Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Geese and Ducks on the flats

  1. #1

    Default Geese and Ducks on the flats

    We hunt in an area where there are large tidal flats that the geese and ducks love to hang out on during low tide. We are fairly successful hunting ducks in the river, the ponds and in the saltwater when the tide is in. But I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on hunting strategies for hunting out on the flats. There are a few small stumps and the occasional tree that is washed up but other than that there isn't much cover. I've considered a laydown but that would likely turn into a mud fest right away, a pit would fill with water during the next high tide and it seems like any type of blind would stand out like a neon light. I've considered hauling a tree out with my boat and anchoring it off but not sure how well that would work. At any rate, was wondering if anyone has had any success on this front?
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  2. #2

    Default

    Pit blinds are illegal in Alaska anyway last I checked.. Sounds like your best bet is a large tree with an anchor attached to it, maybe anchor it with a buried cinder block or something, or consider a small layout boat and give it a good coating of mud to help it blend it. Either way, sounds like your going to get muddy... good luck!

  3. #3

    Default My bad

    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Pit blinds are illegal in Alaska anyway last I checked.. Sounds like your best bet is a large tree with an anchor attached to it, maybe anchor it with a buried cinder block or something, or consider a small layout boat and give it a good coating of mud to help it blend it. Either way, sounds like your going to get muddy... good luck!
    Yup pit blinds are right up there with smoke bombs and lasers-my bad.... I have been looking at one of the smaller layout boats from Cabelas. Gonna have to come up with some good reason for another boat to give my wife.....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  4. #4
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    I hunted the salwater around Palmer hayflats for a number of years before i got tired of fighting the tides and switched to the lakes and ponds. 30ft tides here can be he!!. going out on a low tide, or a little before low tide is great. The edge of the flats here have drops of about 15-20 ft and more with many jagged edges to set a blind in or hide behind. leaving 30 ft lines on deks you set in shallow puddles can cause problem with tangle when the tide comes up. also, current gets very strong here and usually have to chase down some deks that wash away. If you are at near low tide and the tide goes out a bit further, it can leave you and boat stranded for a long time til the tide comes back up. Also have to watch out for the suction of the mud, once had to crawl out of my waders when boots were stuck and go home without them. I often did have good success hunting the edge of the flats, easy to hide, problem is finding puddle to drop deks in when you are above the low tide line. Budon mud.JPG
    Wasilla

  5. #5

    Default

    The area we hunt doesn't have big drop offs-the flats go out quite a ways and the flats are hard without any sink holes. We did learn our lesson when we first hunted this area years ago regarding making sure we had enough line on our decoys. We had one day of chasing floaters all over the place before we got that one figured out. That must have been a pretty funny sight... We can hunt the edges of the flats when the tide is in but when the tide is out it's difficult to see all the birds sitting 200 yards out on the flats. I think we may try to tie together and tie down a few downed tree tops out about 150 yards and see if that will work. Thanks for the input.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  6. #6
    Member sharps5090's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    36

    Default

    [QUOTE=AK_Marine;1173657]Pit blinds are illegal in Alaska anyway last I checked..

    I believe it is legal to use a pit to conceal a hunter for taking waterfowl, better known as a pit blind. It is illegal to use a pit to trap an animal.

  7. #7

    Default

    [QUOTE=sharps5090;1176060]
    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Pit blinds are illegal in Alaska anyway last I checked..

    I believe it is legal to use a pit to conceal a hunter for taking waterfowl, better known as a pit blind. It is illegal to use a pit to trap an animal.

    Actually if you look at the AK Waterfowl regulations (Page 6 of 36) it does state that it is illigal to "Use a pit, fire, etc etc."
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  8. #8
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Actually if you look at the AK Waterfowl regulations (Page 6 of 36) it does state that it is illigal to "Use a pit, fire, etc etc."
    That regulation actually comes from the general hunting regulations. As explained to me years ago by a trooper it applies to digging a pit for an animal to fall into. It has nothing to do with a pit blind for waterfowl hunting.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    That regulation actually comes from the general hunting regulations. As explained to me years ago by a trooper it applies to digging a pit for an animal to fall into. It has nothing to do with a pit blind for waterfowl hunting.
    I don't think that is correct. If you read the regulations it clearly states that the "following regulations apply to taking of waterfowl". Amoung the illegal methods are with a rifle, a pistol etc etc and using a pit. Clearly using a rifle is legal for many types of game it's just not legal for waterfowl. Nor is hunting for waterfowl using a pit. I would assume that means that a hunter couldn't use a pit but maybe it also means you can't use pits "capture" birds. Good luck with that...
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    I don't think that is correct. If you read the regulations it clearly states that the "following regulations apply to taking of waterfowl". Amoung the illegal methods are with a rifle, a pistol etc etc and using a pit. Clearly using a rifle is legal for many types of game it's just not legal for waterfowl. Nor is hunting for waterfowl using a pit. I would assume that means that a hunter couldn't use a pit but maybe it also means you can't use pits "capture" birds. Good luck with that...
    Well on second read I'm not so sure. I just called ADF&G said it was a "good question" and they are checking into this and will get back to me. Stay tuned....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

  11. #11
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Well on second read I'm not so sure. I just called ADF&G said it was a "good question" and they are checking into this and will get back to me. Stay tuned....


    Yeah, there's a guy in Delta Junction who rents out pits in fields for cranes/geese. It's a well-known fact that he does (did) it. I'm pretty sure ADF&G has been aware of him doing this and if there were anything illegal about it he would have been shut down years ago.

    That's just my two cents, though. I've hunted in several pit blinds in the lower 48 and I haven't heard of them being illegal. Sink boxes, on the other hand, are a different story...

  12. #12
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    pretty sure pit blinds are legal.....sink boxes are not.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  13. #13
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    would have to second that. cnt see pits being illegal.



    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Yeah, there's a guy in Delta Junction who rents out pits in fields for cranes/geese. It's a well-known fact that he does (did) it. I'm pretty sure ADF&G has been aware of him doing this and if there were anything illegal about it he would have been shut down years ago.

    That's just my two cents, though. I've hunted in several pit blinds in the lower 48 and I haven't heard of them being illegal. Sink boxes, on the other hand, are a different story...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  14. #14
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    pretty sure pit blinds are legal.....sink boxes are not.
    We have a winner. Tell him what he wins Duckhunter01

  15. #15
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Well AKDuckman....Kwakkillncrew has won an exclusive 2 day duckhunt of his choice with yours truely in the new Aluminum Duckhunter manufactured by Tollerboats.com. Motored by a brand new 12hp copperhead in my private honey hole during the 2013 Waterfowl season.

    Items needed

    Must bring dog
    coffee for 2
    strong back
    shells for one person (approx 3 boxes of hevi shot #4s
    lunch and drinks
    Gas approx 5 gals or funds
    Min 5 dozen decoys
    positive attitude
    blind bag filled with complaints(must remained zipped at all times)
    only a shaker call is allowed
    dog will not be allowed to retrieve ducks..but must obey the sit or watch command while observing owner retrieve downed birds.
    camo is optional


    Disclaimer Statement:
    I will not be held responsible for heath concerns, near death experiences nor hypothermia.
    I recommend bringing a firestarter to keep warm or a bic lighter in a sock.
    If hunter is still willing to attend the second day of the hunt. He will be allowed to bring his gun.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  16. #16
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Well AKDuckman....Kwakkillncrew has won an exclusive 2 day duckhunt of his choice with yours truely in the new Aluminum Duckhunter manufactured by Tollerboats.com. Motored by a brand new 12hp copperhead in my private honey hole during the 2013 Waterfowl season.

    Items needed

    Must bring dog
    coffee for 2
    strong back
    shells for one person (approx 3 boxes of hevi shot #4s
    lunch and drinks
    Gas approx 5 gals or funds
    Min 5 dozen decoys
    positive attitude
    blind bag filled with complaints(must remained zipped at all times)
    only a shaker call is allowed
    dog will not be allowed to retrieve ducks..but must obey the sit or watch command while observing owner retrieve downed birds.
    camo is optional


    Disclaimer Statement:
    I will not be held responsible for heath concerns, near death experiences nor hypothermia.
    I recommend bringing a firestarter to keep warm or a bic lighter in a sock.
    If hunter is still willing to attend the second day of the hunt. He will be allowed to bring his gun.


    I was going to jump in and say I'd technically won first, but I'll bow out and pass the winnings on to Kwackkillncrew!!

  17. #17
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,838

    Default

    I'd take it over Kwak - but my dog don't listen that well - and she shoots the birds for me - meaning - she's got the gun and I ain't argu'in with her.

  18. #18
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    I don't think that is correct. If you read the regulations it clearly states that the "following regulations apply to taking of waterfowl". Amoung the illegal methods are with a rifle, a pistol etc etc and using a pit. Clearly using a rifle is legal for many types of game it's just not legal for waterfowl. Nor is hunting for waterfowl using a pit. I would assume that means that a hunter couldn't use a pit but maybe it also means you can't use pits "capture" birds. Good luck with that...
    If you read the big game regulations the exact same language appears on page 18 of the general hunting rules. It covers all game hunting not just waterfowl.

  19. #19
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    So I just called ADF&G because I'm curious. The guy I spoke with told me that you couldn't use pit blinds. I explained our stance about pit blinds vs. digging a pit for game to fall into and he said he'd go verify it for me. He told me he had checked into it more thoroughly, and pit blinds are illegal. However, I'm still not convinced because he sounded like he didn't really know. Maybe I'll call AWT.

  20. #20
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    An LT with AWT is going to do some more research and call me back. He said, most of which I already knew, that you can't dig a pit below a water line and hunt from it (sink box) and that you can't dig a pit and put spikes in the bottom of it to try to trap game that way. When I said I didn't mean either, but meant in a field to use as a blind to hunt waterfowl when using even a layout blind wouldn't be hidden well enough, he said he wasn't entirely sure, would look it up, and would call me back. I'll post his response here when I hear back from him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •