Thread: mech vs fixed

Default mech vs fixed

With the change in reg's this year who changed broadheads, who did not and why? I didn't change anything, been shooting 3 blade muzzy for 20 years and they work as good now as then.

pretty much what you said Fergy..no change for me.....muzzy then muzzy now

Being an elk guide. I can tell you numerous horror stories about using mechanicals on elk. I imagine the problems would just be magnified on moose. Sure, folks will kill moose cleanly with them from time to time. But I wouldn't want to take that chance just because my bow wasn't tuned properly and I didn't want to take the time to get those broadheads flying like the should.

An elk guidefriend of mine back in Montana also can tell many horror stories. On a coupleof occasions he has had a client kill a bull that was shot the previous yearwith a mechanical that didn't open. He no longer allows mechanical on his property.

I can tell you numerous horror stories about using mechanicals on elk

No change, still shooting Shuttle-T's. Arrows are 507 grains at 275 fps. No problem with a full pass thru on a caribou this year. I won't shoot two arrows at the same spot on the target either due to cutting vanes or breaking shafts. Scary accurate, but that's the point. I struggle with the idea of buying something that could fail when the T's fly so well.

I have taken a ton of game with muzzy 3 and 4 blades, many other fixed as well. Spent 2 full seasons trying several different mechanical's and wouldn't ever use another. There is no problem getting a fixed to fly right if you learn a little bit about tuning a bow and you take ethical shots within a range you are capable of....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Funny I thought I might stir the pot a little with this thread, but the only ones talking are the believers in fix blade. Starting to think I would have gotten more if I would have asked how many blades do you need on fixed blade. Thanks to all who responded....Still shooting 3 blade muzzy on the hoyt, and 2 blade on the Hatfield. Both are deadly comes down to blood train or penetration.

In my limited bow shooting career with the new speed bows out it was getting harder and harder to get fix broad heads to fly. There are guys putting arrows together weighing right at 350 grains to 400. With the pse x force, the bowtech speed bows the mechanical was the answer took a lot of guessing out of it. If you run heavy arrows with speed around 300 f,p.s or less in those speed bows fixed fly perfect. I got my x force to shoot fixed head real good with keeping my arrows heavy.

You just don't need more than a couple of these to bleed something out. Goats may be the hardest animal in Alaska to anchor in place with a bow, and this one only went 50 yards.

If your bow won't shoot Shuttle-T's like your practice points, then your bow is not tuned properly to start with. I rarely practice with practice points, but they fly right there with my Shuttle-T's.

28" cut shafts
    100-gr Shuttle-T on one end
    Accunock and FOB on the other
    420 grains total weight

Reezen 7.0 chrony'd at 308fps

This topic has been covered a lot. Basically: more parts = more possibilty of problems.

My Magnus SS Snuffers fly just fine.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012