Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Homer King/Silver Report

Default Looking for a Homer King/Silver Report

I'm heading down in the morning and was hoping someone could give me a recent report for any success they may of had.

Thanks
    RD

Look for the other boats, the word is the kings are close to spit. Fuel bill could be really cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by danmiotke View Post
    Look for the other boats, the word is the kings are close to spit. Fuel bill could be really cheap!
    Having fished for kings for the last 3 days you can find them at just about any of the "inner bay" spots. Yeah, they have been off the end of the Spit, but as it goes for any spot like that you have to hit it at just the right time. I call it "faucet fishing"---sometimes it's on, sometimes it's off. I fished the head of the bay today and at the busiest there were maybe 10 boats circling around in various areas down there. Didn't have time to fish any of the other "hot spots" that they usually hang out at, but I'd say the key is to jump around if you need to and you'll probably find some fish. But don't count on any silvers because there sure aren't a lot around.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanx for the report , Muttley

Silvers are an accidental catch while king fishing, just not many around. I was fishing near the Mutt and Cliffhanger this morning, but I had no mojo and moved. Cliffhanger did good, not sure how Muttley ended up. I finished at the hot tub hole and got one at the last minute, but I only had a couple hours to fish. I know the other guys hit it all day....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks everyone for the reports. I don't know the names that you are referring too but that's OK. I think I'll try over by the Seldovia area if the waters not to rough.

RD

The right place at the right time and 30 minutes to fish!
    White e-chip flasher with a herring, 40' down in 80', off the yellow condo. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347659088.929489.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Silvers are an accidental catch while king fishing, just not many around. I was fishing near the Mutt and Cliffhanger this morning, but I had no mojo and moved. Cliffhanger did good, not sure how Muttley ended up. I finished at the hot tub hole and got one at the last minute, but I only had a couple hours to fish. I know the other guys hit it all day....
    Yesterday I had a nice takedown that somehow threw the hook as I got it near the boat, but other than that pretty much struck out. I do know that Cliffhanger did WAY better than I did and I'm starting to doubt the effectiveness of my favorite Tsumani Squid in relation to good ol' herring. Cliffhanger and I were dodging each other all day while trolling and his herring far outperformed my squid.

So last night I put fresh herring in a zip lock bag along with a bunch of Pro-Cure "Brine and Bite" and some granulated garlic and hit the "Hot Tub Hole" first thing in the morning. Had a nice takedown about 10 minutes after dropping my downrigger and my main line broke when I set the hook (MY BAD!) and then about half an hour later this little lady (22 lbs. by my scale which SOME people don't seem to think is accurate for some weird reason - ) ended up in my fish hold:
    IMG_4602.jpg

I had 2 other solid takedowns that didn't materialize into fish over a 3 hour period. They're out there!!!

Josh Brooks on the Huntress had 8 Kings, 8 halibut the largest was 72in two other charters had full limits of Kings and halibut. Not much on silvers. Sounds like we might be in for some weather, you may want to check!

Those guys were at pogi, yes?

No, had to work a few spots.

I had a 4-day charter with two guys from ANC that went pretty well. They got their five kings each, a couple of silvers each, and some of the biggest black rockfish I've seen in the bay. Rockfish near Pogi. Silvers at Pogi and Bear Cove, and most of the kings from Bear Cove. Here's a couple of photos from the four days.

Attachment 63447
    They wanted to keep all the jacks the first day, and there's 4 there. You can see the silver at the top of the box.

JeffWK1.jpg
    This was the last fish of the trip, and what a doozy: 30 lb. (on the scale) WHITE king. Beauty.

Nice, we did well up there Wednesday, then pulled a skunk out today at 3 different spots including that one.

Redleader- What boat?

My boat is the Unreel a 30' Seasport, I also have a red Thunderjet, I hollered at you last year off the bluff and talked to you this year in tukta lagoon, did you have any trouble with jack bycatch? I've been using bigger baits to try to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post

Attachment 63447
    They wanted to keep all the jacks the first day, and there's 4 there. You can see the silver at the top of the box.

JeffWK1.jpg
    This was the last fish of the trip, and what a doozy: 30 lb. (on the scale) WHITE king. Beauty.
    I didnt see the part about the jacks when I read your post the first time and the picture doesn't show up. I've been concerned about the bycatch of jacks as they may be our big beautiful kings in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Nice, we did well up there Wednesday, then pulled a skunk out today at 3 different spots including that one.
    Man, redleader, you must have been there ("that one" ) at just the wrong time. I pulled up there about 1:00 or 2:00 (??? not exactly sure of the time) today and had a 16 pounder in the box about 10 minutes after dropping my downriggers, and then a 15 lb. white about 15 - 20 minutes after that. At that point my client (only had one) decided to do a little "catch and release" but we didn't get anything before the winds started whipping up some BIG wind waves and we headed for home. I do know that Capt. Nemo did pretty well there, too. A little birdy told me that (something about a 30 pounder!?).

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post

JeffWK1.jpg
    this was the last fish of the trip, and what a doozy: 30 lb. (on the scale) white king. Beauty.
    fantastic!!!!

Redleader-
    Are you sure about the jacks? I understand they are genetically stunted. Anyone else more knowledgeable chime in on this?

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    did you have any trouble with jack bycatch? I've been using bigger baits to try to avoid them.
    That's interesting. I haven't caught a single "jack" at all this year. I remember a couple of years ago when that was just about all you seemed to catch in any given day, but I haven't gotten one yet this year. Hmmmm....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast