Thread: Weather question for this weekend

Default Weather question for this weekend

I haven't gotten out yet this year & was planning on trying this weekend. The question I have is what did people see during this last windstorm.
    It is probably not applicable for those in the palmer hay flats as I don't know how strong the winds were that way. I hunt the girdwood flats area & with another strong wind storm predicted to hit Saturday afternoon I was debating if it would be worth chancing in the morning.
    I haven't looked at the wx report yet but I imagine it is another low pressure system, not an arctic blast so I don't expect any birds moving down. Just curiouis to see what people experieneced for movement during the last storm.

For us the coming storm means that we won't be able to get out to our favorite spot and even if we could we would likely have to spend 3-4 days out there until things settle down (which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world !). I was looking forward to my first duck hunt of the year with my son but looks like we will have to go with Plan B and see how my lab does with upland birds. She has never done any upland hunting but based on how my previous retrievers did she should catch on pretty quickly. As far as the birds moving I think that depends on where you are. I don't think that a low coming barreling in will move any birds from up north. Presonally I love to hunt stormy weather but have to admit that I have had some of my best hunting on blue bird days. Was fortunate enough to be invited to hunt out of a friends duck shack across the inlet for opening day and the weather was clear both days and we limited out both days and added a few geese to our take. But if you see three guys wandering around on some hillside somewhere between Anchorage and Fairbanks don't worry it's just three waterfowl junkies who are pretending that those ptamigan are green heads.....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I like to hunt windy days, strong wind perfered. For one, the ripples/waves created by the wind bounce around the deks to make them more lifelike. It keeps the ducks moving, they don't like being bounced around and look for calmer waters. I try to set my deks on the lee side of a island or spit. Ducks that are flying generally flying lower and looking for shelteed place to park their butt. Those flying with the wind are going about 90 mph, you reallly have to work to catch up to them with the shotgun, those flying against the wind sometimes can appear to be standing still. Be careful, someplace you hunt with boats can become dangerous to cross when the wind comes up. Bud
    Wasilla

best hunts have been on high windy days....you can't just expect a calm morning with a nice 10knot cross wind with partly cloudy skies to happen every day as a duckhunter...I don't get excited until the winds kick up and the ice starts to form..best days on the marsh

sounds like some fareweather duckunters out there...(please don't wake me up if it is raining or the wind is blowing over10mph...I don't wnt to get cold or have to deal with the elements...lol come on!)

stay at home guys...leaves more birds for the true diehard waterfowlers

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I like to hunt windy days, strong wind perfered. For one, the ripples/waves created by the wind bounce around the deks to make them more lifelike. It keeps the ducks moving, they don't like being bounced around and look for calmer waters. I try to set my deks on the lee side of a island or spit. Ducks that are flying generally flying lower and looking for shelteed place to park their butt. Those flying with the wind are going about 90 mph, you reallly have to work to catch up to them with the shotgun, those flying against the wind sometimes can appear to be standing still. Be careful, someplace you hunt with boats can become dangerous to cross when the wind comes up. Bud
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

You can bet your @ss I will be out there! Horrible weather = ducks!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Well this might ruin my plans for heading offshore to get to some areas but I'm not going to miss hunting off this weather front for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Well this might ruin my plans for heading offshore to get to some areas but I'm not going to miss hunting off this weather front for anything!
    Me either... not leaky waders, early starts, hangovers, long drives, or stinking work... I'll be in the marsh. If the dog can stand like a statue in the crappy weather, so can I.

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

My YLab of 12 years never looked back once that door opened. no matter how ugly the weather was, she never let me leave alone.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post

best hunts have been on high windy days....you can't just expect a calm morning with a nice 10knot cross wind with partly cloudy skies to happen every day as a duckhunter...I don't get excited until the winds kick up and the ice starts to form..best days on the marsh

sounds like some fareweather duckunters out there...(please don't wake me up if it is raining or the wind is blowing over10mph...I don't wnt to get cold or have to deal with the elements...lol come on!)

stay at home guys...leaves more birds for the true diehard waterfowlers
    I hear you & agree but this isn't going to be the cold snow / sleet being blown around with the northerners moving through.( Last year I haulded a wood spliter / maul out with me & attemted to chip throught the ice for one more day)
    This is just a above ave windy day, just not sure how many will be moving if it is too windy. However, like you said if there are enough early season only folks out it should help to keep them moving around.

Brother..let me tell you a quick story on wind..

Last year me and a buddy went to DL and was camping out there for two nights. The first night was great, stayed with a couple of regulars out there and had a great hunt the next morning. That afternoon while on the west end of the lake the winds picked up..I mean 60plus for the rest of the day..we slaughtered the birds..but didnt realize it until we started to slowly move the boat back that 3/4 of DL was empty and nothing but MUD. Yep..water was gone!. We got the boat as close to the bank still more than half way from the portage area. Stuck two paddles in the mud as far down as we could, stored all the gear and walked 1/2 mile back to camp. Hoping the winds would die down, water would works it way in and by morning we would be able to walk back and out to the boat in 3ft of water and retrieve it. That night the winds continued until aroound 2am..my buddies tent and shelter he has used out there for a dozen years was blown away...we struggled to keep it staked down and eventually gave in to the winds..the guy who owns the cabin there at the portage is a friend and he took all 3 of us in for the night. Next morning we awoke to a nice 15knot wind and enough water in the lake for our buddy to get us out to the boat..when we got there..boat was gone..no paddles etc..we searched in the dark with a spotlight and after a brief 10 mins found it stuck on a shallow island on west end of the lake. We recovered the boat..fired her up and had another limit day. I hear ya...but outside of hunting Kansas northerns for over a decade(which were a welcome sight) this was crazy wind..but an awesome experience in waterfowling. I mean you could not keep the birds out of the decoys..large groups, small, no matter..every bird that hit that lake came by. It is an annual event in AK..sure many will agree come September it can get rough out there..but the hunting can be phenominal if you take the necessary precautions and are half way willing to endure it.

wind..been there and done that...

If you have a decent boat and the know how.. I would give it a try..the birds will be moving and you will probably have a great hunt..just my 3 cents on the wind subject.

The great thing about the wind is you dont need hunters out there moving birds around..they get restless, stress out and just fly..they try to tuck in the upwind pockets..but if the wind is over 20-25knots..they eventually get blown back and have to get up..when they do, it is downwind where they start looking for others. Most will just raft up in the middle or upwind sides of the lake. I hunt with large spreads..and on this particular weekend I had over 100 decoys out and 2dozen canada floaters..had a couple of long tails and smaller groups set downwind of the larger spread and it worked like majic. We were set up 25 yards toward the smaller groups and downwind of the larger spread..they came in low and slow with that headwind...almost like hovering for 5 secs before they decided to land. pretty easy shoot. All the divers came in as expected low, fast and slid in.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    I hear you & agree but this isn't going to be the cold snow / sleet being blown around with the northerners moving through.( Last year I haulded a wood spliter / maul out with me & attemted to chip throught the ice for one more day)
    This is just a above ave windy day, just not sure how many will be moving if it is too windy. However, like you said if there are enough early season only folks out it should help to keep them moving around.

On cutting ice..try a chainsaw..lot less work than a maul and works great.. If any of you can get to the water out there after it ices up this year..later in October, usually the third or last weekend..could be sooner or later..if your boat can break the ice. Get out there..use the boat to break a hole in the ice about 30 yards across(basically drive in a circle), get out and push the huge slabs downwind/current under the other ice. Use a fishing net to scoop the smaller pieces out of the hole..drop 2 dozen decoys in there with a few full bodies on the upwind edge of the ice or just take a few decoys and put them there like they are sitting, group them close together..6-8 inches apart..and if you have about 4-7(famly)full body Canada decoys take the feet off and put them to the side of the hole..backside along the edge almost right behind each other..maybe one sentry in the front or in the rear. drop one or two floaters right next to them in the water and it will be game on! Dont overthink this..dont use huge spreads..any bird that flys the river or can see them will come. Dont hail call..use a lone hen, greeting call or a mix of greeting and comeback..you will have a blast. I have hunted ice for years and love hunting ice. Have always had some awesome shooting with it.

Only drawback is if there is another open area you are not aware of with birds..you wil compete with the real ones..but eventually birds will get up and move around the lake..they dont fly as much during the colder weather..but they have to eat so they will. usually shooting gets better later in the morning say around 9-3pm warmer part of the day. If you can, pick up and move to where the birds have the water open. Push them out and set up in their living room. give it about 20-30 mins and eventually they will return.

Make sure you know your hunting area this year when the waters start to lock up. The upwind portion of the lake, pond etc will lock up first..downwind area will lock up later and probably be where the birds will be. Scouting is important.

When the ponds and holes lock up..hit the rivers...till they head to CA. or go to the sea.

Hope this helps at least one new waterfowler out there this year..good luck, birds should start showing up in two weeks in larger numbers and you guys should have another banner year. It is a short season..so get out and enjoy it...

I have no problem hunting when it's nasty-as I said I prefer it. The thing is some of us don't just walk or ride a fourwheeler out to our favorite spot. Any numbnut wants to head out in a boat in big water when it's calling for 50 kts with 17' seas is welcome to it. We'll be reading about how the USCG found ya washed up on a beach.

I agree..dont think the salt would be a smart move..maybe some local marshes, ponds and smaller bodies of water. Some have pretty good cover and can still provide some fantastic shooting opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    I have no problem hunting when it's nasty-as I said I prefer it. The thing is some of us don't just walk or ride a fourwheeler out to our favorite spot. Any numbnut wants to head out in a boat in big water when it's calling for 50 kts with 17' seas is welcome to it. We'll be reading about how the USCG found ya washed up on a beach.

It's a trade off for us. We hunt a place that is sometimes not reachable due to the marine weather. So that means that sometimes (like this weekend) we just can't go out. On the other hand in the last five years of hunting our spot we have never had anyone hunting anywhere near us-which means we don't hear folks shooting before legal hour, we don't have folks wandering around spooking birds, we don't see folks shooting at swans and we don't find our spot trashed out. I've tried hunting in areas with other hunters and while 95% of them are ethical hunters and don't encroach into another groups area, there always seems to be at least one or two folks who don't have a clue. While I enjoy fishing, bear and deer hunting, waterfowling is what my dog and I live for. The last thing I want is to have it ruined by somebody who is just out for a walk with a gun. I'll get off my soap box now...

Default decs

Would you guys recommend using decs on a really windy/rainy day? Just at palmer flats btw.

Yeah of course..is there a specific question on area or tech?

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Would you guys recommend using decs on a really windy/rainy day? Just at palmer flats btw.

Well I am looking at duck call but I need something affordable because I am not aloud to work during school. Have and suggestions? And I am guessing that I should put the decoys around the most calm part of the pond right? Thanks.

The Haydel DR-85 is about 20 bucks. And yes, put them in the calm spot and put your blind with the wind to your back, so they have to land into the wind. It will make them almost hover over your decoys, then you can pretty much pick out the bird you want and take him.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

not sure if the link works..shows the map of anticipated winds in MPH. looks like I would have my deciys facing southeast and I would be hunkered down faceing them. birds will either be flipping across the water heading my direction or trying to hover above the decoys...lol have fun out there guys
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...1&theater&_rdr

I have been thinking about buying a jon boat just for this reason. I do not think my hybrid would be the best boat for ice. I agree that windy days are the best. Last season on DL a buddy and I had our best hunt of the season on a real windy day, and boy was it interesting getting my little hybrid off DL when the current was against us haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    On cutting ice..try a chainsaw..lot less work than a maul and works great.. If any of you can get to the water out there after it ices up this year..later in October, usually the third or last weekend..could be sooner or later..if your boat can break the ice. Get out there..use the boat to break a hole in the ice about 30 yards across(basically drive in a circle), get out and push the huge slabs downwind/current under the other ice. Use a fishing net to scoop the smaller pieces out of the hole..drop 2 dozen decoys in there with a few full bodies on the upwind edge of the ice or just take a few decoys and put them there like they are sitting, group them close together..6-8 inches apart..and if you have about 4-7(famly)full body Canada decoys take the feet off and put them to the side of the hole..backside along the edge almost right behind each other..maybe one sentry in the front or in the rear. drop one or two floaters right next to them in the water and it will be game on! Dont overthink this..dont use huge spreads..any bird that flys the river or can see them will come. Dont hail call..use a lone hen, greeting call or a mix of greeting and comeback..you will have a blast. I have hunted ice for years and love hunting ice. Have always had some awesome shooting with it.

Only drawback is if there is another open area you are not aware of with birds..you wil compete with the real ones..but eventually birds will get up and move around the lake..they dont fly as much during the colder weather..but they have to eat so they will. usually shooting gets better later in the morning say around 9-3pm warmer part of the day. If you can, pick up and move to where the birds have the water open. Push them out and set up in their living room. give it about 20-30 mins and eventually they will return.

Make sure you know your hunting area this year when the waters start to lock up. The upwind portion of the lake, pond etc will lock up first..downwind area will lock up later and probably be where the birds will be. Scouting is important.

When the ponds and holes lock up..hit the rivers...till they head to CA. or go to the sea.

Hope this helps at least one new waterfowler out there this year..good luck, birds should start showing up in two weeks in larger numbers and you guys should have another banner year. It is a short season..so get out and enjoy it...