Thread: POW deer numbers this year

Default POW deer numbers this year

Curious what people have heard about where the deer population on POW is this year. I've heard conflicting things, from that it's at a 20 year high to a bad winter kill still affecting things... hope it's the former!

There are fewer every day.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Fawns took a hit, adult deer did OK. Although it is always geographical that is what I gather to be an accurate statement. You should be able to track something down.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

So how's this for an unanswerable question - I'm currently debating how many tags to buy... If chances were good that I'd be able to fill them all, I'd buy four... (planning on hunting with a longbow but will have a rifle backup if needed). Not looking for trophies, just deer for the freezer. Going to be hunting the NE corner of the island... any takers on a suggestion?

Well if you are going to take a rifle you better buy 4.

Herd I saw at the end of my driveway - no fawns, no antlers - explanation?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Herd I saw at the end of my driveway - no fawns, no antlers - explanation?
    Gooch:

I sent you a PM.

Interesting, Gooch. Definitely seems to support your hypothesis about how the winter went. Are you on the south or northern part of the island?

Never seen does group up like that. Especially this time of year. usually that would be a group of nubbins and spikes.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by npaull View Post
    So how's this for an unanswerable question - I'm currently debating how many tags to buy... If chances were good that I'd be able to fill them all, I'd buy four... (planning on hunting with a longbow but will have a rifle backup if needed). Not looking for trophies, just deer for the freezer. Going to be hunting the NE corner of the island... any takers on a suggestion?
    Why don't you just buy one or two and if you fill them you can run to town and buy more. How fast you fill them is going to depend on how quickly you abandon your bow for your back-up rifle.

Deer numbers seem to be ok still but personally I'm not seeing some of the older age class bucks in places I usually do. Circumstantial but...

GOOCH!
    The answer is that you are such a stud that you attract all the females on the Island. Next spring look out for a bunch of four legged, gooch looking, fawns running around. LMAO.

Deer numbers seem to be ok still but personally I'm not seeing some of the older age class bucks in places I usually do. Circumstantial but...
    Interesting Fullcurl. Guess it may make sense - a hard winter kills the old and the young... for me I'm just looking for meat bucks, so if there are decent numbers of spikes or forkies I'll be a happy hunter...