Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Kiwi's Need Information

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5

    Default Kiwi's Need Information

    I was hoping some of you more experienced fishermen would share some of your expertise with some Kiwis which intend to visit Alaska for a spot of fishing.

    We intend to fish for King & Silver Salmon & Halibut. Could you please advise on
    • Appropirate fishing gear to take, i.e. suitable reels & line configuration
    • Suggested clothing for visiting in August 2006
    • Places to visit, we are in Alaska for 8 days,its a long way from NZ so we want to make the most of our visit
    • Ideal footwear
    • things we should consider
    I would appreciate any suggestions.

    Thanks
    Cheers

    Dave

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    196

    Default Fishing Trip

    The items listed are for beach/river fishing for silvers. Rain gear along with some heavier clothing to keep warm. A good set of chest waders, polarized sun glasses, bug spray, a medium action spinning rod with 10-12 pound test line. Fly rods go with a good 8-9 weight with plenty of backing.

    For Halibut/King's I would recruit a GOOD charter operator in which case they will supply all the gear.

    Shawn Gornall
    Ultimate Island Adventures
    Kodiak, AK

  3. #3

    Default Where?

    Alaska is a big state. Where are touching down? Anchorage or somewhere else?

  4. #4

    Default

    Where do you live in N.Z?My wife and I have been there several times fishing both south island and north island.Depending on when you come and where you go you will find the fishing in Alaska quite spectacular.I would recommend the Bristol Bay area.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5

    Default

    At this stage all I know is we land in Anchourage and then go to Homer.
    Cheers

    Dave

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Sam
    Where do you live in N.Z?My wife and I have been there several times fishing both south island and north island.Depending on when you come and where you go you will find the fishing in Alaska quite spectacular.I would recommend the Bristol Bay area.
    Sockeye sam: I live in Christchurch. I was brought up on the banks of the Rakaia river which as you probably know is one of the best Salmon rivers in New Zealand. We are looking forward to the trip. When are you coming back down here?
    Cheers

    Dave

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shawn
    The items listed are for beach/river fishing for silvers. Rain gear along with some heavier clothing to keep warm. A good set of chest waders, polarized sun glasses, bug spray, a medium action spinning rod with 10-12 pound test line. Fly rods go with a good 8-9 weight with plenty of backing.

    For Halibut/King's I would recruit a GOOD charter operator in which case they will supply all the gear.

    Shawn Gornall
    Ultimate Island Adventures
    Kodiak, AK
    Shawn: We are not going to bring rods, due to the hassell. But would any of the following reels be appropirate to use

    Abu Garcia Ambassodor 7000 with 50lb Braid
    Abu Garcia Ambassdor 6500C3 with 50lb braid
    Shamino TLD20 with 150Lb braid
    Alvery salt water Fly reel with 50lb nylon on it
    Cheers

    Dave

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beaker
    At this stage all I know is we land in Anchourage and then go to Homer.
    I have just found out we are going to Soldotna
    Cheers

    Dave

  9. #9

    Default

    You might want to do a Combo Halibut/Silver Salmon charter out of Homer, other options are Black Sea Bass or Clamming if tides are right. The reels are good choices, but line class is a bit overkill, I use a 25lb mono for silvers (6500,7000) and 80lb braid for Halibut.
    Tight Lines, Frank

    Alaska Wildrose Charters
    www.wildroselodge.com

  10. #10

    Default

    If I can talk her into it and my finances hold up we will be back next Feb.We have been in Chrishtchurch a couple of times and stayed at the Chateau- on-the Park.It is a nice city.We have done our fishing over at Wanaka.
    We fished in the Soldatna last summer.It was in August and the Silvers were running.If you have a choice try and find a guide in the Sterling area.(It is about 20k east of Soldatna.It is a less crowded section of the river.If you want a recommendation i can give you the one we had.

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27

    Smile Ak Kiwi

    Hello I'm a Kiwi who works here in Alaska.I'd recomend using a charter boat's Halibut tackle and perhaps buying your Salmon gear here as its bloody cheap and you can take it home to impress your mates.

    Clothingepends on where you are going but,summer clothing levels for a Thar hunt in the Twizel area should be good.Fleece and a bit of a raincoat would be ok,again outdoor gear retails here for the wholesale price back home!

    If you plan to go fishing on under your own steam bring your Waders,and some tramping boots to wear on the walk in.Its not unlike the climate back home here in the summer.So my boss has just turned up and I'd better look like this is work related!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •