Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what kind of duck is this?

Default what kind of duck is this?

Shot it late morning, what is it? It was with another duck of the same breed, none other around (on a small pond at around 11 or noon) from my research it looks like a gadwall, but I am not to good with duck breeds, I shot one like this last season too, in the evening not to long before dark, The pic isnt to good, but it is grey on the back and a white belly. a little brownish on the head.

Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

FurFishGame
    From the discription and the what I can see in the picture it looks like a Red Head to me. The only other duck I can think of that has a head that color is a Cinnamon Teal but I dont think the backs are really gray, maybe on imature birds? Thinking about it I dont know if there are Red Heads in AK or not. Shot the heck out of them in WA though.

Check this link out it may help out
    http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id/redhead

Wish the picture was better..but looks like a scaup, definently a diver species. No gadwall there. Not a redhead for sure..no black breast and bet the eye was not yellow.. Cant see the feet to well..but look to be lower on the body and gray in color. Meat will be dark and still eats good..

In regards to the scaups or divers..the short bill, feet back, fast flying, low to the water and usually in pairs or larger groups that bank and curl around decoys spreads. They approach low and fast, feet outstreatched and skid into the decoys. Not very vocal for a bird. Lots of fun to shoot if you get a big flock to pass by..sometimes by dropping one or two the others will circle around and come back for a second look thinking the others landed. Very social bird and will decoy easily..most often they will hit the deocoys early in the morning or later in the day.

few differnet species of divers out on the flats..Redheads, Cans, Greater and lesser scaups, ringnecks etc. Earlier in the season little difficult to tell the difference on a few in hand..but in flight they all do the same thing when flocked up.

Earlier there was talk on cans..look for the solid black line crossing their chest while in flight, white belly with that long pronounced neck an long bill..pretty easy to see the differnence on them in the air. Redheads often get mistaken for Cans..but the gradual sloping forehead and long bill gives them away early in the season.

I will leave you with if that duck lying on the truck tailgate has yellowish or lightly orange color and feet are about 2/3 back on the body. It might be a gadwall.. but that would mean the bill would have to be very simular to a hen mallard in color and spots etc....lol
    Good luck..hope it helped.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Look at the bill, Goldeneye

Hard to tell from the picture. If you have the wings still, take a picture of them and that will probably help, or if you have dressed it out yet take some more pictures from different angles.

One more time. It's a goldeneye

Just look at the dogs face. Why did you shoot this thing dad.

Good call Bob..forgot about that one..lol
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

yellow legs, dark bill, I agree with Duckman, definitely a goldeneye
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post

Ding ding ding! Winner!

FFG, why shoot if you don't know what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Ding ding ding! Winner!

It was a little brown duck and it was flying? Can't fault him too much, birds are really tough to ID in flight up here. Not an excuse to break the law, just reality. Now, if he had an 8 bird limit of cans...

My bad, Good call on the Goldeneyes... I guess after two years of not hunting them I better go back to duck ID school myself......or get more sleep before posting... So are there bills and red heads in Alaska?

golden eye. easy. on their wings there should be big white patches
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

AkDuckman........you are such a know it all.............you said " One more time. It's a goldeneye" and your right..............Duckdon

Yep, 100% goldeneye

Another thing that will help you in the future FFG is listen to the sound that the goldeneye wings make. It's very distinct, you can tell what they are before you even see them with that sound.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Ding ding ding! Winner!

Why that poor kid he just trying to feed his family thats all.... Thats why I don;t mess with duck hunting at all to confusing and I don;t want to learn and besides I hear duck don;t taste all that great anyhow.

I will take you out next year if interested...will help you out and I know my kids will love the extra hearts and gizards...lol

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Why that poor kid he just trying to feed his family thats all.... Thats why I don;t mess with duck hunting at all to confusing and I don;t want to learn and besides I hear duck don;t taste all that great anyhow.

Looks like a barrows goldeneye hen to me. I shot a pair last season, a drake and a hen. Tasted great opposed to the common goldeneys I used to shoot in the rivers back in Washington

Definately a Barrows goldeneye hen... I love shooting them late season in the salt... they come into the decoys at full speed and provide some quick shooting. Good times...

dodger

No doubt in my mind at all.
    That's definitely a dead duck.
    (QUACKQUACK)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast