Thread: fish finders-sonars

Default fish finders-sonars

Want your opinions for a fishfinder,gps combo. The fiberglass ocean boat I have now has an Interphase unit with forward scan and Interphase transducer, but it doesn't seem to do a very good job. Something between 2-4K or less if you have had good performance with less expensive units. Thanks

My Dad has an interphase forward scanner on his power troller and he likes it (for what it does). But it isn't a regular fish finder, my Dad has a separate regular fish finder (commercial Furuno) as well.

I have a Raymarine A70D (fishfinder/gps)and with the AK Platinum card. It has 3d bottom maps, and aerial photo overlays for land (great for boating deer hunting) 3 years ago that was just less than $2,000 with the chip, and it has a real Airmar powerful transducer. Its fishfinding capabailities were much better than Lowrance and Garmin at the time. Today is is still a great unit. For any fishfinder power is key. I am hearing great things about the new CHiRP type fishfinders and HD imaging and structure scan. Lowrance has a lot affordable interface packages (fuel flow, hi-rez imaging etc). The higher end Raymarine is pretty good to. A Combo unit is going to have its limitations though. I am not all that impressed with a co-workers all in one 1 year old supersize Garmin. Raymarine and Furuno should be consered the commercial and higherend consumer models you can't go wrong with, my next choice would be a fully optioned Lowerance. But its all Ford/Chevy/Dodge.

Sobie2

I like anything that has FURUNO on it.
    I run a GP7000F

I'd suggest stand alone units that way if one takes a dump you still have the other. For the sounder i'd go with Furuno, 585 is a nice machine, for the gps sounds like everybody likes garmin, i'm running a old Northstar (bombproof) and i don't know what i'd buy to replace it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I'd echo Potbuilder's suggestion to get two stand-alone units. Redundancy is never a bad thing, and I have had a GPS unit fail on me in the middle of a trip as we were heading home after dark. We made it home fine, but I sure did miss the reassurance of a chartplotter!

I recently got a Garmin 546S GPS/sounder that I use only as a GPS. I also have a Lowrance, and my buddy just bought a new boat and had it outfitted with a Lowrance HDS-7. The fishing charts loaded in my Garmin alone make it worth every penny, and are hands-down better than any charts available on my friend's HDS-7 or on my Lowrance Globalmap unit. As for sounders, I have a Raymarine sounder I have been very happy with, and I know the Furuno FCV620 and FCV585 are both top-notch sounders (with the nod going to the larger FCV-585 with an 8.4 inch lcd screen).

If I was starting from scratch, however, I would go with two Garmin 4208 combo units with a Garmin GSD-24 sounder module. For a LOT more coin you could go with the CHIRP GSD-26 and the appropriate CHIRP transducer, but the GSD-24 is pretty darned good and, I believe, compares well with the Furuno units. If that's a bit too pricey, I'd go with one 4208 and a 546, using the 546 as my primary chartplotter and the 4208 as my sounder.

Good luck with whatever you get!

Chris