Thread: Any body have any luck hunting hare on the hay flats

Default Any body have any luck hunting hare on the hay flats

Has any one had any luck hunting hare on the hay flats. I saw this http://www.palmerhayflats.org/maps/T...ESS-5-9-12.pdf and it just Made me curious.

Default Any body have any luck hunting hare on the hay flats

There are bunnies on the flats. Plenty of pressure so you have to walk more and kick the brush.

During high hare cycles it can be a pretty darn good place to hunt, though it's worth walking at least a half mile or more off the road before you really start hunting. We're working into a low cycle (to my understanding) though, so it might take some effort to find the hares. If we have a late snowfall, mid October and later can be pretty spectacular.

Awesome I might check it out one of these weekends, thanks.

Best to wait until we get some hard frosts. The grass out there is really thick and the bunnies will hold tight. Wait until the grass lays down a bit and the water either goes away or freezes, then the fun begins. Are you hunting alone or with a four footed friend? I've had my best days without the dogs. Keep your eyes peeled for birds also, on more than one occasion i've kicked up ruffies in certain areas out there.

I haven't seen any starting to turn yet down this way but once they start turning they should be a bit easier to find until snow settles in.

The hay flats do hold bunnies. It is heavily hunted though and makes for some very weary bunnies. I have had them take off far away or hold until I am just about to step on them. lol that sure gets the heart pumping!

Im going alone. Any good starting points east or west side of the flats.

I'm wondering how the bunnies fared with the flood a couple weeks ago. During it's peak, there was water within about a foot of cresting the Knik River Access road, and just about the entire east side was underwater from the Knik to the Matanuska, which is where most of the bunnies live.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!