Thread: After a slow start...

Default After a slow start...

...I was able to get a proper limit on Monday 9/10. It certainly wasn't gangbusters but I limited by 11am. Seven mallards and one pintail. It was a nice day for a solo hunt though a bit crisp in the early hours with the clear weather. I tried to use a jerk string for the first time and was pleased with the results. I got a few birds to commit without even using the call. I attached my swan deeks to the jerk string for maximum visiblity and confidence and it worked to great result. I shot a triple of mallards and gave the dog some good retrieving work. The dog had to race the resident eagle that is attuned to the sound of my Benelli, but the good guys won and I went home with a full strap and a tuckered pup. I'd try to add some pics but the birds arent that colorful this time of year.

dodger

Congrats, and glad to hear the dog beat the eagle. I had one steal a banded bluebill when I was doing a sea duck hunt down in Seldovia. We had 4 birds on the water, and the one he had to grab was the banded one! I have a hatred for them while duck hunting for that.

It's amazing what a length of parachute cord, and a bungie cord can do to bring birds in
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

"the one he had to grab was the banded one!"

What a bummer... I have yet to shoot a banded bird... I would be pretty upset if that happened to me... It makes a good story though.

dodger

Congrats on a good hunt dodger!!!

Your first proper limit of ducks is something you will remember the rest of your life! Congratulations! That would have been something else if it was all 8 mallards.. Either way that is a heavy pack!

I should have said a "proper limit for this season." My opener was slow.... very slow.... as were the several hunts to follow. I'm sure y'all would agree that the slowest day in the blind still trumps most any other day. I had my 9yo boy with me and his enthusiasm in looking for birds and experiencing his second hunt ever was still well worth the price of admission. Still, I'm glad the birds are moving and the hunting is picking up.

dodger