Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 halibut limits-insider info???

Default 2013 halibut limits-insider info???

My fishing buddy from Fairbanks just told me that south central is dropping to a one halibut per day limit in 2013 for all sport fisherman. He said it is going to be announced officially in October. His source of this information was Ken Larson who is a charter captain operating out of Valdez. I sincerely hope this isn't true but I am getting nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    My fishing buddy from Fairbanks just told me that south central is dropping to a one halibut per day limit in 2013 for all sport fisherman. He said it is going to be announced officially in October. His source of this information was Ken Larson who is a charter captain operating out of Valdez. I sincerely hope this isn't true but I am getting nervous.
    Oh great. Another rumor started by some charter captain somewhere. I'll bet this thread becomes a "hot bed" of speculation now.

I'm a charter captain in Homer. I haven't heard anything. Does that count?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

If Andy has his way it will be one fish, and brake out the check book for that GAF fish!

IF it does, it won't be for all sport fisherman, just the charter boat fisherman (my speculation only).

If that's the best thing for the halibut, then it should happen. But, my guess is that it's just dock talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Oh great. Another rumor started by some charter captain somewhere. I'll bet this thread becomes a "hot bed" of speculation now.

I'm a charter captain in Homer. I haven't heard anything. Does that count?
    Not really.

I just talked with Ken Larson about what has been said. He believes that the North Council will put the 1 fish limit in for 3A either at the October meeting or the December meeting this year for 2013. He is just speculating and does not have any new information to pass on.

capt dd,

Just charters or everybody?

Dam!!! First of the EOs for salmon this year and now this for butt next year? I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Just had a feeling. There are just to many people fishing and our oceans cannot keep up. So much for a "renewable resource"... "fishon" or not...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    If Andy has his way it will be one fish, and brake out the check book for that GAF fish!
    What the f&*k are you talking about? If I have my way, someone else can spend 7 weeks a year living out of a hotel and sitting through 350 hours a week of council meetings for free, missing fishing charters and arguing on behalf of the charter industry....any takers?? I didn't think so....

My way would be to have a two fish limit for as long as possible. Ken Larson is is purely speculating on the very unlikely possibility of any bag limit reduction.

I seriously doubt there is going to any reduction to the bag limit in 3A. I think Charter operators will see other measures to restrict harvest, If and only IF, the catch surveys show a declining trend in abundance.

These changes will not be felt by charter clients as much as operators.

Changes as proposed by the Halibut Charter Implementation committee, MIGHT include - elimination of captain and crew fish, 1 halibut trip per 24 hour period, an annual limit on charter clients of 4 halibut or a limit of 1 fish of any size and one small fish.... or some other measures designed to preserve the two fish limit. All the members of this committee have agreed that the bag limit reduction is the LAST CHOICE to keep within our allocation.

All of these measures would have to fail to reduce the harvest sufficiently before we see a one fish bag limit.

So if you want to know what would happen if I have my way, just ask, don't speak for me.

270 last word was just charters but any thing can happen. We just have to wait and see what how many halibut where taken in 2012.

I can't see them going straight to a 1 fish limit. Like Andy posted, they'll do everything first, before reduction to 1 fish. In SE it was a progression and we bottomed out at 1 fish under 37". Now we are working our way back up. Funny thing is that we'd be giddy to be back at 1 "any size" halibut. (that 3a dreads).. but I'm not anticipating that for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Not really.
    Yeah, and I guess you are too blind to see that speculation about something like this is absolutely ridiculous at this point in time. This forum is ripe with rumor mongers and people that say "I think" or, "I heard from someone that so and so told someone that they know that knows their second cousin" and absolutely ridiculous remarks along those lines. What I was saying was "ironic" and "rhetorical" and NOT a serious question. I can't believe you would take it that way! LOL!

Yeah, and I guess you are too blind to see that speculation about something like this is absolutely ridiculous at this point in time. This forum is ripe with rumor mongers and people that say "I think" or, "I heard from someone that so and so told someone that they know that knows their second cousin" and absolutely ridiculous remarks along those lines. What I was saying was "ironic" and "rhetorical" and NOT a serious question. I can't believe you would take it that way! LOL!
    Glad you thought it was funny. I see that you have 4 recent postings on this forum and in all 4 you have negative things to say. That must wear you out.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by akcapt View Post
    what the f&*k are you talking about? If i have my way, someone else can spend 7 weeks a year living out of a hotel and sitting through 350 hours a week of council meetings for free, missing fishing charters and arguing on behalf of the charter industry....any takers?? I didn't think so....

My way would be to have a two fish limit for as long as possible. Ken larson is is purely speculating on the very unlikely possibility of any bag limit reduction.

I seriously doubt there is going to any reduction to the bag limit in 3a. I think charter operators will see other measures to restrict harvest, if and only if, the catch surveys show a declining trend in abundance.

These changes will not be felt by charter clients as much as operators.

Changes as proposed by the halibut charter implementation committee, might include - elimination of captain and crew fish, 1 halibut trip per 24 hour period, an annual limit on charter clients of 4 halibut or a limit of 1 fish of any size and one small fish.... Or some other measures designed to preserve the two fish limit. All the members of this committee have agreed that the bag limit reduction is the last choice to keep within our allocation.

All of these measures would have to fail to reduce the harvest sufficiently before we see a one fish bag limit.

So if you want to know what would happen if i have my way, just ask, don't speak for me.

in case no one has said it lately, thanks for all your time andy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Glad you thought it was funny. I see that you have 4 recent postings on this forum and in all 4 you have negative things to say. That must wear you out.
    I guess you don't realize the futility of people speculating wildly about something they know absolutely nothing about. Yeah, I am "negative" when something "negative" needs to be said. This whole thread is absolutely ridiculous. Where do people get off saying things like, "I think this" or "in my opinion" or "I can't say, but...." or any of the other totally off the wall speculations that none of these people have any clue about or can even DO anything about. And you get comments like the one from MGH55 speaking for AKCAPT. What is up with that?!?! MGH seems to know what everyone else is thinking and it is quite apparent he doesn't even know how to keep what he is thinking straight. AKCAPT has said just about the only thing worth saying here. It is informed and not some wild speculation like everyone else has taken to doing.

Funny how you have to count the "negative" things I have to say AND how you totally ignore any of the "positive" comments I have made and the advice I have given other people to help them find fish or make their fishing experience more pleasurable. You have added your name to the totally biased (and seemingly ignorant) forum members that seem to only find fault in the things I say. Congratulations!

BTW---that "LOL!" was not laughing as in "comical" funny. It is laughing at something that is totally ridiculous like you would do if someone said something you think is totally ridiculous and without merit. Get it!?

Default 2013 halibut limits-insider info???

I have have PMed AKCapt with my gratitude because it is obvious that we are all very lucky to share Alaska with someone so devoted to a publicly managed resource. I encourage others to do the same. Few people realize the breadth of energy required to perform in such a role, so here is my public gratitude. Thanks Andy.
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-14-2012 at 19:03. Reason: personal comments

I guess you don't realize the futility of people speculating wildly about something they know absolutely nothing about. Yeah, I am "negative" when something "negative" needs to be said. This whole thread is absolutely ridiculous. Where do people get off saying things like, "I think this" or "in my opinion" or "I can't say, but...." or any of the other totally off the wall speculations that none of these people have any clue about or can even DO anything about. And you get comments like the one from MGH55 speaking for AKCAPT. What is up with that?!?! MGH seems to know what everyone else is thinking and it is quite apparent he doesn't even know how to keep what he is thinking straight. AKCAPT has said just about the only thing worth saying here. It is informed and not some wild speculation like everyone else has taken to doing.

Funny how you have to count the "negative" things I have to say AND how you totally ignore any of the "positive" comments I have made and the advice I have given other people to help them find fish or make their fishing experience more pleasurable. You have added your name to the totally biased (and seemingly ignorant) forum members that seem to only find fault in the things I say. Congratulations!

BTW---that "LOL!" was not laughing as in "comical" funny. It is laughing at something that is totally ridiculous like you would do if someone said something you think is totally ridiculous and without merit. Get it!?
    Then why not just say nothing at all? Your whole post here has nothing to do with the OPs question here, and there was no advice in your post.

I for one thought it was a good question. If I had heard that from a friend that was in the know about things like that I would probably ask as well. I hope that the limit doesnt go to one fish, but if it does we still have other fish in the sea to target when we go out.

And to Andy, thank you for your service and time serving

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post

I have have PMed AKCapt with my gratitude because it is obvious that we are all very lucky to share Alaska with someone so devoted to a publicly managed resource. I encourage others to do the same. Few people realize the breadth of energy required to perform in such a role, so here is my public gratitude. Thanks Andy.
    And I thank Andy as well. What he is doing is a wonderful service to us all.
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-14-2012 at 19:02. Reason: referenced edited comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Then why not just say nothing at all? Your whole post here has nothing to do with the OPs question here, and there was no advice in your post.

I for one thought it was a good question. If I had heard that from a friend that was in the know about things like that I would probably ask as well. I hope that the limit doesnt go to one fish, but if it does we still have other fish in the sea to target when we go out.

And to Andy, thank you for your service and time serving
    The absolutely mindless and meaningless comments that have been made here are absolutely useless and have absolutely NOTHING to do with the question that the OP put forth. That is MY opinion. Am I not allowed to voice my opinion about the subject of a thread!? I'm getting extremely tired of the mindless comments from people that think they are allowed to say whatever they d@^ned well want to say, but put me down for voicing my opinion. And funny how it is the same people over and over and over and over and over and......well you get the picture. As I have said a thousand times now, if you don't like to read my comments then just don't read them. That's really simple. Why in the world do people complain that I have absolutely nothing worth reading to say, but obviously these people are reading what I have to say. Duhhhh. Once again, if you don't like what I have to say then just don't read it. And I'll bet you that you just got through reading this even though you don't like what I have to say. LOL!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast