Thread: Brown Bear Hunting Guide

Default Brown Bear Hunting Guide

Hey all ..... I'm hoping someone can give me some recommendations and hopefully I'm posting in the appropriate category. I'm wanting to hunt spring brown bear, but am wanting a 10 day guided trip. I have seen prices from about $10,500 to $22,000 for these hunts and am wanting to get a QUALITY hunt with high success rate, but I can't break the bank on it (Just like most people I'm looking for the highest quality for the best price). There are A LOT of guides and websites out there and was curious if anyone can share either personal experience or insight.

Thanks in advance!

Default Brown Bear Hunting Guide

Check out Peterson'sBristol Bay Outfitters. Guide:Jason Fawcett. He's a good friend of mine and a stellar guide
    petersonsbristolbayoutfitters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Atdymoke2 View Post
    Hey all ..... I'm hoping someone can give me some recommendations and hopefully I'm posting in the appropriate category. I'm wanting to hunt spring brown bear, but am wanting a 10 day guided trip. I have seen prices from about $10,500 to $22,000 for these hunts and am wanting to get a QUALITY hunt with high success rate, but I can't break the bank on it (Just like most people I'm looking for the highest quality for the best price). There are A LOT of guides and websites out there and was curious if anyone can share either personal experience or insight.

Thanks in advance!
    Are you looking for coastal Browns or interior grizz. The next spring season for the peninsula is a couple of years away(every other spring) so if you are looking for next spring then you may want to look at Kodiak.. If you are waiting till the following spring I would consider looking at R&R out of cold bay. If you can draw a unimak tag you will have the finest tags out there. Rod also has some other areas that produce some big bears if you dont score a tag and he has some of the best quality hunts and a extremely high success rate. If you are looking at Kodiak I would look up Jake(BRWNBR) on the forum here and I am sure he can help you out,another is Gus Lamoureux he is also on Kodiak.. If you are looking for a great Brown hunt in western Alaska I would highly reccommend getting a hold of ninefoot on here for details on that one... Lots of good ones out there and lots of these areas are permits for res and non res(I assume you are res from your location). If you need to ask some specific questions feel free to pm and I will help you if I can
    Dave

You have a couple active brown bear hunting guides on the forum that might fit the bill. Take a look at www.blackriverhunting.com & pbadventures.com.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

PM SENT,Check your mail box.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Pacificmountainguides.com

Otto is a top notch guide and sure gets some great bears. Photos speak for themselves..

We have a couple on this forum thaat would be a pleasure to hunt with and done the right way. PM BRWNBR or Ninefoot
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Hidden Alaska Guides and Outfitters

You might check out Master Guide Mike Bowden. He owns "Hidden Alaska Guides & Outfitters". He's not a large outfit but he has a great hunting area. His spring grizzly hunt is based out of his lodge and is done on snow machines on those long spring days. The lodge itself has two guest cabins, all with wood heat. He even has a nice wood-fired sauna. It's a beautiful place. He gets a lot of repeat customers, but he might have an opening for spring. He's out in the field right now, in sheep camp. But he told me he would be back in early October. He does have a radio telephone at the lodge, and he usually ends his season out there.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    If you are waiting till the following spring I would consider looking at R&R out of cold bay. If you can draw a unimak tag you will have the finest tags out there. Rod also has some other areas that produce some big bears if you dont score a tag and he has some of the best quality hunts and a extremely high success rate.
    I know some of the R&R guides. I haven't met Rod personally, but they seem to do really well out there.

Yk

Thanks in advance!
    Are you an Alaskan resident? Just noticed your location and was curious why you are looking for a guide?

Thanks for the tips guys, it certainly narrows down the field. I'm really open to either spring or a fall hunt and am looking to get out in 2014, but need to start the planning phase with an end cost in mind now. I am an Alaska resident, but I don't have anyone to go out with and really don't have knowledge or access to the "hot spots". Wife won't let me go out alone ..... probably a good thing!

I am not going to push you away from hiring a guide but as a resident there are some really good opportunities out there. I can certainly understand your position. According to your info you live in Wasilla so If you would like to get together sometime to talk about bear hunting or guides and what to look for in picking one just send me a pm I would be happy to do it.
    Dave

atdymole2, I highly recomend you get together with Dave who posted #12 just before my post. This guy is TOP notch and his offer to help is genuine.Share a beer or coffee and get this hunt planning under way. Good luck in all your endeavers.

Heck if you want to a hunting partner and offer to pay your partners half and your own half of a brown bear trip I am sure you would find plenty of willing and knowledgeable hunting partners for a lot less than a guide will run you.

If I don't draw a brown bear tag this winter I might even be interested in meeting up with you and talking about a hunt on the Alaska peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Heck if you want to a hunting partner and offer to pay your partners half and your own half of a brown bear trip I am sure you would find plenty of willing and knowledgeable hunting partners for a lot less than a guide will run you.
    That's a great point. You could shell out $10k or more for a guided hunt, or you could put down $3-4k for a remote fly-out with an experienced partner and get just as good of an experience...except for the fact that you might need to cook your own meals and pack your own hide back to camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That's a great point. You could shell out $10k or more for a guided hunt, or you could put down $3-4k for a remote fly-out with an experienced partner and get just as good of an experience...except for the fact that you might need to cook your own meals and pack your own hide back to camp.
    If you find the right partner he or she might pack the hide back to camp if you do all the cooking, and we are not talking Mt House meals!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    If you find the right partner he or she might pack the hide back to camp if you do all the cooking, and we are not talking Mt House meals!
    Yeah, now that I think about it, if someone wants to pay for me to go on a fly-out bear hunt, I'll cook their meals, pack their hide, do the fleshing, and just about anything else short of cuddling for warmth at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yeah, now that I think about it, if someone wants to pay for me to go on a fly-out bear hunt, I'll cook their meals, pack their hide, do the fleshing, and just about anything else short of cuddling for warmth at night.
    If we are talking far out on the Alaska Penn I might be talked into cuddling, but my clothes are staying on! None of this you have to be nekid to prevent hypothermia crap.

I'm not sure if people are serious or not, but if someone experienced and knowledgeable is will to put up with me for a week I would be willing to pick up a reasonable fly in cost (no cuddling needed, but I'm a horrible cook .... Mt House is as good as it gets). If someones interested in a hunt and can do the planning and arrangements I'm up for it.

I'm not sure if people are serious or not, but if someone experienced and knowledgeable is will to put up with me for a week I would be willing to pick up a reasonable fly in cost (no cuddling needed, but I'm a horrible cook .... Mt House is as good as it gets). If someones interested in a hunt and can do the planning and arrangements I'm up for it.
    Atdymoke2 shoot me a pm and we can talk....

Roland thanks for the kind words you sir are a class act...you have even inspired my to do a hunt write up of my all time favorite professional hunt..