Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does your average sheep hunting day consist of?

Default What does your average sheep hunting day consist of?

I was lucky enough to get a ram my first year sheep hunting, but it was no easy task. My question is what does your average day consist of when you are sheep hunting? I would like to hear different opinions on what hunters do differently. Do you hike until you see sheep? Do you sit and glass? what do you do at a particular time of day? I am just trying to educate myself from what veteran sheep hunters do, compared to what I did this year.

what ever you did you must of done it right since you got a sheep.....

no easy answer to your question. I do whatever it takes to get a sheep. Sometimes I have to wait them out sometimes I have to run up the side of the hill.. what I dont and wont do is walk casually down the center of a valley or stroll down a ridge and skyline myself cause that only ensures one thing...no sheep..

every range is diifferent too brooks sheep seem to hang out in the greener stuff and are easier to spot whereas in the alaska range they sit on a mountain perch in the big and nasty rocks and cliffs where from the bottom it is extremely diffcult to see them and real easy to spook them so more glassing is required...

it seemed like we only saw sheep early in the mornings or in the evenings? what do you do during mid day if you don't have any sheep located to put a stalk on? we just kept hiking until we found sheep, but how many sheep did we walk by that were bedded on a bench that we couldn't see from below? We also only saw sheep in the main river drainages, we only saw a few sheep up the small side drainages. Is that normal?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

[QUOTE=Bear;1174341]
    no easy answer to your question. I do whatever it takes to get a sheep. .
    1 easy answer.....

=

#2 doing what ever..

go to delta... or pt mac.. pay farmer... shoot one in head w .38 in barn... easy pack out.. and heck of a lot better tasting..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm no veteran by any means - only been on 2 walk in sheep hunts.
    I wake up when I do, eat a nice breakfast and glass the immediate vicinity from my campsite. If nothing is nearby I pick a nearby spot to go explore, try to get sweet pictures of the scenery throughout the day, and look for cell reception. I head back to camp in the evening, boil water for some awesome backpackers pantry, and chill by the tent playing cards or read a book and scheme for the next day while I keep an eye on the mountains that I can see until dark.

Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    it seemed like we only saw sheep early in the mornings or in the evenings? what do you do during mid day if you don't have any sheep located to put a stalk on? we just kept hiking until we found sheep, but how many sheep did we walk by that were bedded on a bench that we couldn't see from below? We also only saw sheep in the main river drainages, we only saw a few sheep up the small side drainages. Is that normal?
    depends on traffic and food in the main drainage I would think... Also keep in mind rams and lambs and ewes can and will have entirely different behaviors.. bands of lambs and ewes and small rams will usually do the typical textbook feed down head back partway up for nap feed down again and head up in evening where as the big rams may hardly move at all amd almost never seem to come down to the nice stuff..but again this just depends on the area and mountains.. I try to do more spotting and walking with my eyes then my feet.. one wrong move could change an entire outcome of a sheep hunt

[QUOTE=Vince;1174356]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post

1 easy answer.....

=

#2 doing what ever..

go to delta... or pt mac.. pay farmer... shoot one in head w .38 in barn... easy pack out.. and heck of a lot better tasting..
    Ya know Vince when at the bottom with a heavy pack looking up....the thought of that would be extremely tempting...

I know their is no easy answer to sheep hunting. That is not what i was asking, I wanted to know how do you plan your day. Do you get up at 4am and start hiking or do you wake up at 4 and drink coffee and glass from tent? I know there is no right answer, however i am interested to hear different approaches/ rules of different hunters. I am just trying to become a smarter hunter.

From my limited experience sheep hunting it all depends on your location and the animals location. I have hunted and been able to spot sheep right from camp so that is what I have done. Then when I figured out they were not legal rams I moved off and checked out areas that I could not glass from camp. Kept at that all day and headed back just before dark and repeat the next day.

I know their is no easy answer to sheep hunting. That is not what i was asking, I wanted to know how do you plan your day. Do you get up at 4am and start hiking or do you wake up at 4 and drink coffee and glass from tent? I know there is no right answer, however i am interested to hear different approaches/ rules of different hunters. I am just trying to become a smarter hunter.
    gottcha....well for me if not on a stalk i get up at the crack of light grab a bite, grab a my pack and stove,some ramen and about a dozen bags of coffee,head to the nearest perch where I have a great vantage and sit and spot and spot and drink coffee and spot some more.. If I feel the drainage is dry I move on...

There's no formula. Every day is unique and special. I don't think you can plan your day. I've tried and I never end up doing what I planned. Trying to apply a rule or approach to sheep hunting is nearly pointless. It's about being flexible and creative. At 4 am on sheep hunts: I've gotten up and immediately started hiking, I've looked out the tent at pea fog and gone back to sleep, I've just entered REM sleep, I've been actively on a stalk, I've been huddled behind a rock waiting for a ram to move into range, I've just rolled into camp, I've been packing sheep, I've been running down a mountain to escape a storm, etc. etc. I guess that's one of the allures, it never happens the same way twice. Congrats on your sheep...with a bow?

My plan for next year in the brooks is to go to a college kid type weekend schedule. Stay up super late drink a beer before bed then sleep till noon. Do it all again the next day.

We did the up early thing last season and we did get a sheep for my partner but I am looking forward to a more relaxed hunt next time.

Thanks for the info, no with a gun. I am going after a goat in 2 weeks with the bow. I just had to much money invested to take a bow on my first sheep hunt. once i get a few sheep under my belt and get a good idea what i am doing i might try with the bow.

Are days consisted of breaking down camp at 4:30, hiking between 6-10 miles a day looking for a legal ram (17 miles on one day), at the same time glassing every new hillside we came across. we never camped in the same spot twice until we killed are first ram. After taking care of the first ram we were off exploring new country looking for ram #2. I don't know if we were traveling to much? A retired sheep guide told us " sheep are where you find them" so we kept hiking until we found them.

" sheep are where you find them" .
    that pretty much sums it up.

Also - take camp with you, look into every crevice, take a real good look at every sheep you see, and be patient.

StickSlinger,
    Your post #14 sums it all up for me. Cover more ground and new ground. Sometimes with your feet. Sometimes with glass.
    Next year will be easier. Rams traditionally use the same areas many years. In two little glacial bowls I have shot three rams from the same sheep beds in six years. In another bowl my buddy and I have killed four rams in two seasons. So next year you can quickly glass the non-productive areas, and really concentrate on the known ram producing areas.
    Continue to put barriers between you and the competition. Barriers are brush choked ridge lines, ragged mountains, and cold-arse rivers. Out-work and out-walk the other guys and you will continue to kill rams.
    Imagine (It's easy if you try)
    …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
    (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

That is some darn good advice Dennis!

I am slowly starting to get a few friends that I actually trust and between us we can scout more ground on limited schedules.

Of course there is always risk when sharing confidential information with friend so we take steps to protect our hard work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcSW...e_gdata_player

The majority of our hunt this year was spent in the tents waiting for fog/snow/rain clouds to lift so that we could use our spotting scopes or hike up drainages.

I had a great sheep hunt this year. Every time I've gone out I've learned something new, and pushed into new boundaries. Last hunt we're up at 6am...and hunted to arrive at camp 1 hour before dark. It really depends on the area you're hunting as to the strategy to employ. Lots of variables.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    There's no formula. Every day is unique and special. I don't think you can plan your day. I've tried and I never end up doing what I planned. Trying to apply a rule or approach to sheep hunting is nearly pointless. It's about being flexible and creative. At 4 am on sheep hunts: I've gotten up and immediately started hiking, I've looked out the tent at pea fog and gone back to sleep, I've just entered REM sleep, I've been actively on a stalk, I've been huddled behind a rock waiting for a ram to move into range, I've just rolled into camp, I've been packing sheep, I've been running down a mountain to escape a storm, etc. etc. I guess that's one of the allures, it never happens the same way twice. Congrats on your sheep...with a bow?
    Well said, Fullcurl. Just go out there and look for sheep. Use your best judgment and keep looking for sheep. Try to get back to the tent in time to eat a super buttery, fatty, calorie rich meal, take a few swigs of whiskey, crash out, wake up before first light, and repeat. By the end of this, you should at least be able to put on a couple sweet stalks on legal rams if you see any. And if not, you put your time in and paid your dues. You did everything you can do to get a sheep. It doesn't always work out, but when I come home empty handed, I take pride in knowing I went out there and charged from dawn until dusk. Hunt hard and have fun. A sheep is really just a bonus....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast