Thread: First Feathers (hopefully)

Default First Feathers (hopefully)

Heading out tonight south of Fairbanks after work to try and bag a couple sprucies or maybe a taconite turkey. Gotta find em sooner or later! Ill post a report tomorrow. If I get anything I'll post pictures of their crops.

Got out last night from 630 to 930 NE of Fairbanks. Saw 5 spruce hens and 1 taconite turkey. Missed one and shot one. 10 week old brittany Toby got on it; I was impressed he covers the field like a natural and found the bird immediately! Neither dog is gunshy with the 12 ga either, (already shot the 22 by them previously) which I'm happy about. As soon as Toby got ahold of the bird both dogs proceeded to take off back to the truck where a game of tug of war occurred, I'm happy that they are wild about birds, we'll work on manners later! All birds seemed to be moving around from 730 to about 845. The crop was full of needles even though we bumped him in about a 5 yr old aspens stand with lots of rose hips in the under story. Saw all grouse in or next to similar cover low on the hill side. I'll post pics later today. Happy hunting!

Glad you and the dogs got into some birds! You have much more work ahead of you with the dogs, but it should be fun.

You'll find that spruce grouse turn to eating needles very early, even though a plethora of more desirable food abounds. Just the way they are. I suspect photo period triggers this response.

Jim

I have the pictures but I can't figure out how to post them off of my google photo album. It asks for an URL but wont post the picture on here. I can upload them onto my account on this site because it only allows me 48.8 KB can someone point me in the right direction or help me post them? Thanks!

Ill be back at it this next four days. And I'll post a report. My quarry is the elusive taconite turkey, we'll see how this one goes!