Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long range shooting

Default Long range shooting

I have a gunwerks lr 1000 in 7 mm. I decided to take a long range shot at a nice boo. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347567378.767660.jpg
    726 yards.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Nice!! Cant wait to see the comments on this But good on ya. Cool to practice shooting with a nice bull to boot. Good work.

Nicely done! What bullet? Any wind? Nice bou as well.

No wind 180 grain burger
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If ya got the equipment and skill, go for it.
    What kind of berger? I hear the VLDs are good hunting bullets.
    Any chance you recovered the bullet?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I don't even know what to say to you man. Nice gun! I guess?
    Next maybe?....Nice freezer!
    Followed by ...Nice Sitka gear!

Ya didn't really give us much to work with here other than a contoversial subject, Long Range Shooting.

Congrats on you hunting sucess.

Typed before I thought. It was using 168 grain berger vld. The bullet expanded nice and stoped just shy of the hide on the exit. The boo stagered for a few seconds before going down.
    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    If ya got the equipment and skill, go for it.
    What kind of berger? I hear the VLDs are good hunting bullets.
    Any chance you recovered the bullet?

If you have the equipment, have the practice and have the mental capability to make long shots then drop the hammer! I've made several long shots of the distance you're talking and it's nice to know you can do it if you need to! Congrats on the bull and on the shot!

Nice bou and congrats
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I don't even know what to say to you man. Nice gun! I guess?
    Next maybe?....Nice freezer!
    Followed by ...Nice Sitka gear!

Ya didn't really give us much to work with here other than a contoversial subject, Long Range Shooting.

Congrats on you hunting sucess.
    Ladies and Gentleman Bighorse on his soapbox hold your applause after the show!

Oh congrats to the OP nice shooting for sure!

Congrats. I just retooled my shooting system this year and I am confident out to 600 yards. Nice shot, nice bull, and way to let technology expand your horizons.

I was thinking to mention something like,..."Darn, that's almost an entire day, that could have been spent in really cool stalking mode,
    my favorite part of the hunt
    looking to get to less than 100 yds,....versus spending it back in town, on the internet" (y'kno, cause your done out there)

Then I ran into your quote, from another thread, and I guess I do agree,

"I say a 726 yard shot is nice shooting. A 100 yard shot is good hunting." wolfkiller

That is an impressive shot, but I wonder if you just took it cause you could, already had several Caribou down,...??
    or you took it cause it was as close as you could get,...?
    which would be a good reason to take a long shot like that I guess, going home hungry.

You are pretty brave for posting that tho,...no criticism from me, only the wondering
    Man, I can't even see the 500 yard target at the range anymore, can Totally Not Imagine, how you did that

So, is there more to the story, like how you factored in for wind drift, what kind of scope you had, how you figured it all out, I'm curious
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

KR

I have the same systm and it does take some getting use too..but very forgiving and extremly axcurate right out if the box. of course pratice and more pratice helps. these 168 berger bullets are pretty neat. left a hole the size of a baseball on my spring black bear this year at 100 yards. seen the same damage on goats and sheep out to 500 with it. the nightforce scope is an upgrade from what gunwerks was running before and makes it pretty easy with the 24pw to look at that bou at 700 yards. if he has the compensator for wind already programed and figured out, the new optics makes it pretty easy to determine drift with some knowledg of how the system works.

sounds like a great hunt and solid shot. congrats

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I was thinking to mention something like,..."Darn, that's almost an entire day, that could have been spent in really cool stalking mode,
    my favorite part of the hunt
    looking to get to less than 100 yds,....versus spending it back in town, on the internet" (y'kno, cause your done out there)

Then I ran into your quote, from another thread, and I guess I do agree,

"I say a 726 yard shot is nice shooting. A 100 yard shot is good hunting." wolfkiller

That is an impressive shot, but I wonder if you just took it cause you could, already had several Caribou down,...??
    or you took it cause it was as close as you could get,...?
    which would be a good reason to take a long shot like that I guess, going home hungry.

You are pretty brave for posting that tho,...no criticism from me, only the wondering
    Man, I can't even see the 500 yard target at the range anymore, can Totally Not Imagine, how you did that

So, is there more to the story, like how you factored in for wind drift, what kind of scope you had, how you figured it all out, I'm curious
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    I have a gunwerks lr 1000 in 7 mm. I decided to take a long range shot at a nice boo. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347567378.767660.jpg
    726 yards.
    Wolfkiller,

I just talked to Mike Davidson and am ordering mine as we speak. Great story. Amazing shot. Can't wait to get mine for sheep season next year.

Nice shooting Wolfkiller!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Nice shooting Wolfkiller!
    +1

What gives with the negative responses?

Abortion is a controversial subject-shooting a caribou at 700yds, not so much...

I don't see any negative responses... But it seems like a few folks are trying to see negativity that just isn't there.

Impressive shot, I too would be interested to hear more about how you factor in the drop, drift, etc. not familiar with the fancy scopes.

Same here when I see it on tv I get confused so please the nitty gritty on that scope...

ok gents...go to gunwerks.com or giogle nightforce scopes..pretty easy to figure it out...just saying

the scope and ammo are matched to your weapon. the scope' turret is computer calibrated to automatically compensate for the frop when you turn it and dial in the distance of the animal or target. wind has to be done by either doping or by one of three methods described or used.

good stuff..but they have videos that will explain it on youtube...so grab a beer and start typing...lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

nice shooting... i to have shot gunwerks rifles at ultra long ranges. i think they are over rated due to their price point and weight, albeit very nice. you can find rifles that are just as precise and accurate for half the price and 3lbs. less. i have some and so do others here on these threads. great job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast