Thread: Boat work

Default Boat work

Who in Anchorage does the best boat repair/rigging/modifications for aluminum boats and outboards?

I think Dave at Heaver Weather Boats is the best AND SECOND TO NONE. That should start a fight. LOL

There are other good shop, it just like Dave shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Who in Anchorage does the best boat repair/rigging/modifications for aluminum boats and outboards?

Can you be a bit more specific with respect to what your repair/rigging/mods require? Dave at Heavy Weather Boats is top shelf and would get the nod from me if major work was required. He is extremely talented and follows ABYC standards.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Boat work

Ben silver streak.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Can you be a bit more specific with respect to what your repair/rigging/mods require? Dave at Heavy Weather Boats is top shelf and would get the nod from me if major work was required. He is extremely talented and follows ABYC standards.
    Well, I've got several possible actions. One, I've got a used boat with a modified transom (set up for twin jets - 115/80 Evenrudes) that is bolted/siliconed on. I think it has developed a leak and I want it all welded up. Second, I want the oilers (VROs) removed with new fuel pumps installed so I don't have to worry about the oilers 40 miles upriver in the middle of the wilderness. I've already had one give me some trouble and that purely sucks. Third, I may want a fuel tank installed in the bow to help with the weight balance.

If I'm not satified with that setup, I may have the boat converted to a single engine set-up. Then I'd put the "extra" engine put on a new boat (something like a Sea-Ark 2072 jet tunnel) and then sell the used boat/trailer/motor.

Heavy weather can take care of you welding, fabrication, and re-rigging needs, but I am not sure he will work on the motors. J kimberly does a lot of work on the older two strokes. They would get my business.

I don't live in Anchorage and have never been to Heavy Weather Boats, but I snapped this picture of a boat in Whittier a few years back. I was impressed what they did to this Hewescraft!

Sobie2
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would recomend AK Frontier Fabrications up in Wasilla. I have seen their work and it is topnotch for sure... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I don't live in Anchorage and have never been to Heavy Weather Boats, but I snapped this picture of a boat in Whittier a few years back. I was impressed what they did to this Hewescraft!

Sobie2
    He then built this boat for the same guy.

A Hickman Sea-Sled design? Someone in Sitka was building those there as well, there are a few still in Sitka today. I don't know how well they do in the slop. They are supposed to be great boats, but I question that. For sure in the calm and small stuff they have to be spectacular.

Sobie2

Yes, it is a Hickman. It apparently does quite well in the slop. It really should be diesel powered, but he has triple 300 suzukis hanging off the back.

Default Boat work

That boat picture work was done at silver streak boats.hevey craft one, Also been seeing quite a few glacier craft boat getting work done on there boats.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    That boat picture work was done at silver streak boats.hevey craft one, Also been seeing quite a few glacier craft boat getting work done on there boats.
    Had an appraisal done on our Glacier Craft by Ben at Silver Streak (getting ready to list it for sell - downsizing). He did mention that he'll be doing some work on 3 Glacier Crafts over the winter. Very professional guy.

Default Inspect work products before acceptance !

I have had work (welding, repair & mods) done by both Silverstreak (Anch) & Greatland Welding (Wasilla).

Both shops can do great work............... however both shops can also do (did) unacceptable work that must be redone.

You must first clearly specify what you want (drawings, sketches, materials, pictures, dimensions, etc......).
    Then be sure to inspect the work yourself at significant stages of completion and prior to final acceptance.

Your clear specification of the work will save you & require them to provide per specification if and when you find something that is not acceptable.

Both of these shops can do a good job, but are much more likely to do so if:

You first specify what you want..............and then hold them to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post

Sobie2
    Wow, that's really impressive. It's hard to even tell thats a Hewescraft!