Thread: Geese on ft richardson?

Default Geese on ft richardson?

Every morning i see the geese flying to the softball fields on Ft Richardson and was wondering if anyone Knows where they are coming from or where they have been bedding?

somewhere where nobody can get to them...followed them a few years ago. just enjoy them and keep searching...lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

They are park geese and are so well trained you will only find them on lawns around base or town. They water on lakes in city parks or on base.

I think they go to Eagle River and sit in there somewhere. When I used to live in North Eagle River they used to fly over my appartment on the way to Ft. Rich. They are pretty much untouchable, and stay in town.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

They head south at some point - we like to stalk them in the glaciers! Tuff hunt'n tho they decoy easy.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyakadayday View Post
    Every morning i see the geese flying to the softball fields on Ft Richardson and was wondering if anyone Knows where they are coming from or where they have been bedding?

Seems like if someone on here knew where they were going, and it was a huntable location, they wouldn't be going there anymore!

I'm with bullelkklr on this one, I just wait for them to hit the glaciers and hunt them there. It sure beats body booting in the Turnagain Arm, which is how I used to do it...

On a more serious note, those geese are so patterned, there's probably no way to hunt them. I'm sure many have tried. They're your standard golf course geese. They've found a nice place to roost and feed year after year. They aren't getting shot at either location, food is abundant, so they're probably in no hurry to change their flight plan. I think the only scheduled change in their plans year after year is to head south. It's really frustrating to watch them daily fly right into the fields around BPFC, but just think of it as an opportunity to watch waterfowl while you're at work; otherwise, you'll lose your mind trying to pattern those particular birds.

very true, I spent some gas and time in both boat and truck...finally figured it out, but didn't want to take the chance of stepping on an unexploded ord...lol

pretty smart group of birds

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Seems like if someone on here knew where they were going, and it was a huntable location, they wouldn't be going there anymore!

I'm with bullelkklr on this one, I just wait for them to hit the glaciers and hunt them there. It sure beats body booting in the Turnagain Arm, which is how I used to do it...

On a more serious note, those geese are so patterned, there's probably no way to hunt them. I'm sure many have tried. They're your standard golf course geese. They've found a nice place to roost and feed year after year. They aren't getting shot at either location, food is abundant, so they're probably in no hurry to change their flight plan. I think the only scheduled change in their plans year after year is to head south. It's really frustrating to watch them daily fly right into the fields around BPFC, but just think of it as an opportunity to watch waterfowl while you're at work; otherwise, you'll lose your mind trying to pattern those particular birds.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.