Thread: Shaw's rifle

Default Shaw's rifle

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with Shaw's Mk VII rifles (of Shaw's barrels) and if so, please let me know what you think.
    Thank you,
    BEE

I was tempted to try a Shaw rebarrel and talked with one of them on the phone, they don't "shoot from the hip" on requests for barrels but seem accomodating otherwise and have been in the barrel business almost since the turn of the century (the 20th) - It seems as though I've read a review on one of their rifles that was favorable ....( BTW, I have not yet sent my rifle to any barrel company for a rebarrel but I think I'll do a Douglas just "because" but that's not a whole rifle either )

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I was wondering if any of you had any experience with Shaw's Mk VII rifles (of Shaw's barrels) and if so, please let me know what you think.
    Thank you,
    BEE
    The Mk VII is a savage action minus the barrel nut with a variety of stock options. I've no experience with the rifle directly, but I've handled a number of 110s (and variants) sans the nut. Shaw's barrels are what they are, but for a hunting rifle they are fine and I've seen them shoot outstanding in a couple of instances. If a person wants a normal factory chambering I'd lean towards a factory Savage and expect it to be every bit as good as the Shaw Mk VII, but if a person wanted a chambering that's not readily available from Savage then they'd be a suitable substitute. Shaw contours tend to be heavy, I'd call them chunky, but otherwise they're okay. IMO you can get a similar rifle for less money and more rifle for about the same, but then that's just my opinion.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Good information !