Thread: Rifle for the Wife

Default Rifle for the Wife

My wife is in the Market for a new rifle she would love to get just one for everything deer-Brown bear. I think this could be a real strech. I was thinking a 7mm-08 would cover her for most things. Any body have thoughts or suggestions?

.30-06 in a Rem 700 Mountain or Browning A-Bolt Stalker OR if you really love her get her a Kimber Montana. I like to stick with easy to find calibers for an all around rifle. You have to think ahead where you and your wife may be on a trip and go on a once in a lifetime hunt just to find that for some reason, the airlines lost the bag with your ammo or you forgot to pack it, whatever, you will most likely find .30-06 ammunition anywhere in Alaska from Petersburg to Nome and anywhere in between if you need it as well as just about any small mom and pop shop that sells ammo in the 48'. Not to mention, .30-06 is going to be cheap. Common calibers you will find almost anywhere will be; 7-08 Remington,.270 Winchester (not the WSM), .308, .30-06. I've seen stores which didn't order ammo anymore which had a few old dusty boxes of the mentioned calibers on hand.

Something along the lines of 358win in a lever gun with good recoil pad fits the need fairly well.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AkTroutBum View Post
    My wife is in the Market for a new rifle she would love to get just one for everything deer-Brown bear. I think this could be a real strech. I was thinking a 7mm-08 would cover her for most things. Any body have thoughts or suggestions?
    The most important part of this post is the first TWO WORDS (my wife), take her to SW or some gun shops and let her pick one she likes. The Length of Pull (LoP) may have to be adjusted to her. YOU CAN'T pick one out she'll be happy with ! Once she picks out HER rifle then worry about the caliber as not all calibers are offered in all brands of rifles. A caliber based on the 308 case would be adequate in most cases for her; these would include the 260 Rem, 7-08 Rem, 308 Win, 338 federal. As the caliber goes up so will the recoil, this could be a factor as she is likely to choose a shorter/ lighter rifle.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Rifle for the Wife

I'll trade.........I got too many rifles, and no wife.

brav makes a good point - have her be a part of the process. Take her to Boondock Sporting Goods in Eagle River. They have a great selection and 1-2 women on staff that can help out. They convinced me of the merits of the 7mm-08 and then my wife came in to find one that fit her well (a Remington Model 7 Youth, as my wife is only 5'0" tall). She's taken caribou, deer, and black bear with her rifle thus far, and she's never needed more than one shot. It's a great caliber, though if she wanted to pursue a brown bear I'd probably want something larger to back her up with. Other than brown bear and bison, though, I think it's a perfect do-all caliber.

I don't think I'd try to do it all in one rifle. Start her on something in the range of 7-08 to 30-06 for the horned critters and black bear, then if she's still got brown bear in her blood a few years down the road, she'll have the shooting experience to take on something with more recoil. But I'd hate to saddle her with a caliber that leans toward brown bear as a starter. You just might sour her on the whole deal, and a wife that enjoys hunting is too valuable to risk with a gun too big too soon.

thanks guys we have been to Boondocks and found a few that fit right I was just looking for the caliber suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by AkTroutBum View Post
    thanks guys we have been to Boondocks and found a few that fit right I was just looking for the caliber suggestions!
    Consider this advice worth what you paid for it. Buy a 7-08 to start her off; Then after she's run through a significant amount of ammo and animals and wants a larger caliber for larger animals. Buy a new take-off barrel in your next caliber (for the same length ammo) and have a gunsmith change them out.Just a few sighter rounds and she's back in the field. You keep the barrel that comes off and can change out as needed.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

We currently have a youth savage lefty 7mm-08 and a righty Ruger compact in 308. We usually run 150's in the Ruger and 140's in the Savage 7-08 and the felt recoil is astonishingly different for only a 10 grn change in bullet weight. The Ruger absolutely beats the snot out of me!! I blamed it on the short length of pull for the longest time, since my wife shoots it great with her shorter arms. That said the Savage with the same LOP is a kitten for me to shoot and my boney 10 year old son can easily put a box through it off the bench and still be begging to shoot it some more.

I see very little reason not to own a 7mm-08 if there are youth or female hunters/shooters in the house. They are just fun to shoot and easy to get comfortable with. They will kill everything up here if you do your part, though I would honestly look elsewhere for a bison and big bear cartridge.

A lot of folks have the deer through brown bear gun...but they are all gravitating to the heavy end. I see no issue with shooting a deer with a .300,.338 or .375. The other way around? i.e. a 7-08 on a Brownie? er, not so much.

As mentioned previously- let her pick out the rifle. .260, 7-08, 7x57, .308, .270 will all get her through a lot of the animals AK has to offer. If she wants to tangle with a brown bear or draws a bison tag down the road- a new rifle is in order!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Rifle for the Wife

I'll trade.........I got too many rifles, and no wife.
    Rifles are MUCH cheaper than wives!!

Mine has had a Mark X in 7x57 since 1984 and it kills everything you shoot with it. No big bears but it will sure handle a moose. A .260 or 7/08 in a gun that fits her will work fine.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Rifles are MUCH cheaper than wives!!

Mine has had a Mark X in 7x57 since 1984 and it kills everything you shoot with it. No big bears but it will sure handle a moose. A .260 or 7/08 in a gun that fits her will work fine.
    I've seen and owned some expensive rifles, with women it's the maintenance that gets you.

brave01 is giving darn good advice on the "plan" and ALL the advice on the 7mm-08 is as good as it gets - as we "all" know, there are phenoms in the universe that just work and the 7mm-08 is one of 'em - 7mm is as good a caliber as there is and the .308 case is as well,both = "good"

and as an extra note, make sure the rifle you choose has a good recoil pad and the scope is something with 4" of eye relief