Thread: Anyone using the Tenzing 6000?

Default Anyone using the Tenzing 6000?

Anyone using the Tenzing 6000 yet? It seems like a good pack. It has very close similarities to the Kelty that I use. I am a huge fan of Kelty as they're cheap and I have had excellent success hauling game out in them. I kind of like the Tenzing as it seems more durable. It just weighs an extra pound, which is a lot. Any reviews on them? I am an internal pack guy, I will not go external P8240224.jpg Me with the Kelty that has done its job.

I have not used the tenzing 6000 but did use the 5000 the last couple months training and hunting sheep. The 5000 fit my being short better(the 6000 is the same as the 5000 just made to fit a guy with a bigger frame/torso) so i went with it. I was very pleased with the performance and could pack enough for a 10 day hunt in it. I had 80lbs with no problem but did not pack meat with it yet. Only complaint was the side pocket zippers where you would store a range finder etc. If they are not tucked in they will catch on brush and open wide open. We did not lose anything but it could have happened easily. Hopefully get to find out how the meat compartment works in a couple weeks on a goat hunt. I have done a lot of packing with both internal and external frames and found it to be the most comfortable pack I have used in my 30 years in the outdoors.

Nice. Where are you going for goats?

Dixon Glacier across from my house in Homer, hunt DG360. It is my dad who got lucky and drew three tags this year so I will accompany him. Hopefully the weather is better the Sheep hunt. We had the wind storm and 18" of snow. Snowed every day on the sheep hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    Dixon Glacier across from my house in Homer, hunt DG360. It is my dad who got lucky and drew three tags this year so I will accompany him. Hopefully the weather is better the Sheep hunt. We had the wind storm and 18" of snow. Snowed every day on the sheep hunt.
    Lucky is right!! Nice. Good luck. Let me know how you do.

I used a TZ 6000 for our last sheep hunt. I was able to pack 10 days food and gear in it with a little room to spare at about 60#'s. I put all 10 days food, each in a seperate gallon zip lock, in the meat shelf and I liked that.

The bag has alot of great features, meat shelf, side pockets, 3 entries, good camo, waist belt pockets, padded waist belt and handles the load well up to 60#'s. Once I had two quarters,cape, head, and all of 2 days worth of gear/food, and rifle I became less impressed with how it handled. The straps had a tendency to loosen, the weight sagged the pack even though it was distributed well in the shelf and the hip belt tightened down as far as possible. I had to constantly adjust between switching the load from my hips to my shoulders, backt hips, on and on ect.
    I like the rifle holster but it tended to get in the way when I wanted to sit, it would always pushed me to the side so I'd have to sit crooked. very uncomfortable. Next time I put a rifle on it I'll strap it to the side without the sling so it's flush with the botton.
    i thought the meat shelf compression straps (03) would have been better suited if they connected to the other side of the meat shelf, for meat shelf compression, as apposed to wrapping around the entire bag, compressing the whole bag.
    I could go on for days, but overall it's a good pack for $400. Not the best but that seems hard to come by these days.

I'll post some pics in this thread later and include some in the Sheep hunt thread.

Just had the TZ 6000 out for a ten-day Chugach sheep hunt. I'd +1 most of the comments above. The single biggest issue I had with the pack was that the load lifters, shoulder straps, and hip belt do tend to loosen with a heavy load of 70+ lbs. I would also agree that the configuration of the rifle holder tends to make it difficult to sit without taking off the pack. Additionally, being a rather thin guy, I found that the waist belt was just barely small enough for me. If you're waist is 30" or smaller, consider the 5000. Otherwise, the pack is fully adjustable and fit me just fine (5'8", 150 lbs).

Overall, I give the pack 8.5/10. Great value for the price. It has tons of features: rifle holder, integrated rain cover (very handy), hydration pocket, etc. The meat compartment and side pockets are expandable/collapseable, which I found made the pack great for both larger loads coming in/going out and smaller loads for day trips. The pack has numerous pockets of various sizes, which is attractive to OCD guys like me who want to keep their gear organized and easy to access. The zippers are sturdy and never caught, and the pack fabric itself took a beating without signs of wear. It also shed water from light rains well, so no need to keep messing with the rain cover unless it's really coming down. The camo pattern (MAX-1) blended well, both up high and down near the creeks. Perhaps the biggest plus for me was comfort. The TZ 6000 had fantastic lumbar support and really conformed to the lower back. Didn't rub or dig in at the hips or shoulders.

If they would upgrade the pack to keep straps from slipping under heavy loads, I would give the 6000 9.5/10. Really like this pack and feel my $400 was well spent.