Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunting equipment dilemma, need your input!

Default Moose hunting equipment dilemma, need your input!

Im looking to get into moose hunting next year. I've enjoyed sheep hunting, but I'd like to branch out a little more next year. The question is where do I invest my money on equipment. Do I spend the money on a boat, and what type. Or a solid quad set up or Argo? My buddies hunt out towards Delta and do alright with their quads but I've looked at a lot of river rigs and that's kinda got me going. What's your recommendations?

HipBoots

You should buy Hipboots.

Default Moose hunting equipment dilemma, need your input!

I agree with HB. also a fleece jacket that is quiet comfortable and sheds a light rain well. 8x40 or 8x42 binos make low light observation a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by HipBoots View Post
    You should buy Hipboots.
    Funny, yep have those and I'm pretty sure the glass I use for sheep will work on moose too...lookin for serious input. I'ts a big investment I'm looking at and I'd like to get it right the first time.

Dress however you'd like, use whatever means of shooting the animal you'd like.......It don't matter after the easy part is done (pulling the trigger)

Stanley Sharp Tooth carpenter's saw
    ORANGE HANDLED Knife (so you can find it)
    Ratchet Rope
    Game Bags
    Meat Frame Pack
    100 ft. of 1/2" rope.
    A tarp to lay the meat on

These items were the most important.

Had holes all through my hip boots, they only lasted one hard season. Been running Lacross Big Cheifs for years, I'm now thinking of changing foot wear as these ones only lasted one season, they were a personal dungeon for weeks running rivers n creeks. That built in insulation never dries. Finally ended up stuffing a towel in each boot, and stepping on each one, then putting on yesterday's socks that were dry but smelly, and walked around for a half hour to get them to soak up the water. Then......dry socks for the day. It worked OK, but I'll never wear them again.

Having been through the toy stage (several times), I recommend you leave those to others...way cheaper in the end. Find a great super cub & pilot, and pay him $250 an hour when you want to fly in. Rivers? Offer to buy the fuel for a friend with a jet boat...might cost you $500 for the weekend but that's nothing compared to doing it yourself. Saltwater? A Chevron credit card will also make you very popular. 4 wheelers...cheap enough you could run one of your own. Your priorities always change...no need to tie-up a ton of cash in these depriciating assets. Fuel costs have really changed access...you sure don't see all the planes & boats running that you used to...you see a lot of parked toys with for sale signs on them. Share your wealth - you'll meet great folks & make lifelong friends.
    Dr. Phil

Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
    Im looking to get into moose hunting next year. I've enjoyed sheep hunting, but I'd like to branch out a little more next year. The question is where do I invest my money on equipment. Do I spend the money on a boat, and what type. Or a solid quad set up or Argo? My buddies hunt out towards Delta and do alright with their quads but I've looked at a lot of river rigs and that's kinda got me going. What's your recommendations?
    HUrry up and go hunting with your buddies, find out what you like the most! Try to factor in what ever you buy, argo, boat quad, side by side, can you use it other times of year? How high is the over head? My buddy bought a boat for moose hunting, and took it down to seward for fishing. Took him two trips to figure out that betewene the boat and the truck's fuel bill, he wanted a four wheeler!

Plan on tracking your argo or wheeler, if your going to spend that kind of money, USE IT YEAR AROUND! tracks = snow hunts

Pros for argo:
    hauls a TON of weight. Whole moose? No problem.
    tired of the four wheeler crowd? drive it across a lake or pond.
    mows alders and muskeg like a boss.
    with a top and winsheild, your always warm and dry
    wiht a top, you have a built in tree stand

sucky part of argo:
    SLOW top speed, 20 MPH
    no suspension.
    maitnece is key. if you dont like running a grease gun, dont do it
    buying a used one, expect to dump 1 to 3 grand into it for bearings and chains.

Iv got an argo that is solid, and a cheap used 4 wheeler, and two beater snow mobiles. That gets me into more trouble than i can imagine. Iv seen "hunts" with boats that cost 1500 bucks per person in fuel!

if you want the ULTIMATE moose hunting rig (all your buddies will HATE YOU AND ME TOO) Looks like a solid hagglund, with low hours. THERE IS NOTHING in alaska other than the ocean that can beat this. Yes they float fully loaded!

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/rvs/3264655503.html

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    Having been through the toy stage (several times), I recommend you leave those to others...way cheaper in the end. Find a great super cub & pilot, and pay him $250 an hour when you want to fly in. Rivers? Offer to buy the fuel for a friend with a jet boat...might cost you $500 for the weekend but that's nothing compared to doing it yourself. Saltwater? A Chevron credit card will also make you very popular. 4 wheelers...cheap enough you could run one of your own. Your priorities always change...no need to tie-up a ton of cash in these depriciating assets. Fuel costs have really changed access...you sure don't see all the planes & boats running that you used to...you see a lot of parked toys with for sale signs on them. Share your wealth - you'll meet great folks & make lifelong friends.
    Dr. Phil
    I agree with a lot of what you have to say. For me a large part of it is being able to plan my own trips on my time. For me that's what is important. I have found planning around others schedules has caused me a lot of lost opportunities. I also want to be able to take my father and uncles out and I would rather make it a family affair than burdening a buddy on his personal time. That being said I would like suggestions on what type of transportation I would be better off going with. In short what I'm asking is whether a boat increases your significantly over my other options and what type/brand you are partial to. Thanks for all your input!

geeze,

Nobody wants to think outside the box nowadays.
    So it's either spend bunch of money of fuel for a jet boat, or buzz around the countryside on an ATV with dozens of others hunters? Or, destroy the countryside to get away from the crowds with an agro? I say phooey to that logic. How about 300 water miles up the narliest gravel creeks/rivers yah can find, and burning 25 gallons of gas to get a moose and caribou back to the road system?

Freighter canoes are a tradition on my behalf, going back many generations of my bloodline......but others would enjoy the new fuel efficient faddish bandwagon I'd think. Dipnetting with my bigger freighter, I'd only burn about a gallon or two of gas to fill a salmon freezer. These have always been legendary work boats of the north country, I don't know anything different and probably never will.

Aint no stopping a canoe with a Surface Drive, just gotta go slow. I call it my gravel auger, can't hurt it.

Story to follow someday soon, back to processing meat.

Attached Images Attached Images

I wouldn't sink a dime into anything other than a good pack frame and associated meat handling gear. If you're a sheep hunter you'll have most everything else you'll need and should be in good enough shape to walk into a good enough area. A used $500 canoe will get you the rest of the way if you can't.

Boats, Argos, ATVs all have their place but a lot of folks with them just never get the utility from them they thought they would. As bad as I hate to say it, my ATV gets me exactly where everyone else's gets them and I end up out walking them anyway. Last few critters I took, I did it on foot.

Certainly believe saving your money for Supercub time or boat fuel would be a better strategy.

My $.02
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    geeze,

Nobody wants to think outside the box nowadays.
    So it's either spend bunch of money of fuel for a jet boat, or buzz around the countryside on an ATV with dozens of others hunters? Or, destroy the countryside to get away from the crowds with an agro? I say phooey to that logic. How about 300 water miles up the narliest gravel creeks/rivers yah can find, and burning 25 gallons of gas to get a moose and caribou back to the road system?

Freighter canoes are a tradition on my behalf, going back many generations of my bloodline......but others would enjoy the new fuel efficient faddish bandwagon I'd think. Dipnetting with my bigger freighter, I'd only burn about a gallon or two of gas to fill a salmon freezer. These have always been legendary work boats of the north country, I don't know anything different and probably never will.

Aint no stopping a canoe with a Surface Drive, just gotta go slow. I call it my gravel auger, can't hurt it.

Story to follow someday soon, back to processing meat.

Way cool concept with the canoe! Think i may want an inflatable one to pack in the argo. but just for curiosity, they only work from break up to freeze up. What do you do the other 9 months out of the year????

Would a raft with 40 horse or less be a viable option? I want the capability of taking two other people out with me. What kind of watercraft with lower running costs would suit me well. While I'm in shape taking a moose out of the field on my back for long distances is beyond what I care to do. I do like the canoe set up, in just wondering if it's a viable option for what I'm looking for. What sort of cost would you guys consider on a wheeler with tracks? Thanks for all you're input!

I have an ATV and like that I can get out from roads . . . Places like the Ferry trail are cool, because huge 4-wheelers can't (normally) cross the tressel. The thing I like is that an ATV with a winch can help speed processing.

Argos or SUSVs look like awesome rigs, but don't have experience with them.

One guy I know swears by two canoes racked together with a 10 to 15 hp motor. Basically makes himself a portable catamarand. Worked really well for him as he could row or motor and he's hauled a number of moose on it, including a 62"-er.

Canoe with motor great for moose,deer,bear,caribou and back to some sheep country. You can get canoes forty foot or more so there is alot out there for hauling three folks gear and game.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Would a raft with 40 horse or less be a viable option? I want the capability of taking two other people out with me. What kind of watercraft with lower running costs would suit me well. While I'm in shape taking a moose out of the field on my back for long distances is beyond what I care to do. I do like the canoe set up, in just wondering if it's a viable option for what I'm looking for. What sort of cost would you guys consider on a wheeler with tracks? Thanks for all you're input!
    Have you looked into the jet ranger?

Buddy just sold a 2010 RZR with tracks and a cab 11000

figure that there was tracks on craigs list for 2000. Good wheler is 2500 to 5000. Maybe 5 to 7 grand for a used tracked wheeler?
    (but that is two person capacity)

another buddy just bought a BRAND NEW 2013 can am 1000cc comander with tracks, ill post the price when i hear back from him.

think i have seen argos (6 person capacity) with tracks and a cab around 10000... new i think a fully dressed one, cab tracks top of the line, 8 wheeler is 28000. an argo 6 wheeler (cheapest model) is probbably about 15 or 16? you may want to look at Mudd Ox and Max ATVs

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticNorseman View Post
    I have an ATV and like that I can get out from roads . . . Places like the Ferry trail are cool, because huge 4-wheelers can't (normally) cross the tressel. The thing I like is that an ATV with a winch can help speed processing.

Argos or SUSVs look like awesome rigs, but don't have experience with them.

One guy I know swears by two canoes racked together with a 10 to 15 hp motor. Basically makes himself a portable catamarand. Worked really well for him as he could row or motor and he's hauled a number of moose on it, including a 62"-er.
    I get a kick out of the too wide to cross argument and although it is a valid point ... I have yet to be in an area that was too narrow to cross or that I couldn't get around. Please consider that the Argo types (although probably too wide to cross) seem to have a wide stable platform, have a very low bearing footprint (especially with tracks), and can float/swim which seems to be the more common obstacles to ATV's.

How far do your buddies go with their ATV's? If it's hundreds of miles on easy riding trails, its true that your friends would get in and out of there significantly faster.

But then I can't recommend a travel method for hunting the Delta area as I have not hunted there. Good luck!

I think I'm going to look into a jet ranger and a used ATV, thanks for everyones input.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    What do you do the other 9 months out of the year????
    Ice fish from the snow machines n Ice houses, and drink beer/eat moose meat.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    geeze,

Nobody wants to think outside the box nowadays.... back to processing meat.

Great pic and I'm sure a great story to follow.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast