Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grind Meat... what to do, what to do?

Default Grind Meat... what to do, what to do?

I have aprox 17lbs of grind meat from my Caribou. (my share of the grind meat) Still planning on taking a moose. Planning on doing the caribou up in Jalapeno Cheddar dogs.

Opinions for where it should go? I have always had good luck with Alaska Sausage and Seafood. I have heard great things about Indian Valley.

Would love any personal experience opinions please.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

AK Sausage and Seafood has better sausage than indian valley. Used IV twice and AK Sausage this year. AK Sausage is far better, a little higher in cost but worth it if you use a processor. I do all of my own grind since getting someone elses nasty meat back from IV 3 years ago and we've been experimenting with making our own sausage but used AS for dogs this year. I will probably make all my own next time and save the expense of a processor.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    AK Sausage and Seafood has better sausage than indian valley. Used IV twice and AK Sausage this year. AK Sausage is far better, a little higher in cost but worth it if you use a processor. I do all of my own grind since getting someone elses nasty meat back from IV 3 years ago and we've been experimenting with making our own sausage but used AS for dogs this year. I will probably make all my own next time and save the expense of a processor.

That is exactly the type of response i was looking for.

Thanks!

Had great luck with Pioneer meats in Wasilla. There Jalapeno cheese dogs are GREAT(can't wait til lunch time ) and the pioneer slims are some of the best hunter sticks I've had. I've used IV in the past but was never too impressed with there sausage products, seemed kind of bland. AK sausage must be good, they have there commercials like every 10 minutes on the radio, "just tell them herb sent you!" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Had great luck with Pioneer meats in Wasilla. There Jalapeno cheese dogs are GREAT(can't wait til lunch time ) and the pioneer slims are some of the best hunter sticks I've had. I've used IV in the past but was never too impressed with there sausage products, seemed kind of bland. AK sausage must be good, they have there commercials like every 10 minutes on the radio, "just tell them herb sent you!" lol.
    I have to give Pioneer Meats a big thumbs up, as much as I love their jalapeno cheese dogs and pioneer slims their jalapeno and mozzarella summer sausage is pretty amazing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    I have heard Pioneer is awesome. Difficult to find time during the week for two separate trips to the valley and back....

I always tell them Herb sent me and it doesn't seem to make any differance

Quote Originally Posted by PWCAlaska View Post
    I have heard Pioneer is awesome. Difficult to find time during the week for two separate trips to the valley and back....

I always tell them Herb sent me and it doesn't seem to make any differance
    I work in Anchorage and live in the Valley. It's only 17 pounds so you don't have much to work with but if you PM me, we can set up a drop off and I'll do the delivery/pick up for you for a small protein fee.
    Go Big Red!

Have to agree Pioneer is the best. Will be dropping off my Moose for burger on Thur and my Bou for slims, dogs , ect.. on Wed. Good luck

I've not tried Pioneer, but had great luck with Sausage & Seafood. Just took our moose there last week. Some of those Pioneer products sound pretty yummy, though.

Heard good things and tasted a lot of good stuff from mat-valley meats. Jalapeno Cheddar dogs, pepperoni sticks, bulk sausage, etc..

I've never taken meat to a proccessor. I usually take my grind meat and vac seal it in 1lb bags. Then when I want spaghetti I take a lb and season up some fresh italian venison sausage, or breakfast sausage or just burgers, whatever.

If you have 6-8 weeks, take it to Indian Valley. I'll never go back there... You would have thought I learned my lesson two years ago when it took a month to get my moose burger back, last year was 7 WEEKS! A friend of mine took his in at the same time and it took almost 3 month to cut/wrap/ship him his meat. I honestly don't know how they stay in business. I don't care for any of their proccessed meats either, it all tastes like salt pork no matter what it is. Way too much salt and nitrates.

Sausage and Seafood is way better IMO.

Just got my Liverwurst, Pastrami, and pepperroni back from IV meats just 10 days after drop off. I used them for years without a problem, I do have my burger ground by Kenai premier meats in Kasilof, its done the next morning every time.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Grind Meat... what to do, what to do?

I have a couple easy recipes for turning that grind into chorizo or italian sausage (uncased), send me a PM if you're interested. Just did 12lbs of Italian sausage and 5 lbs of chorizo.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

check the panty forum... lots of good sausage recipeis in there... and i will add a few more i hope later... todays batches to experiment on are Pepperoni, hot dogs, and making liverwurst.... will report back later on which recipe workds best.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    check the panty forum... lots of good sausage recipeis in there... and i will add a few more i hope later... todays batches to experiment on are Pepperoni, hot dogs, and making liverwurst.... will report back later on which recipe workds best.
    If there is a panty forum, i dont think anyone would be reading this one.... Im gonna go look.

We've always had great luck with Indian Valley, never had any issue with the final product or the amout of time it takes to get it. You get your meat back too, if you bring in the minimum amount for a batch of your choosing.
    I brought some into Ak Sausage and had some hot links and mooseroni made, it was awesome, BUT you DON'T get your own meat back...although the final product was good, this is something I'm not crazy about since not everyone who brings game in there is as picky and careful about field handling and meat care as I am(and probably most of you are).
    We grind our own burger though, and mix in 2-3% bacon ends which you can buy at most any meat department. It's excellent.
    If you were on the Peninsula and wanted sausage made, I'd take it to Avery at AK Custom Meats, he now has his place in the Custom Seafood Processors building in Soldotna. I usually get a black bear each Spring and have most of it made into his breakfast sausage. Everything we've tried from him has been very good. You also get YOUR meat back from him.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

[QUOTE=CareBear49;1174020].
    BUT you DON'T get your own meat back....
    hence big reason i do my own... though for years i had to as i could not afford to have it processed. and we just went with out the links of various flavors...

in all i have spent a small sum on processing equipment but in reality the total cost of it has already been re paid in NOT paying for processing after 2 moose....

often i will do my cutting and wrapping/ grinding in the fall and then spend a week in the deep of winter making sausages... and I Know whats in it... no pork, no beef, no fillers, no body eleses..... cool thing is as i get better at it... more folks help me along.. like yesterday i ended up with an 8' stainless steel counter top from when they re furbed the fred meyers meat dept a few years ago... free..

not saying everyone SHOULD do their own.. but my experiance with some of the products and lost meat ive had over the years.. has told me.. i will NEVER use one during the busy season again... and as i feel... i spent a lot of time effort and money PLanning, going and harvesting the critter... i should put as much effort into its tasty care.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm with you Vince. Can't really afford the proccessor, well I could, but I'd rather spend tht money on a new toy instead. I like trying new things, nope never use that recipe again, or dam that was good and like knowing what all goes into it. Not a big fan of taking my venison and mixing it with pork or beef, if I wanted pork or beef I'd hunt pigs and steers. Also gives me something to do when it occasionally rains here in Kodiak.

Pioneer gives you your own meat back. I believe there is a 20lb min

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast