Thread: First float trip, Upper Kenai

Default First float trip, Upper Kenai

I'm heading to the Upper Kenai this Friday to try my first float trip. I've never fished these waters and would like to ask everyone here for advice. Any tips you can provide, whether very general, or down to the nitty gritty specifics, and anything else in between, all input is welcome. I've learned quite a bit this first year fly fishing Alaska, in no small part to the great deal of knowledge shared on the forum. So thank you everyone for that. I'd like to put it all to good use and make this first float trip a memorable one. I hope everyone is well and your lines are staying stretched! Thanks in advance, I look forward to the responses.

Keep your stick on the ice! No wait that's hockey. Always look downstream while on the sticks, there ya go!

I've only floated it once, last year, but I found it was a real easy river to float, from Sportsman's to Jim's anyway. Ya, lots of water, but no real obstacles like the smaller Great Lakes streams I was used to. Didn't have to worry about having enough room through the logs, or rods getting hung up on trees above you, or behind you in a tight spot. Just don't get stupid, like said earlier, keep your eyes on where your going, not where you've been.

Just floated it again a few times last week. Pretty easy float for the first timer. I would stay in the main stream while learning. Remember to point to what you don't want to hit and row off. Watch for the low water spots and keep your sticks up to not catch them on the rocks and have them pop out of the saddles. Have fun!

watch out for preacher's rock!

As far as the float goes it's cake! Just don't miss Jim's or you'll have a long sketchy day! As far as fishing... If you have a bead in the water you will catch fish. Oh and like said before I highly recommend staying in the main channel unless you know what your going through. The braids regularly have trees fallen and can create pproblems, a buddy flipped his raft on one last year and was way too close for comfort!!

Danner that's funny stuff right there.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I'm fairly confident I can handle the water after talking to a few more people at the fly shop as well. As far as beads, I'm pretty well prepared. I'm also going to mix in some flesh flies and a sculpin or two probably. Has anyone heard of any Silvers being caught in the upper? That's the word I got anyways and was wondering if it was likely. I'll have my 7wt along for the ride and plenty of good coho patterns if the opportunity presents itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    What is Preacher's Rock? Is that also where The Preacher's Hole is? If so is it a good spot to hit?

its a big roock in the middle of the river just past the 2nd bridge leaving coppers landing just above the confluence of the russian and kenai. I have never fished there before, but seems more then a few people seem to run into it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowSlanger78 View Post
    What is Preacher's Rock? Is that also where The Preacher's Hole is? If so is it a good spot to hit?
    Befor you hit the water stop by trout fitters, they will point you in the right direction, take good look at their map. preachers rock is a rock that is on the back end of schooners bend. If you stay to the inside and come out on the inside you will have plenty of room advioding it.
    Jake

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I'll be floating it with a friend from school who know's the water as well. So everything is set and I'll be there in the morning. I'll post pics once I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowSlanger78 View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I'll be floating it with a friend from school who know's the water as well. So everything is set and I'll be there in the morning. I'll post pics once I'm back.
    Just as a reminder, we have another wind storm hitting south central this weekend. Be safe out there.

Well, everything went great and we had an epic day. The float was great, fishing was action-packed. Learned alot today, wish I could stay the weekend. I'll post pictures once my buddy gets back Sunday/Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    umm...yeah...for the love of God, avoid preacher's rock! Go RIGHT, GO RIGHT!!
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan