Thread: To bone or not?

Default To bone or not?

Wow, that title is awesome!!!!! So anyway, if you were going to be camping/fishing/hunting for 2 weeks on the road system, only means of keeping things cold is the ice in the cooler how would you care for bear meat for that amount of time? Thinking I'll try and take my bears the last week I'm up there. Also, would you bone the meat or leave it on the bone? I packed my goat out on my own, but them black bear quarters that Brian had a pic of looked heavy.

if I recall your other post you will be down on the Kenai. If so and you score I would consider taking the bear to town and either have it processed or kept in a cooler. You can keep it good in the field but 2 weeks seems to be stretching it. I am sure some others may know better then me on that. We used to keep moose hangin for a week or better.. I prefer on the bone..less cuts to trim when crusted, easier to hang...ect

I debating taking a second cooler, load it with salted ice and bone the meat out on the mountain, that should just about freeze it. I normally leave the meat on the bone until I get home to butcher it here, bu putting it in a cooler, think it'll take up way to much space on the bone.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

most black bears fit right in a cooler once quatered out ... or even just split in half
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I wouldn't attempt to keep meat in a cooler for 2 weeks boned or not...particularly bear meat which doesn't particularly "age" well. Do yourself a favor and get it to a processor as quickly as possible- particularly if you're on the road system.

Most of my attempts at boning meat in the field didn't work out as well as I liked and in the end just wished I hadn't.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

No question in my mind, don't bone it. Reduced cuts equals reduced contaminats. The most crucial element is getting the meat off the animal cleanly and cooled ASAP. The initial growth of contaminants should be retarded. That will help your cause and may allow long term storage.

Or run to town.......

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I debating taking a second cooler, load it with salted ice and bone the meat out on the mountain, that should just about freeze it. I normally leave the meat on the bone until I get home to butcher it here, bu putting it in a cooler, think it'll take up way to much space on the bone.
    The enemies of long term storage in a cooler is the added moisture and lack of air circulation. That is why game bags are typically made of breathable fabric instead of non (or less) breathable plastic.

keeping the meat on the bone will help as others have suggested...

We had friends that hauled a freezer in the back of their pickup truck along with a small portable generator. System kept their meats frozen for extended periods without the hassle of 1) ice/salt changes and 2) uncertainties whether almost frozen was good enough.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Trying to keep meat in a cooler for two weeks is an exercise in futility...and a waste. Meat absolutely must be kept as dry as possible...and that aint possible for two weeks in a cooler with ice, not matter how hard you try. Take it somewhere and have it frozen.

Ya, I figured 2 weeks was pushing it, and that bear bacon that was mentioned in another thread sounds awesome. So who can you guys recommend in the Cooper/Kenai/Soldotna area? Rather not go up towards Anchorage to drop off as when I leave, it's not on the way to Homer to pick it up. Wouldn't mind driving to Kenai area to drop off as I can pick it up on my way home at the end of the hunt.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Ya, I figured 2 weeks was pushing it, and that bear bacon that was mentioned in another thread sounds awesome. So who can you guys recommend in the Cooper/Kenai/Soldotna area? Rather not go up towards Anchorage to drop off as when I leave, it's not on the way to Homer to pick it up. Wouldn't mind driving to Kenai area to drop off as I can pick it up on my way home at the end of the hunt.
    Echo lake meats

If your on the road system just run it to a locker. Pretty simple, takes a couple hours at most and no worries. Best of luck.