Thread: Info on Denali Highway Grayling

Default Info on Denali Highway Grayling

I am heading up to do the Denali highway loop with my son. I am taking four day's to do it, as I have never done the trip I could use some advise. How is the fishing this time of year? I was thinking staying at Tangle Lakes area for a couple day's and maybe head farther towards cantwell with a stop in between for a day. I am also looking to do some small game hunting and scouting for caribou next year. I want too keep my son busy, and I thought the grayling fishing and small game hunting would keep him entertained. Also, what type of tackle/ lures work? Thanks, I hope to make this a memorable trip for my son. Hopefully this time next year we can do the same thing except for caribou on the agenda.

My favorite time of the year to fish that area. The Grayling are accessible all along the highway in most of the small streams and lakes you run across. In Round Tangle, the lake trout start to visit the shoreline and make for easy catching on spinners and spoons. The rocky shoreline below the highway is usually productive for me for lake trout. I normally use a fly rod but if I'm using spinning gear for Grayling, I have decent results with rooster tails or similar. Caught a few lakers on them as well.

Thumbs up

Fly rod, some nymphs, Clearwater Creek, just upstream from the bridge . . fish the nymphs cast upstream . . float back dead-drift . . use a strike indicator . . eggs and grayling for breakfast . .

start with a full tank gas it is a great trip this time of year have a good trip

So did you go?

We went it was a great trip, but the weather wasn't very good. We had rain most of the time with snow in the higher elevations. The rain, wind, and cold made it difficult to do a whole lot with my son. We caught 10 grayling, but only ended up fishing for a couple of hours. The rain and the wind made it difficult to keep my son warm especially with the cold water temps. Mostly had issues with his hands getting cold. I will definitely do it again, but maybe a bit earlier in september or late august. I really wanted to catch a lake trout, but with the limited amount of time that we could fish it didn't happen. I spent more time in the tent than I cared to. If I was by myself, I know things would have been different. Very beautiful country and I will be back again next year for sure. I just will be more prepared next time for the weather.