Thread: Need some wisdom

Default Need some wisdom

So I'm not an experienced Bird hunter by any stretch but I enjoy getting out. I am thinking about Spruce Grouse as there are many in my area (Mat-Su). I have a Rem 870 12 ga which works, but also I recently purchased Browning Cynergy also 12 ga. Is this way too much for Grouse? Should I go open chokes with lighter shot?
    I get many people who think I'm nuts for using #5 shot for rabbits but ya know, it only takes one pellet to do the deed and quick.
    The reason I ask is I normally use a .22 LR, but a guy with said Browning has got to get it out and use it right.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

To each his own...grab whichever one you want and go get 'em!!

I use 5 shot on roosters in November when they are jumpy, I would say 7 1/2 shot would be plenty for any grouse up here, just make sure its a gameload. Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by BaptistRyan View Post
    So I'm not an experienced Bird hunter by any stretch but I enjoy getting out. I am thinking about Spruce Grouse as there are many in my area (Mat-Su). I have a Rem 870 12 ga which works, but also I recently purchased Browning Cynergy also 12 ga. Is this way too much for Grouse? Should I go open chokes with lighter shot?
    I get many people who think I'm nuts for using #5 shot for rabbits but ya know, it only takes one pellet to do the deed and quick.
    The reason I ask is I normally use a .22 LR, but a guy with said Browning has got to get it out and use it right.
    Ryan, congrats on your first post. You'll find that scrolling down and searching past threads is your friend. The search function on this site isn't that effective in my opinion but you can also dredge up some decent material using that method. Follow the link below to a recent thread that discussed this very topic. Mr. McCann, arguably Alaska's preeminent upland hunter, gives a nice discussion of chokes and shot selection.

Take whichever is most comfortable and that you can swing most effectively in confined spaces. My experience in the confines of forest hunting is that you want those pellets to spread out ASAP.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-a-little-info
    Go Big Red!

Your 12s are fine for grouse or ptarmigan, just shoot low velocity one ounce loads. A load of shot has no idea what gauge gun it is shot from. Over many decades of shooting at gamebirds I can clearly suggest size 7 1/2 as a great all-around choice for grouse and ptarmigan. But if conditions are windy a person won't go wrong with 6s at open country birds like sharp-tails and ptarmigan, especially when they are spooky.

And by the way...in terms of choke for forest birds a person really needs no choke at all, but a Skeet choke is a fine choice in my opinion.

Good hunting to you!

Jim

Thanks everyone. I hope the rain quits and I'll be in the woods in a few hours.

Jim,
    I loved the book, I keep reading the dogless hunter chapter as that's me. Well I hope everyone has a great season and look forward to more interactions on this site.

Glad you enjoyed the book Ryan. I hope your upland season gets better as the season progresses. I sure had another bountiful day today when the dogs and I brought home another five sharptails. Thousands of sandhill cranes flew above, as did a golden eagle, a peregrine falcon, a few northern harriers and several kestrels. Dogs got lots of work on a lot of birds and had a blast.

Jim