Thread: These are the good ole days..

Default These are the good ole days..

Enjoying all the upland posts, I managed an afterwork/dinner run to the woods with Gal. New area off Google earth and a suggestion from a pal, we entered the vortex, and soon I had to park or loose myself in a maze of personal use firewood area. Old logging roads everywhere. We headed down slope into the wind and the fading sun along a road cut much older than the former timber sale. Gal casting around nice a ruff flushed 25 yards off to the right and wild. My Gal didn't see it, I mounted and swung at the flush tracking the bird into spruce cover, swung ahead of it, and missed. No bird. The dog was happy, bounding around after the shot, ears forward looking at me, back at the cover, she ground scents it, works some about and we leave off the direction downwind mostly because I don't know the area. The sun is setting. The light is changing by the minute. I don't know the area but yessir, I will...

We circle back to the truck, check out another spot too full of snags to harbor a grouse, work some trails for scent, walk a trail with moose beds along it, find the truck and drive. About 2 more miles on the mainline I find a gravel pit, a steep south slope and aspens with an open understory. It's the same my friend described and showed me the week before heading to Delta. Mental note, it has possibilities...I go two more miles, run out most of the daylight, intersect 3 roads and turn the truck around. Gal and I hop out to check the shrubs once more before highballing it back to town. Its cold now, the air is pungent with highbush cranberry, she wants to hunt, but we gotta go. There comes an autumn night...

Back in the rig, I settle on 2nd gear to keep our speed down. Sure enough, at the pit with the south slope aspens, a ruffed grouse flushes off road right at 20 yards, tips her tail so I can see it fine, straightens out in that odd head up flying fashion ruffed grouse can only do, then she tips her tail level smoothes herself out all straight and dang near breaks the sound barrier. Gal saw it all. Thought she was going out the 6 inch crack in the back seat window. Ruffed grouse folks...I'm where I belong. So stoked I cain't sleep....

Ahhh, Grasshopper! The adventure begins for you have arrived in upland mecca- Interior Alaska!

After spanking the sharptails again yesterday the dogs and I hit some favorite ruffed grouse cover before nosing the truck toward home. Moved some ruffs, but I let 'em fly for another day and saved the lead. Already had a bunch of birds to clean and - like a wild rainbow trout or steelhead - I figured those ruffs were too valuable to only use once. But next time...

I just can't make myself trudge around in the forest, yet. Keep the stories coming though. I think it makes it easier to get by at least hearing about others stomping through the countryside. Maybe it makes it harder. Either way, I enjoy the reports.
    Go Big Red!