll have to check out the Kenai a little more , its beautiful wild country , more of what I think Alaska is all about . I fished the mouth of the moose river and got a good look at the big Kenai and wanted to float it then but it was to late to set anything up .Looks like mid September would be peak for bows , dollys and silvers .

Default Bang for your buck!

Big hog bows !! Now you got my attention !! nice fish Bob , looks like I'll have to check out the Kenai a little more , its beautiful wild country , more of what I think Alaska is all about . I fished the mouth of the moose river and got a good look at the big Kenai and wanted to float it then but it was to late to set anything up .Looks like mid September would be peak for bows , dollys and silvers .
    Chugbug, Norcal Bob is absolutely correct in saying the Kenai is the place for the 30 plus inch bows! As far as the cheapest, there are a few places up North where it is possible to catch 28-30in. rainbows, and with regularity. It's all about timing! Keep doing your recon, you are on the right track! Good Luck!

That brings up a question about the Kenai , are these bows resident fish or are they coming up out of the cook inlet to feed and spawn and then drop back to the inlet .

That brings up a question about the Kenai , are these bows resident fish or are they coming up out of the cook inlet to feed and spawn and then drop back to the inlet .
    The majority of Kenai rainbows are resident fish, typically overwintering in Skilak and Kenai lakes and some of the deeper holes throughout the river. However, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence of steelhead being caught in the Kenai. There's some debate over whether the Kenai has an actual run of steelhead or whether they're strays from the Kasilof/Crooked Creek. Considering there are steelhead runs up all the other Kenai Peninsula Cook Inlet streams (Anchor, Deep Creek, Ninilchik, Kasilof, etc.) it makes sense to me that there are likely steelhead reproducing in the Kenai.

Cheers,
    Rich

http://www.mysticfishing.com/alaskasteelhead.html
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Good info , I was hoping there were resident fish avail. so that trying to time a steelhead run wouldn't be a problem , the resident fish should be more available over a longer period and timing won't be so important . Sounds like the run from Skilak lake to the river good be interesting on a windy day, is there any other good landings further down river , or is it best to start at the lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast