Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: things to do near anchorage airport?

Default things to do near anchorage airport?

I will be flying into anchorage from kodiak on sept 27 I have to wait at the airport for a connecting flight from 6 pm to 2 am. Was wandering what things are near the airport for an out of towner to do/ any suggestions as I will not have a vehical? thanks Todd
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

If you were coming in earlier, I could come up with some easy stuff. At that time of night, there isn't much to do unless you want to take a taxi somewhere. If the weather is nice, a walk around Lake Hood would be nice. Me, I'd just curl up in a corner with a book.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Grab a taxi and head to the Bear Tooth Theatrepub. It's a movie theatre that serves really good food and excellent beer from their own brewery in the theater. Tickets are only three dollars, but it's easy to spend a few dimes on beer and food, though both are well worth it at the Bear Tooth.

The Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum is right on Lake Hood next to the airport. Not sure if there is anymore but there used to be a shuttle that would take you back and forth.

http://www.alaskaairmuseum.org/

I just had to kill eight hours there last week. Skip the cab. You can rent a car downstairs for $45 for 8 hours. It will allow you the freedom to drive around. A cab will cost you nearly the same with tip, anyway. I'd go downtown to 6th Avenue and stop in at Humpy's and have some beer batter fried halibut and an Alaska Amber Ale. If there is a game on, you can kill time there. Though most shops will be closed, it is still fun to walk around downtown, if you are from out of town. I might also drive up into the mountains around dusk. You might very well get to look at some moose.

Don

do get the halibut @ Humpy's - it's the best !

I would nominate Mooses Tooth Pizza. Best Pizza in town and they have their own Beers on tap as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stangracer72 View Post
    I would nominate Mooses Tooth Pizza. Best Pizza in town and they have their own Beers on tap as well.
    Same pizzas are available at the Bear Tooth, along with steaks, pasta, burritos, tacos, etc. And their beer is way, way better than Alaskan Amber.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Same pizzas are available at the Bear Tooth, along with steaks, pasta, burritos, tacos, etc. And their beer is way, way better than Alaskan Amber.
    You guys are duds! Go hammer away on Budweisers. That fancy beer and pizza crap are for the eagle river high society folks!
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-11-2012 at 21:49.

I'd go eat at Orsos...man I like that place, then swing next door to the brewery.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Alaska float plane museum is pretty interesting and right across the street

Guys, can we give the discussion of a certain establishment a rest? Some of our newest members are very young and they signed up after recent successful hunts to share their stories and pictures. We don't need to go down that road with this thread. If the OP wants to find such entertainment, I'm sure he can figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'd go eat at Orsos...man I like that place, then swing next door to the brewery.
    That right there is some excellent advice. You might want to clean up after your hunt (not really necessary at the Bear or Moose's Tooth), but man, the food at Orso's is incredible.

Ah man buzzkill...

If you like Asian Cuizine go down International and have dinner at Dish. The New York steak is fantastic!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Plenty -o- time to drop a line in the water at one of the local ponds/lakes just buy one of those cheap collapsible poles

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Default things to do near anchorage airport?

I would also rent a car, head over to Moose's Tooth for some pizza and then drive up to Flat Top to watch some of the moose. There should be some decent bulls thrashing around if you take a 1-2 mile hike on the power line road there.
    If your on a budget, the People Mover bus will take you right from the airport to Bear's Tooth and runs until about 10 do you would be able to make it back ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Ah man buzzkill...
    HAHAHHAHA. I would just go downtown and tear it up. There's some great times there. Just make sure you make it back in time I''ve headed downtown for a pre-flight beer and **** near missed my flight. Multiple times haha

Kincaid Park is very close. It's a pretty sweet public park thats only a few miles away and it's loaded with giant moose that should be rutting full swing right then. It would be a good place to go moose watch until dark. Seriously has a really robust moose population that is very used to visitors.

Then, go to Obrady's Burgers & Brew on huffman road. Way better than the pizza joints and much better selection of Irish whiskey.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Peanut farm (sports bar/grill) is another block down international right on old seward and international, you could at least watch a game and have a beer
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-12-2012 at 21:47.
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast