Thread: lets get this sausage a making...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default lets get this sausage a making...

whipped up my first batch of Breakfast links yesterday, took almost a year to get all the necassary parts in place for it.. such as the back ordered 3/8" and 10mm stuffer tubes,

used the colegen casings for the first time also... makes it fast simple and they cook up great..

i will fill this thread up a days or so at a time... and try to attach recipes that i like for linked meats as we go along... as well some tips that seem to be working as i learn them.

here is 5 of the 30 lbs done so far...

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Aw, m-a-a-a-a-n - - - - - and I just opened this before breakfast !!! Now I'm starvin' ...................................... !

Cute Dora plate Vince...you got a sippy cup to go with that? lol
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Todays project is smoking and drying the pepperoni sticks... having never made them, i am using the Wild Game seasoning for snack stick this year..

I think the BEST tool in this is actually TWO.. a quality Grinder, and a Stuffer, Last year i walked into a good deal on an LEM #32 grinder and 50% cost brand new... its only slow part of the process is ME..

a stuffer really helps with the casing control, and quality, i wont even try to run the tubes on the grinder again. that is a 2 person job minimum...

i packed up 2 one lb Cologene cases... just to see how the mix will work out in an actual pepperoni...

i ground it course first and am ONLY using MOOSE... meat and moose fat. as the bull we shot was HUGE and FAT FAT FAT...

after the first grind i mixed it per the package instruction... I use a mixer, the Hobart i found on Craig's list saves my but! and i can mix all 30 lbs at a time... i also have a 25 lb hand mixed by LEM.. and it does a great job too.. getting the mix done and done well is a critical part of the making. the more you mix the stickier it gets the better it will be.. (i tried 1 lb loads in the wifes kitchen aide... i don't recommend it, unless you plan on buying her the commercial one to make up for burning it up)

then back to the grinder for a smaller grind... i use the med. plate. and from there into the stuffer... let them soak over night in the fridge and ready to smoke today... more after .

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Cute Dora plate Vince...you got a sippy cup to go with that? lol
    i have 2 of them... one for me and one for kiddo.

meet on face book here

THough i know i need to let it set over nite... i am NOT all that impressed with the " wild Game" brand seasoning packet for the pepperoni sticks... they have a good flavor.. but they are not sharp like a pepperoni should be... but rather bland on their part...

just whipped out my first batch of hot dog stuffing... i extra ordered an extra extra small grinder plate.. 1/16 ran it 3 times and added the seasoning in to the mixer, and made my own version of pink slime... Hot Dogs need to be purreed. and i think it did jus that... 25 min in the Hobart with the big paddle on it.. made a nice paste out of the mess... i will stuff and boil them tomorrow as i dont have any ice on hand to cool them off right off...

need to be boils ASAP 20 min... and them ice bathed..

the LiverWurst is coming along nicely.. I chose a Danish Recipe to try first... once i boiled the liver and pork belly... it ground up nicely and will repeat hot dog process on it tomorrow... it then will go into 1 lb.. caseings rather then the 5lb ones Ak saus. puts them in... I found another receipe that put them in 1/2 pints and cans them.... might try a bit of it also...

photo dont show up well in the pot... but heres 20 lbs of hot dog Pre stuffer...

ill take a few shots of the stuffing process tomorrow ... letting it all sit and STEW the flavors over night... and will post recipes with taste tests as they come out..

meet on face book here

Default Hot dog!!!!!!!!!

whipping out the dogs this afternoon...

twisting the collagen cases is a bit of a chore so i had to tie some of them...

then i did the drop in hot water bit.... evidently i didn't understand it correctly.... did it wrong... or just a plain ol screw up... over 1/2 of them burst from the cases fouled the water.. and made a huge mess... ( this is my first attempt at the dogs BTW)

the upper set if from my first attempt... and the lower set is a much cooler water just below a boil...

and then off to the taste testing part...

the kids preferred the UN cooked and only grilled over the par boiled per instructions and grilled dogs.. by a long shot...

the recipe imparts a fair flavor onto the moose meat... i used a small amount of fat in it.. but its still a tad dry for my liking... i may need to add a crapolia load of pork into the dog recipe just to get the texture right..

the liverwurst is next... will keep it small until i get a batch i like methinks...

meet on face book here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwdKNkU85OM this is the recipe i followed along with for the dogs...

meet on face book here

When we cook Cabana we put them in water then bring to temperature for the time required otherwise as you have had the cases just split. Dan.

how are those cases for blowouts? I am a big fan of natural casings but seem to have a decent number of blow outs. It is mostly operator error but I stuff mine off the grinder and only have 1 set of hands. If I had a helper I am sure there would be far less dont make enough sausage to justify buying a stuffer just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    how are those cases for blowouts? I am a big fan of natural casings but seem to have a decent number of blow outs. It is mostly operator error but I stuff mine off the grinder and only have 1 set of hands. If I had a helper I am sure there would be far less dont make enough sausage to justify buying a stuffer just yet.
    i have had a few... usually i see them coming though as a pin hole ... certianly tougher then the natural casing.. but just as easy to rip once filled and twisting... a good solid pinch before the twist is in order, and they dont hold the twist quite as well...

HOWEVER>>>

reload time on the horn is 1/85 of a natural casing..

meet on face book here

just a quick update... turns out its still hunting season... so this thread will resume later...

hopefully will be able to make some Black Bear Breakfast sausages, and will certianly do up some Brats.

meet on face book here

Default Brats

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    just a quick update... turns out its still hunting season... so this thread will resume later...

hopefully will be able to make some Black Bear Breakfast sausages, and will certianly do up some Brats.

Did you ever get a chance to start making some more sausage? I enjoyed reading this thread and look forward to you sharing more experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by akfirefighter View Post
    Did you ever get a chance to start making some more sausage? I enjoyed reading this thread and look forward to you sharing more experiences.
    LOL i have about 100 lbs to pull out of the freezer. and do.. prolly january, i had big hopes for OCT.. but they didnt happen.

meet on face book here