Thread: Free Pepper plants

Default Free Pepper plants

I started some green and red bell pepper plants this spring, and my greenhouse has became too shaded to benefit from a good sunny day. My plants grew slower than I wanted and now are just beginning to set peppers. I know doom is on the horizon so I dug a few up and put them in pots in my house, by my windows, for increased heat. They transplanted very well and indeed are continuing to grow peppers.
    Anyway, I have several, about 16-20 inches tall, that folks can try for themselves, if they want. Aside from that, I will also give an update on my indoor fall pepper attempts.
    I live close to walmart, drop a pm and I will give a call or leave my number.

Default Peppers in the window

The plants I brought in have a whole 6 peppers on them with two being larger than a golfball and growing well with the recent sunshine. Besides, they are kinda nice looking house plants
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have my hot peppers planted up and several are over three (3) years old and still producing. Outside when warm and indoors when cold returns. The oldest stems become woody and the pollination of flowers becomes tedious while indoors without nature's pollinators.

Default Good idea thanks Nusko

I wonder if my bell pepper plants can survive till spring? If so, they would be pretty good size plants by the end of next summer. They are currently loving the sunny days, may get enough for some pepper steak yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    I wonder if my bell pepper plants can survive till spring? If so, they would be pretty good size plants by the end of next summer. They are currently loving the sunny days, may get enough for some pepper steak yet.
    Mark
    I've got one old bell pepper plant that has spent summers outside up next to the southside of house and winters inside in a south window. It's going on 4 yrs now. I thought I killed it once due to neglect, but gave it some water and a shot of miricle grow and it bounced back fine.

John

Mark, I always fight an Aphid outbreak when I bring mine back inside, do you have a similar problem? If so, what have you done?

Default Aphids

I cut back the grass around my greenhouse door and keep it closed. They either have to fly in, crawl in, or travel on clothes, themselves, or by means of eggs. This is something I have been devestated with in the past, and blame most, or all of it, on (not) controlling the factors I mentioned. I think your out-break might be happening because the eggs are already on the plants, from your greenhouse, and the warm house air makes them happy.
    In Costa Rica in certain butterfly displays they have two entrances to the exhibit, with the first being draped in clothlike netting. I hear cayanne pepper sauce water mix will work as a spray, rumor that is. Mine are clean this year

I got aphids the last two years and I am throwing in the towel on peppers.
    I hate spraying chems and have decided to focus my efforts on more tomato plants in their stead.

I cut back the grass around my greenhouse door and keep it closed. They either have to fly in, crawl in, or travel on clothes, themselves, or by means of eggs. This is something I have been devestated with in the past, and blame most, or all of it, on (not) controlling the factors I mentioned. I think your out-break might be happening because the eggs are already on the plants, from your greenhouse, and the warm house air makes them happy.
    In Costa Rica in certain butterfly displays they have two entrances to the exhibit, with the first being draped in clothlike netting. I hear cayanne pepper sauce water mix will work as a spray, rumor that is. Mine are clean this year

Default Holiday pepper steak

The peppers are maturing, just fine, although the growth rate is slower than the long summer days would provide. I am surprised to see new peppers forming, until now, since I moved them in, the flowers have bloomed and wilted away. However, I am curious to see how the lack of sunlight for the next two months pans out, concerning their survival.
    I have 6 little peppers which will, hopefully make some great pepper steak for Christmas week.

Default Peppers quality

The New Ace Hybrid and California Wonder produce, high quality, sweet, Red Bell Peppers that are above most supermarket varieties, I mean they are really tasty, real palate blasters.
    Anyway my first attempt flopped outside in my old shady greenhouse, brought them in and got these cute little peppers by December 1st. The good part is, two plants set 7-8 new peppers which are growing faster than the first batch, and will probably be bigger because of that, however, we will see how the lack of sunlight plays into the scheme. Next summer I am going to make a much more serious stab at growing these.
    Kinda fun winter window gardening.

You will get less as well as small and mishapen peppers throught the winter. Lack of light plays a part but I'm thinking the pollination might have something to do with it also. If you have an area to hang cool flourescent tubes (cheapest) about an inch or two above the leaves it should help. I haven't researched the expensive grow light options.

I started some green and red bell pepper plants this spring, and my greenhouse has became too shaded to benefit from a good sunny day. My plants grew slower than I wanted and now are just beginning to set peppers. I know doom is on the horizon so I dug a few up and put them in pots in my house, by my windows, for increased heat. They transplanted very well and indeed are continuing to grow peppers.
    Anyway, I have several, about 16-20 inches tall, that folks can try for themselves, if they want. Aside from that, I will also give an update on my indoor fall pepper attempts.
    I live close to walmart, drop a pm and I will give a call or leave my number.
    I am moving to Houston in 15 days and have a green house in my new home! I am moving from Connecticut and don't know anyone! I would LOVE some peppers to start my new adventure off!

Default Winter pepper feast

Just as Nusko stated; the second harvest in mid winter produced small-ish mis-shapen peppers. But, to say the least, they were great on pizza and in breakfast scramble, and I have other houseplants that are uglier plants than they are. With the sunlight increasing their vigor is also noticable, back out they go in March. BTW; not excactly feast yields lol

Just as Nusko stated; the second harvest in mid winter produced small-ish mis-shapen peppers. But, to say the least, they were great on pizza and in breakfast scramble, and I have other houseplants that are uglier plants than they are. With the sunlight increasing their vigor is also noticable, back out they go in March. BTW; not excactly feast yields lol
    Mark
    How did your bell peppers winter ? My Pepper sat in a Southern window all winter, and right now it is starting to blossom. I think this is a California Big Bell variety, but I didn't write it down, and don't have any thing to really verify the variety. Last year it produced some decent sized peppers, but like yours, the winter peppers were pretty scrawny and mis-shaped.

I used last years tomato seeds this year. I started 25 peat pellets on the 2nd, and right now I have a good 56% germination showing. Need a couple more days of serious sunshine to improve the process.

John

Default Peppers for steak

I have moved some inside the greenhouse, up front,they are covered in blossoms and have several peppers setting.

Default Lots of peppers

I counted 29 peppers on the 3 plants in this pot, the weight of the peppers is smashing the plants. Much fun, good food.

You're growing stuff like you're in Florida
    & having lots of fun .
    Good on you
    The 60 Green house at night &
    14 hours of sun making thing grow.

Default Peppers and Aphid control

Some folks told me the other day that they put their pepper plants high up in the greenhouse, and their theory was the aphids hate the heat while the peppers love it. Anyway, I thought this might be worth trying.

Default California Wonder is wonderful

What a great variety